Ambis Tiebar components

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
steve howe

Ambis Tiebar components

Postby steve howe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:42 pm

Can anyone shed any light on the Ambis tie rod components described on their website? A Club colleague and I are looking at various tiebar methods, and I have been using the Masokits version for a while and generally found them quite robust once properly assembled (an early attempt failed through lack of adequate soldering) but we have also been looking at the Exactoscale/C&L 'bent wire in a tube' which looks identical to the ones the Stores used to stock some years ago at vastly less price! The Ambis versions seem to be for the flat bar type tiebar, with components to make the round bar version common on pre-Group railways. We prefer to use the round bar type as it is more correct for the period, but the Ambis website does not give away much constructional information on this point:

"The earlier prototype stretcher designs used what appears to be gas pipe - a rod just over one inch in diameter and was still quite common in sidings in the 1960's. A version of the stretcher bar component was introduced in 2009 to allow the rod version to be made."

Has anyone made units from these components and if so what other materials are needed? I assumed the etched end pieces were soldered to brass wire, but then how is the insulation achieved? We propose to obtain a set and have a go, but any forward information would be most welcome.

Steve

Ian@Exton

Re: Ambis Tiebar components

Postby Ian@Exton » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Steve,
I have been using the Ambis components for the turnouts I am building for my circa 1930 model of Dulverton. The etched stretcher brackets fit over a stretcher of thin double sided copper clad about 1.5mm deep.

The Ambis stretcher brackets are soldered the the switch blades, located by a 0.45mm wires which pass through holes in the web of the stock rail which stop the switches from moving in the vertical plane. (These are loose heel switches.)

Although the stretcher bars are not round, as they should be, they are fairly inconspicuous - to my eye at least.

I agree that it would be better if we had insulating round stretcher bars, but I am not aware of anything suitable.

Ian

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:14 am

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:07 pm

That's a fine solution and thanks for pointing it out Keith. I'll follow that thread a bit more closely from now on!

Steve

Return to “Track and Turnouts”