Securing supplies of track components

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Crepello

Re: Securing supplies of track components

Postby Crepello » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 pm

I suspect the Exactoscale working screw couplings relied on Malcolm Cross's contacts in Switzerland. But I share your disquiet about the future of the range above railhead height. Some outlook statement would be appreciated.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 am

The Exactoscale products formerly supplied by C&L were, I believe, designed by Len Newman but commissioned and "owned" by Andrew Jukes, a former Chairman of the S4 Society and still a member. I understand that C&L were able to produce/buy in the Exactoscale items, but I presume that agreement ceased when the business changed hands last year.

Perhaps Mr Jukes may be able to provide an indication as to the future prospects for these products through the Committee, although that may be a commercially sensitive issue at present and it may be inappropriate to divulge any information.

Of course, it is possible that supply will recommence through C&L, when the present owner has had time to sort out the other parts of the business.

David B

Postby David B » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Of course, it is possible that supply will recommence through C&L, when the present owner has had time to sort out the other parts of the business.

It would be preferable to talk with the current owner of C&L and be properly informed rather than speculate here on the Forum which is open to the public gaze. Having spoken to C&L at Scaleforum, I am aware that there are other (commercial) issues involved which I feel would not be helpful to be made public.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Having spoken to C&L at Scaleforum, I am aware that there are other (commercial) issues involved which I feel would not be helpful to be made public.

So talking to him does not help unless everyone of us talks to him individually, not really good use of his time when he is trying to get his new business fully functional.
regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:33 pm

When I enquired (of the old owners prior to transfer) about exactoscale three links I was told that a supplier who would make the links in sufficiently small numbers could not be found
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:37 pm

David B wrote:
Jol Wilkinson wrote:Of course, it is possible that supply will recommence through C&L, when the present owner has had time to sort out the other parts of the business.

It would be preferable to talk with the current owner of C&L and be properly informed rather than speculate here on the Forum which is open to the public gaze. Having spoken to C&L at Scaleforum, I am aware that there are other (commercial) issues involved which I feel would not be helpful to be made public.

grovenor-2685 wrote:
Having spoken to C&L at Scaleforum, I am aware that there are other (commercial) issues involved which I feel would not be helpful to be made public.

So talking to him does not help unless everyone of us talks to him individually, not really good use of his time when he is trying to get his new business fully functional.
regards

David, why not share what you know in the Member's Lounge which is members only.
Rob

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:09 pm

RobM wrote:
David B wrote:

grovenor-2685 wrote:

regards

David, why not share what you know in the Member's Lounge which is members only.
Rob

I'd like to just put a word in here for our voluntary, and thankfully under-used Moderators...

Whilst the Members Lounge probably *is* a better place for discussions such as this, please ensure that our normal standards of respect and discussion continue apply. Even involving third parties who may not be able to see what is being written.

To emphasise:

- this is a live commercial situation, and some matters should (indeed, must) remain commercially confidential

- the Committee speaks periodically with the owners of C&L and the developer of the range to ensure that there is no misunderstanding of any situation, and that we as a management body with the *long term* interests of the Society and the hobby are aware of what we need to be aware of

- the Committee has done, and continues to, discuss all aspects of track construction and supply (a non-related observation is we recently discussed rail profiles, and whether this was a critically significant issue for us to have concerns about supply at the current time). If action was swiftly needed, we have both the constitutional ability and the shared understanding to act appropriately.

So whilst there is no intention to stop or constrain any type of discussion, on behalf of *your* moderators, please keep any discussion focused and relevant. Let's not degenerate into a froth of "what happens if the moulds are struck by a meteorite which also wipes out all the legal contracts?" type of postings. The sky has not fallen in yet! And indeed it may never do so.

Thanks in anticipation
Paul Willis
Deputy Chairman and (thankfully occasionally) Moderator
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Track and Turnouts”