alan austin PALM device

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
philpill

alan austin PALM device

Postby philpill » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:31 am

Have any members built the ambis PALM point device if so there are 2 lengths of cranks which is best? and how was the slide on the device moved was a point motor or servo used or a manual system as wire in tube or r/c "snakes" i think the main important issue is there a need to lock the movement to ensure blade remains in contact with the main rail or does the ambis unit stay in one position until reversed ?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: alan austin PALM device

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Had you been at 101 not out you could have scrutinised mine! I built it for a demo board some years ago, driven by a Servo.
I don't remember the crank option so I'll have a look at the unbuilt one I have to see what you mean.
Mine could do with a tad more throw, I have the adjusting crank right on its limits so maybe I chose the wrong option ;)
I did put a video on line:
http://youtu.be/_DN5YFyhzv4 and http://youtu.be/tUORPuJffBU
The throw was not then correctlty adjusted and has since been fixed. Also the Servo was missing and my fingers were substituting for it.
The stretchers are also Ambis.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

philpill

Postby philpill » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:18 am

Thanks Keith for the clips I would prefer to have a manual control do you think the "s" shape of travel would be enough to hold the blades in position i would have loved to have visited 101 but although living overlooking the Tamar and Brunel's rail bridge is very desirable travel to the home counties either by rail or road takes ages even Scalforum at Aylesbury is a pain to get to regards phil

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:18 am

do you think the "s" shape of travel would be enough to hold the blades in position

Yes, that is one of its main advantages, it effectively throws the points and locks them, similar in concept to an economical facing point lock.
Whether the drive to the slide plate is manual, Servo or whatever makes no difference.
The downside is that all the adjustment is made with the scale size cranks on the surface so you need to be prepared for that.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Track and Turnouts”