Lewes Station Trackwork

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
goatdriver

Lewes Station Trackwork

Postby goatdriver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Does anyone out there know what type of rails and sleepers are used on the lines through and in the immediate vicinity of Lewes Station? I'm in the US, so it's a bit difficult to gather the information first hand. Thanks in advance.

Robert

garethashenden

Re: Lewes Station Trackwork

Postby garethashenden » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 pm

When? Right now? 1990? 1930? 1890?

From Google street view I think it's flatbottom with concrete sleepers. Those pictures were taken in June 2016.

I found a few pictures on Wikipedia as well.
From November 2008 showing only two lines, one is flatbottom and concrete sleepers, the other is bullhead and wooden sleepers.
From September 2013, the three lines through the platforms are flatbottom with concrete sleepers while the line up against the retaining wall is bullhead with wooden sleepers.

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:21 pm

For anyone confused by the photos, the first one is the London line platforms, the second the Brighton line platforms. The curving line of gravel with flower planters on it is common to both photographs; it was once another running line, with platform faces on both sides. It lasted as such into the 1970s, I seem to remember, but am not totally sure now.
Regards
Noel

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi goatdriver,

Without an idea of the era which you are interested in, it is hard to give definitive answers, but if you need information on the station from the 1850s to present-day, there are plenty of pictures of the station environs here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lewes ... 17&bih=708

Further to what Noel has said, I can remember that the line with two platform faces was there in the early 70s. However, I do not remember trains using it at that time. I have a feeling that the line served Platform Four on one side and platform Five on the other (though my memory might be playing tricks on me).

Colin

goatdriver

Postby goatdriver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I'm planning to do sometime between 1990 - current. I appreciate the help.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:30 pm

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Lucky you are intending to model the 1990s and not the 1890s goatdriver!

Look at the point formation in this picture to the bottom right, a sort of tandem with a diamond crossing running through it - or is that an outside slip?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lewes ... L5mcT9BAHM:

An earlier picture on the Google the Lewes Station search shows a tandem point with a single slip within it. The LB&SCR must have considered four-way points (cf. Kemp Town) as not much of a challenge...

Return to “Track and Turnouts”