"Wye" Turnout templates

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
David Knight

"Wye" Turnout templates

Postby David Knight » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Are there any templates for "Wye" turnouts? I'm thinking about either a number 5 or 6 for a layout currently in the planning stages.

Cheers,

David

petermeyer

Re: "Wye" Turnout templates

Postby petermeyer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:40 pm

David Knight wrote:Are there any templates for "Wye" turnouts? I'm thinking about either a number 5 or 6 for a layout currently in the planning stages.

Cheers,

David

Not sure this is what you mean or if it's of use. PM me for high res version scan. I have larger angles too.

Peter

Scan_angles-5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:50 pm

PM sent

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:38 am

Back in the days of printed templates we used to slit and bend the templates as described here:
https://www.scalefour.org/history/protofoursociety/manual/4.1.3-construction-templates
(Unfortunately much of the value of these archived docs is lost as the illustrations have been removed).

Nowadays I would use 'Templot' which will produce any required template in minutes.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks Keith. The thought of using Templot had occurred to me but I run a Mac which gets indigestion with Templot. Your other idea is a good one, I shall keep it in mind.

Cheers,

David

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:39 pm

David Knight wrote:but I run a Mac which gets indigestion with Templot

Hi David,

Here's a 1:4.5 symmetrical Y-turnout from Templot (radius 1595mm, 63"):

Here's the PDF file to print it:
y_turnout_p4_4p5.pdf

Any other size easily created. Just ask. But are you really sure you want it? Symmetrical turnouts are really quite rare on the prototype. Ordinary handed turnouts with contraflexure (negative curving) are far more common (and look like Y-turnouts).

Are you using CrossOver/Winebottler to run Templot on the Mac? What is the problem?

Here's a nice picture of the River Wye. Not a turnout in sight: Image

cheers,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks Martin. To be honest I’ve not had the time to try anything lately as I’m just at the end of a house move. But that said the recent articles on Arun Quay have prodded my imagination and it was mentioned by Gordon Gravett that he had used “wye” turnouts as a space saver. My aim is to build a Cameo style layout to replace my old portable which is starting to show it’s limitations and shortcomings. It’s early days and I have a target of spring 2020 for the finished product so I’m very much in the information gathering stage. The PDF will be very handy, thanks, and I may get back to you about other sizes if I can’t move forward with what I have so far. I’ll also try the software suggestions you recommend. I’m also thinking of a Barry Slip to be incorporated somewhere in the layout but as I say, early days... ;)

Cheers,

David

Return to “Track and Turnouts”