Preparation of Templot templates

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Sapper

Preparation of Templot templates

Postby Sapper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:39 pm

I have a sketch plan for a small layout based on one of Iain Rice's plans (the baseboard area is slightly longer and wider and I have incorporated a short traverser instead of a sector plate) and wish to transpose this into Templot to see that it will fit in. If so, the templates can be printed off and some track laying commenced. Despite Martyn's best efforts I have only been able to produce some basic single track templates to date, and I am wondering if there is anyone out there who would be able to produce the templates for me to print out.

Attached is a sketch of the amended layout for information, the Iain Rice plan I wish to base it on is 'Llanastr Mawr' in his book on minimum space layouts (unfortunately I do not seem to be able to post it). The baseboard size is 98" long x 23" wide, the traverser is 13" wide, the left hand board is 41" long and the right hand board is 44.5" long. I would prefer the point serving the bay, platform and run run roads to be a tandem to save space and on a slight curve.

I would of course be more than happy to reimburse anyone for their time spent if they would be happy to help out.

Many thanks

Sapper
Sketch of new layout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steamraiser

Re: Preparation of Templot templates

Postby steamraiser » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:24 pm

If the plan is drawn to scale then it can be scanned and converted into a digital picture.
Providing the scale of the drawing is known, and what the dots per inch setting was when scanned, it would be possible to import said picture as a background then compile the Templot templates suitable adjusted on top.

Gordon

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:45 pm

steamraiser wrote:If the plan is drawn to scale then it can be scanned and converted into a digital picture.
Providing the scale of the drawing is known, and what the dots per inch setting was when scanned, it would be possible to import said picture as a background then compile the Templot templates suitable adjusted on top.

Gordon

But, as Martyn frequently warns, this is not the way to start learning Templot, as it involves numerous 'advanced' techniques. The trouble is - and I've been lured by this myself - Martyn's videos on the subject make it look deceptively easy. The drawing would certainly help an experienced user to arrive at the best sizes for the turnouts and slip, but personally I'd be tempted to just bash on, get the basic track structure in place, then 'fiddle' the key items to get the dimensions (about) right. At first glance there seems enough length to do it - although the proportions of the roads need some consideration - but getting that lh turnout to bring the siding round the front of the goods shed without being impossibly sharp might be a sticking point. Of course, the best bet might be to post the request on the Templot Club site, there are some awfully helpful chaps around over there (particularly one called Wynne ...).
David L-T

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Whatever tool you use to provide the track geometry, it won't change the lack of prototypicality of this layout. In reality, a goods yard in the position shown would normally have been accessed from the fiddle yard end. I don't know Iain Rice's views on the prototype when he designed Elan/Llanastr Mawr, but clearly the goods yard was where it was in that design in order to mask the fiddle yard, and also to provide the maximum interest in the space available. Without the need to hide the fiddle yard I would suggest that the goods yard would be better turned round so that it is accessed from the other end of the loop, or even the main line. Not only is it more prototypical, in my view, but it will be a lot easier to operate.
Regards
Noel

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:09 pm

I don't disagree with Noel, but if you want to press on with the plan as sketched, I've drawn it up very roughly in Templot and it seems to fit the quoted dimensions comfortably with B6 turnouts, so some or all could be 'eased' a bit if wished. I didn't include the 'possible headshunt', but there is room for it if wanted - personally, I'd make the single slip a double and use that (but then I like double slips!). Nor did I make the initial two turnouts a tandem, in the interests of time, but since it works with two consecutive B6s it would obviously work with a tandem.
David L-T

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:16 pm

As shown your single slip wont work.

Below is the original Elan in Templot:

Elan.png

regards

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:42 am

Oh, is that a 4-way at the throat? :o I want one (just in case I change company allegiance and decide to model Kemp Town); but even if I had the Templot drawing, I'm not sure I'd be up to building it. :cry: Was that really Monsieur Rice's original plan :?:
David L-T

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:46 am

No that's an off scene sector plate.

dal-t

Postby dal-t » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks Will, got it now - that does explain Noel's comment about why the goods yard was placed where it was. That's actually my 'cheat' way of creating Kemp Town (aided by the fact that there really was a tunnel mouth from which the tracks emerged) but the lure of a four-way keeps haunting me. I wonder if Alan could explain why the single slip won't work - I didn't create one when I played around in Templot last night, but simply made a diamond crossing at that spot, which seemed to have an angle that could take a slip.
David L-T

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Gentlemen
Thank you for your comments and especially Alan for providing the Templot plan. I think having absorbed your comments there will almost certainly be a redesign required, especially for the goods sidings which I will have a look at in the next few days.

Alan, is it possible to download your sketch so I can use this as a possible basis for amending the plan/

Regards

Sapper

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Just for clarity for those who are not familiar with the design, the straight back road in Alan's Templot design is behind the backscene, and is there to provide access to a cassette at the right hand end.
Regards
Noel

Return to “Track and Turnouts”