Rivet Press 2

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
trustytrev

Rivet Press 2

Postby trustytrev » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Hello,
I understand the groups rivet press/punch is no longer viable due to the cost of a basic press needed.
I wonder if the machined parts would be viable for using with a bare press sourced by the purchaser.
Failing that are there any dimensional drawings available for making ones own parts?
trustytrev. :)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Re: Rivet Press 2

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:35 am

Some years back I made some press tools for the stores using some cast aluminium embossing tools that Jeremy was able to source. These do not now seem to be available. The drawings I used then were simple pencil sketches but they could be re-drawn. However some of the dimensions, and possible the overall design may need changing to suit whatever type of press you obtain.

Send me a PM with your address and I will let you have the drawings I did and a picture of the finished thing but not until the end of next week. With a bit of luck I may even get the idea written up for publication in the News.

Terry Bendall

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:45 am

The Stores listing states that the Press Tool, combined Punch & Rivet tool, although out of stock, is occasionally available second hand from the stores. Please enquire.

Worth contacting Jeremy.

Sometimes these also appear on the Bring & Buy at Scalefour North or Scaleforum.
Steve Carter

trustytrev

Postby trustytrev » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Hello Steve,
Been down that route but have been unsuccessful. I saw one on ebay but it went to someone else.
I think most people go the plastic chair route now.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:28 pm

Has anyone tried this rivet tool? https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/riveting-piercing-tool

At that price I might give it a go.

Steve

trustytrev

Postby trustytrev » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Hello,
I think the screw part of the procedure using it would quickly become too monotonous.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Indeed it would be much to slow, as well as being the wrong size.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

TonyMont

Postby TonyMont » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi All,
I have read many requests for riveting tools over the years, may I let you know that I have been using the tools in the attached photograph for about forty years. If the press tools could be sourced these presses are both cheap and plentiful.
Before writing this I checked ebay searching for office press there were about ten on the first page, average price £10.00.
They may need a little bit of modification but only a hacksaw and file are needed, plus maybe a drill for the tool mounting holes.
All the best.
Tony.
Press tools.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trustytrev

Postby trustytrev » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Hello Tony,
That is just what I have been thinking for quite a while. Or even making something to use in a drill press.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Its always been the tools rather than the press that are scarce.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

trustytrev

Postby trustytrev » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 pm

Hello Keith,
I think from what others have said that it was the initial cost pf the presses that made the production of the whole thing just too expensive.
If just the machined parts were available perhaps the cost could be low enough for someone to manufacture them again.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:15 pm

That may be so, although I would suspect the tool cost would be the higher of the two. And before Ebay I imagine most old letterpresses just sat in attics or went in the skip as businesses stopped using them.
Perhaps worth asking for a price from those who make the rail filing jigs.
Nb. One problem I find currently is that the rivet heads are not as accurate as they used to be and they jam in the channel in the tool which needs widening to suit.
Rgds
PS. There was a period when the letterpress ceased production and we had to get bespoke presses made, that was probably when the press got very expensive.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 pm

It would be down to Jeremy to respond over the cost of the letterpresses which I know he investigated a few years back. Some designs do not have sufficient space where the press tool fits and it needs a bit more than a few minutes with a hacksaw and a file. Having checked the ones that Jeremy was able to source they needed some changes made with holes needing to be enlarged.

I made some press tools some years back and a nominal charge was made to these but that was in 2016. Once I get some drawings done I can see how much the firm who makes the filing jigs will charge. However the job is fairly labour intensive and the setting up costs of the machines will be significant.

As already mentioned the drawings will be published so those with the skills and the equipment, or who know someone who has them, can try making their own. It does however need access to a milling machine or a lathe with a vertical slide.

Terry Bendall

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Can I put every one straight with regard to the Letter Press part of the punch tool.
We used to buy the letter presses from the legal stationers, Oyez and cost was less than £20 each. The last time I wanted to buy some the price had risen to £90 plus VAT, that was in 2017. They now don't list them anymore. The trouble with buying them in singles from ebay is that they are not all the same so the standard tooling may or may not fit.
I have bought a couple of different presses on Ebay at less than £15 each, which could be used to do the job but need to make some tooling to fit them that all takes time which I have not had much of over the last couple of years.
IMG_5434.JPG
IMG_5433.JPG

And there is this one on ebay at £14.95, cheaper when to buy more than one.
IMG_5436.JPG
This last one looks quite neat for what we want I shall be buying one.
Volunteers to have a go would be a help as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

Bill Newstead

Postby Bill Newstead » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:09 am

I've just had a look on Ebay and it seems £14.95, or thereabouts, is the price of a die set only. Press plus dies is in the range £60 to £70.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Gr ... 2559416789

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Hand-P ... 0005.m1851

Regards

Bill

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:45 am

These appear to be £20: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Press-G ... a7668fe493

regards

Alan

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:09 pm

And, remarkably the machine looks identical!
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Track and Turnouts”