How to wire this unusual point configuration

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Simon Glidewell

How to wire this unusual point configuration

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I came across this unusual combined diamond crossing and right hand point (Tonbridge) on this forum. This would fit my plans for the first extension on St. Mary Hoo perfectly and would obviate the need to build two diamond crossings for the industrial railway to cross the main line. Would anyone know how to wire this and where the polarity switches would go, plus where would the electrical breaks be?

http://www.scalefour.org/history/images/mrc09-01.html

Many thanks
Simon

nigelcliffe

Re: How to wire this unusual point configuration

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:34 pm

This is how I'd approach the electrics.

Red and Blue lines are the main track feeds for running. The other colours; yellow, green and magenta are switched areas.

crossing-turnout.jpg

For routes through the turnout (to A or B), then the turnout crossing (1, green) has to be switched with the blade movement. Just like a normal turnout.

In addition, routes through the diamond have to be defined and switched. Crossing via the turnout (to either A or B) will switch the diamond crossings (2 yellow connect to red, 3 magenta connect to blue). Crossing the other route (to C) will switch the diamond crossings to the opposite polarity (2 yellow connect to blue, 3 magenta connect to red). With luck, some other turnouts, or signals, away from the diamond can indicate which route over the diamond is currently active, so those turnouts (two contacts required) will change the diamond and a separate switch for users to remember to change can be avoided.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:50 pm

That's very kind of you Nigel; the diagram is much appreciated. The electrical aspect of it sounds quite complex for an idiot like me! Am I right in believing that there would be three polarity switches required?

All the best
Simon

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Yes, 3 polarity switches, just one minor quibble, the 3 insulated joints in the small triangle where green buts onto the red and magenta sections could make the track build difficult, I would extend the green onto the crossing track by including a bit of the red and magenta, so the insulated joints can be in the longer red and magenta rails.
Regards
Keith
PS This wouldn't bother Nigel as he is used to doing it in 2mm.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:14 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Yes, 3 polarity switches, just one minor quibble, the 3 insulated joints in the small triangle where green buts onto the red and magenta sections could make the track build difficult, I would extend the green onto the crossing track by including a bit of the red and magenta, so the insulated joints can be in the longer red and magenta rails.
Regards
Keith
PS This wouldn't bother Nigel as he is used to doing it in 2mm.

Many thanks Keith for the advice. I now just have to price it all up from the C & L website using Exactoscale chairs. One of the hardest bits is going to be working out the lie of the timbers around the diamond crossing area as it's not very clear from the photo; most of the timbers throughout the point appear to be the normal horizontal to the flow of the track, but the ones on the right hand side of the diamond (the right exit) seem to be at a slight angle.

All the best
Simon

Phil O

Postby Phil O » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Simon

Diamond timbering is usually square to the centre line through the common crossings.

Phil.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Phil O wrote:Hi Simon

Diamond timbering is usually square to the centre line through the common crossings.

Phil.

In this case there are two superimposed diamonds with 4 common crossings so that idea doesn't work. In the example in the photo the timbers look to be aligned at 90 degrees to the centreline of crossing one, ie the turnout crossing. i would go with that, start by putting a timber under each crossing nose and try to space the rest out to suit the special chairs as much as possible. There is no right answer, just a best fit.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks Phil and Keith. I will just have to play around with my ply sleepers and see if I can replicate the arrangement in the photo... somehow!

Return to “Track and Turnouts”