Turntable indexing

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Alan Gee

Turntable indexing

Postby Alan Gee » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:54 pm

I model 3ft Irish narrow gauge. I am currently making a model of Schull station on the Schull and Skibbereen Railway. Schull had a small 23ft turntable with 3 roads of it.

Can anybody suggest a good way of indexing trhis tirntable. I would prefer to use a mechanical method rather than electrical as if at a exhibition the electric's failed I could not operate the railway.

Kind regards
Alan Gee

Tim V

Re: Turntable indexing

Postby Tim V » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 pm

There was a picture of that turntable in an old MRN, circa '69 I remember.

You don't say what scale it's in, but assuming 4mm, I would possibly put a large disc underneath with something like door bolts. Then just release the bolt, and turn the table. Heath Robinish, but make it as big as you can, that way any losses are reduced.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Mark Tatlow

Re: Turntable indexing

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 pm

A long time ago, I recall visiting a private layout where they had used a plunger for indexing.

The plunger they used was a vertical chisel shape and it engaged in a V, where the angle of the V was a bigger than the chisel. Therefore, when the chisel engaged, it dragged the turntable deck into line for perfect alignment.

The chisel was sprung loaded so that it was out except when a solenoid was activated to release it. Therefore, the action for moving the turning the table was engage solenoid release plunger, rotate turntable, disengage solenoid to release plunger and index the deck to its road.

Not done one myself mind......................
Mark Tatlow

Return to “Track and Turnouts”