Greyboard for trackbase?

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
jon price

Greyboard for trackbase?

Postby jon price » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm considering using grayboard for trackbase. Underneath is a flat birch ply surface. The prototype track is set in a level field with ash ballast so no requirement for modelling any ballast structures or cess etc. Anyone tried this, or has good reasons why I shouldn't?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

RobM

Re: Greyboard for trackbase?

Postby RobM » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:41 pm

Jon,
I have used 2mm grey board in the past, built track onto it but it was used mainly to provide a recess for buildings to sit in. I only used it as I had a load of stock (A1) which was used as a backing board for my watercolour paintings. It gave a smooth surface to work on but no noise reduction. It is a toss up between cork and board, I currently use cork........
Rob

jon price

Postby jon price » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Thanks Rob, this is what I needed to know. I'm also "nesting buildings, and building up flat ground surface, and using up existing stock, so I think I will go ahead with this. I'm not that concerned with sound issues.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Jon,

You might consider a sealing coat of shellac or similar, greyboard can de-laminate and swell if it gets wet. Otherwise its a great material for structural work.

Steve

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:21 pm

If you do shellac (and I can't see a great need for it), do it on both sides, otherwise the card will bend like crazy,

Return to “Track and Turnouts”