NER sleeper and timber spacing

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Derek

NER sleeper and timber spacing

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi. I wonder if anyone can shed light on this, please?

After picking up a NER standards book from NERA at Expo Nth, I found a 45ft track panel diagram with 17 sleepers and all but the outer 2 (each end) having a 2'9" gap.

However, having looked at photographs of this secondary branch (Whitby) suggests that sleeper spacing was smaller than that (similar CL to CL as turnouts). The earliest photo that I have is 1940 but the camera angle makes it hard to be sure.

So would I be right in saying that upon grouping, the LNER had different sleeper/ timber spacing for its track panels? I am sure they stuck with 45ft max. panels. I am told that running line would be replaced on average every 20 years, so in 1940 it would have been laid around the grouping time- though I think some photos might well show larger spacing in sidings, which would support this idea.

If the above is correct, then did the NER have 'standard' timber spacing for turnouts before grouping? I did read a few comments on Templot forum that NER turnouts had a few unusual parts to their design, but I cannot see them in photos, hence thinking they were replaced some time after grouping.

Any suggestions appreciated. (I have sent off payment for the NER P WAY booklet, but I am told it might well be temporarily unavailable for the moment).

Thanks
Derek

Return to “Track and Turnouts”