Traintronics turntable

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Philip Hall

Traintronics turntable

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm not sure whether a turntable comes under track or a structure, but anyway, I have the chance to acquire a Traintronics 70ft turntable. It was shown in an early MRJ, No 4, having been seen at Scaleforum in September 1985 where it was photographed by Ray Plassard. It looks quite a respectable model, having a spun steel well, a big 12v motor and gearbox and a nicely detailed bridge. It apparently works very well, although having been in its box for thirty years it might need a bit of TLC.

Problem is, the instructions have been lost and there are a few loose wires there. I haven't actually seen it yet, but am just wondering if by some remote chance anyone has a set of instructions they could copy for me please? I think it unlikely because it's current owner has had an extensive trawl around the Internet and the various forums, where others seem to have similar problems, and Traintronics themselves have no information from that long ago, but it's worth a try!

Philip

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Traintronics turntable

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:29 pm

If the mechanics are good then the electronic bit should be fairly easy to replace if it can't be reverse engineered enough to work out where the loose wires should be. Its the mechanics that make or break a turntable.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Thanks Keith,

I haven't looked at the thing yet but I think it's a pretty substantial piece of kit, quite possibly based on a Southern prototype. The review at the time indicated it was quite silent as it went round slowly. So I think I might go for it when the owner and I next meet. Maybe I will post a photo when it arrives.

Philip

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Philip,

I had a friend who bought one for his OO layout back when it came out, and indeed its operation was almost silent. IIRC it used infrared sensors to line up the tracks. It would certainly be worth acquiring, and as Keith says the electronics should be straightforward to figure out.
Unfortunately, the instructions (and the friend for that matter...) are long gone.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Mark,

I think you and Keith are both right, it would be a good buy, particularly since it looks Southern. The MRJ note commented on the silence of the one that was seen at Scaleforum, and that there were infrared sensors. I was hoping to have something a little smaller, probably based on a small well my father had beaten out of a sheet of aluminium when I was about 15, but I will have to use that for something else. That well was actually perfectly concentric, with a sloping floor and dead vertical sides. All from a single sheet, but he was a coachbuilder by trade!

This new one is 70ft, actually just right for Mellstock (read Okehampton) so I will not need overriders now to turn a Bulleid Pacific!

Philip

Return to “Track and Turnouts”