Working point rodding from DCC Concepts

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Martin Wynne

Working point rodding from DCC Concepts

Postby Martin Wynne » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm

DCC Concepts have just released a new system of working point rodding. Or at least I assume it's new, otherwise why have they suddenly sent me an email about it?

It looks interesting, see:

https://www.dccconcepts.com/wp-content/ ... se-2-1.pdf

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Barry Davis

Re: Working point rodding from DCC Concepts

Postby Barry Davis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 pm

What a great idea Martin.

I have have been using wire-in-tube and angle cranks to operate turnouts on my layout for years.

Even though I worked in the electrical industry for many years, I prefer the simplicity of a wire-tube operating system. To date I have 34 working turnouts and not one is electrically operated.

Don't know if available over there, for my wire-tube turnout operating system I use the .6 mm K & S piano-wire running in K & S 2.38 mm brass tube (which are both available in 36 inch (USA) lengths and operated by a DPDT miniature side switch. 23 of my turnouts are operating by wire-in-tube at an estimated cost of £5.70, and the other 11 trailing turnouts are just sprung loaded at an estimated cost of only 21p each. Cheap to build and 100% reliable.

Thanks to you Martin I will look at DCC Concepts for working semaphore shunt signals !

Barry

Barry Davis

Postby Barry Davis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:05 am

Hi Monty,
I can relate to that. My advancing age and family storage under my layout are the main reasons for my decision to now install turnout operations and TOU above (base)board on my layout.

I do have one or two turnouts that are quite unacceptable at the moment, but using the DCC Concepts point rodding as advertised and/or wire-in-tube with a small (not Peco) surface mounted electric motor should overcome this problem, as my new improved (to me that is) surface mounted TOU is small enough to be hidden beneath a Peco SL-47 Dummy Point Motor cover.

Barry

mikeknowles

Postby mikeknowles » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:59 am

Apologies if I've missed it but the data sheet doesn't seem to mention what scale these parts are being produced in.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm

mikeknowles wrote:Apologies if I've missed it but the data sheet doesn't seem to mention what scale these parts are being produced in.

Agreed, it does not seem to say explicitly what scale. Cranks are described as a tiny bit overscale, A-frames as being almost to scale. :)
I think that 00 is probably a reasonable assumption.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:58 am

Under Rodding it states "It is the correct size to accurately represent 4mm scale point rodding."
Under Rodding cranks it states "We have made the cranks as small as possible but please note that they
are slightly over-scale - this was necessary as most users of this point
rodding will be OO gauge modellers using Peco pointwork and the larger
gaps of ready-to-run pointwork need a larger crank throw."

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Under Rodding it states "It is the correct size to accurately represent 4mm scale point rodding."

Ah, so it does, don't know how I missed that when reading through it. :)
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Track and Turnouts”