A7 switch

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
chris58

A7 switch

Postby chris58 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:02 am

Morning all
I am planing a new layout and it would be advantages for me to a7 turnouts for the run round crossover. Main motive power will be a class 31 and rolling stock consisting of tta tanks and standard short wheel base vans . I wondered if I am likely to have buffer locking problems.
Regards
Chris

jim s-w

Re: A7 switch

Postby jim s-w » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:13 am

Hi Chris

Wouldn't it just be a light loco using the run round?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

chris58

Postby chris58 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 am

Hi. Jim
Of course only the 31 will be using the run round, I should have made that clear. Thanks for pointing that out.
Regards
Chris

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:28 pm

It's not, of course, the sharpness of the turnout that causes the problem so much as the reverse curves; thus a crossover consisting of two A7s would be likely to give problems; but a short length of straight track between them would ease the problems. But, as said above, if its going to be used for locos alone, then the issue of buffer locking obviously won't arise.

Allan F

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:46 pm

I thought I had replied to this, must have missed ac click or something, now Allan has covered most of what I had said. On St Merryn, IIRC, we used an A7 crossover for the loco release in preference to a B6, the tracks there are at a normal 6ft so there is a small straight through the two crossings. I don't recollect it giving any trouble.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

chris58

Postby chris58 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:17 am

Hi all
Thanks for advice. A mate has got an A7 built so I will try it first.
Regards
Chris

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:21 am

Thing to remember is that RTR diesels are designed to hurtle through pointwork and curves much much tighter than an A7. Swapping the wheels won't change that

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:31 am

My experience does not involve a crossover or a class 31 model but on Elcot Road the turnout from the coal siding to the loco shelter is an A7 and the Bachmann class 37 that runs over it has no problems. The turnout was built from an Exactoscale kit and was used because the space was limited - a bit like the real thing. We do have a class 31 that runs on Ravenscroft Sidings which is the Hornby model running on Gibson direct replacement wheels and that is very reliable in running.

Terry Bendall

chris58

Postby chris58 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Afternoon Terry
Just what I want to hear. I have my shopping list ready for next weekend. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
Regards.
Chris

Return to “Track and Turnouts”