Rivet Press

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Serjt-Dave

Rivet Press

Postby Serjt-Dave » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:51 am

Hi All. As I'm just to about to embark on the process of track making. I have decided to change from plastic sleepers to ply ones. Only problem is I don't have a rivet and hole punch press and they are not available in stores.

Does anyone have one I can borrow, hire or buy from them please. I'll be at the Scale North Show next month to save having to post it.

All Best

Dave

garethashenden

Re: Rivet Press

Postby garethashenden » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:55 pm

It’s not as precise, but I’ve successfully used a pair of pliers to press rivets into sleepers. It’s very straight forward on plain sleepers, turnout sleepers need to be drilled first. If you can’t find a press this may work as an alternative.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:06 pm

I had one once but goodness knows where it is now! I mark the rivet position on the sleeper from the template using a pointed scriber (gramophone needle in a pin-chuck) and then open out with a 1.2mm drill. If the hole is slightly tight a fine round needle file rotated in the hole works wonders. I squash the rivet with parallel closing pliers, giving it a tap on an anvil (vice jaws, weight from old Lima diesel etc.) to flatten it underneath and/or giving it a rub over with a flat file to ensure the bottom surface is flat.

PeteT

Postby PeteT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:55 pm

Another alternative is using the EMBA ply bases (see Ralph's topic), which are laser cut and have the rivet locations included so presumably push out.

http://ec2-52-56-128-123.eu-west-2.comp ... duct_id=56

edited to add that these are available from the stores too, so will be at S4N.

HTH,
Cheers,
Pete

Serjt-Dave

Postby Serjt-Dave » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks for your help there guys, much appreciated. Thankfully I think I've now got a press sorted. The thought of drilling all the sleepers wasn't very appealing but I know I will have to do some anyway.

As for the EBMA track bases, that would be a great way to go but most of the point work I have to make are curved and or non standard crossing. I'll probably use them for the fiddle yard etc.

Thanks again.

Dave

trustytrev

Postby trustytrev » Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Hello,
People may find this product useful for punching holes in ply sleepers if they are unable to source a combined rivet/press tool.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BeadSmith-Metal-Hole-Punch-Pliers-Choose-from-1-25mm-1-5mm-1-8mm-Short-Long-/183274159265
Just need to figure how to make something to press the rivets neatly, possibly in a pillar drill. :?:
trustytrev. :)

Return to “Track and Turnouts”