Trailing turnouts

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Barry Davis

Trailing turnouts

Postby Barry Davis » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:51 am

Has anyone any advice or experience with the spring tension required for trailing turnout blades on non-operating trailing turnouts. i.e the blades move as rolling stock vehicle wheels force the blades over.

I would think that locomotives and coaching stock would have the necessary weight to force turnout blades over, but I am not sure if 4 wheel wagons would work.

Regards

Barry

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Trailing turnouts

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:08 am

I have one such on the trailing end of a double junction, works fine with all my stock, I try to weight 4 wheelers up to 50g but some are a bit less.
The turnout is not fitted with stretchers and each blade is tweaked to just sit in the normal position so I can run through facing if needed.
I have not measured the spring force but just its as little as I could manage with the switch blade self closing. The open switch is a bit easier as its rest position is less critical.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Barry Davis

Postby Barry Davis » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:31 am

Thank you for your suggestion Keith,

On the B6 turnouts that I have used on my hidden/stagings sidings, there are 6 sleepers with P slide chairs from the toe of the switch rail to the first sleeper with a B chair where the switch rail is fixed/soldered to this sleeper. So I would think that the B6 turnouts that I have used in my sidings would have similar dimensions to the trailing turnout on your double junction.

Also, thank you for the idea of using a non-operating trailing turnout on a double junction. Barnham Junction, the station that I am modelling, has two double junctions and I can see that at least one could operate successfully with a non-operating trailing turnout.

Thank you for your help. I am now intend to put your suggestion into practice and hopefully save time by not now requiring 7 working turnout operating units and instead just wire electrical switches to change the polarity of the crossing vee on each turnout.

Regards

Barry

Barry Davis

Postby Barry Davis » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:49 am

Hi Keith,

It works! I now have 7 fully operational trailing turnouts from my hidden/staging sidings on to my main line.

And thanks to your advice, all it took was tweeking the turnout switch blades of the 7 turnouts, 7 lengths of blue coloured cable and seven switches to change the polarity of each turnout. I am now going to look around my layout to see if any other trailing turnouts need not to be operated by a TOU.

Once again, thanks

Regards

Barry

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 pm

You are welcome Barry, glad you have it working.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Track and Turnouts”