Track for battery/radio control?

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
jim s-w

Re: Track for battery/radio control?

Postby jim s-w » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:31 pm

My only real question is how strong would it be if a loco slips while trying to pull away. Would you get grooves like the real thing can in extreme circumstances?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:58 pm

I've recently been building some very nice French laser-cut building kits. In one of them, everything was laser-cut - including things with cylindrical sections like drain pipes, which just proved to me that just because a certain technology allows you to try to do something, it doesn't follow that it should. Same thing with 3D-printing, which can we're told be made to make almost anything, but that doesn't mean it's the best solution. IMO rail is one of those things where it isn't. Experience will in time allow this all to settle down ...
Rod

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:22 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Same thing with 3D-printing, which can we're told be made to make almost anything, but that doesn't mean it's the best solution. IMO rail is one of those things where it isn't.

Hi Rod,

Whether it's the best solution doesn't really come into it. Almost certainly it isn't.

The question is, is it a feasible way for someone who hates track-building to get say, a curved outside-slip in 5.5mm/ft scale for Irish 5ft-3in gauge?

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 am

Thanks to those who expressed an interest in this. I can report some progress -- plastic rail: Image

Quite a long way from a proper BS-95R section, but probably as close as is feasible on home filament printers. It looks better at normal viewing distance than this cruel close-up.

More info on all this at:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?i ... 012#p29012

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

ClikC

Postby ClikC » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi Martin,

This is excellent, always good to see additive manufacturing being trialled for things. Much is made of the great successes of science and engineering, but often one doesn’t always appreciate the mountains of failure every success is built upon.

I’ve been intrigued by the concept of radio controlled, battery powered model railways for a while. To my mind, it allows for two key things; 1) Machined metal wheels and axles without bits of plastic insulation ruining the wheelset’s running qualities due to tolerances and deformation in assembly, and the ability to make functional track circuits and automatic block signalling.

Can I offer a suggestion though, can you make it so the 3D output files (presumably .step) from Templot include or exclude the rails as an option.

3D Printing the trackwork and S&C as just sleepers and chairs, then just sliding in lengths of rail as-per “track bases” from other manufacturers has a big appeal.

Regards

Matt
Matt Rogers

Return to “Track and Turnouts”