Rationalised double slip

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
jim s-w

Rationalised double slip

Postby jim s-w » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi all

Part of my plan for my little side project is to model a rationalised double slip, where the straight on route from one direction is fixed. It's effectively a double slip converted back into a normal point.

Would something like this just have the switch at one end locked down or would some rails be removed. I've a vague memory of seeing a double slip with parts removed but can't remember where.

Also when where switched diamonds introduced?

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: Rationalised double slip

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Would something like this just have the switch at one end locked down or would some rails be removed.

Could be either depending on circumstances and how long it is expected to stay like that. The unused end could be clipped and scotched, an old fishplate bolted down to secure it, or the blades could be replaced with plain rail. At the other end only two of the 4 blades would be in use , they could be left as is till work needed doing or the redundant blades taken out and the drive rods suitably modified. your choice really.

Sometime in the 19th century, nothing particularly new about them. Always required for diamonds flatter than 1:8, seems unlikely to be a need for that on your little project.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks Keith

Some things to think about

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:34 am

grovenor-2685 wrote:

Sometime in the 19th century, nothing particularly new about them. Always required for diamonds flatter than 1:8, seems unlikely to be a need for that on your little project.
Keith

Keith, my understanding is that the normal use of switch diamonds was in double junctions on high speed main lines, where the goemetry of the junction was set out to minimise the reduction in speed required when taking the diverging route. Presumably they would have required significantly more maintenance than an unswitched diamond and would therefore not have been used elsewhere except in very unusual circumstances?

Noel
Regards
Noel

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 am

Double junctions was one use of course but anywhere you needed a diamond flatter than 1:8, more recently flatter than 1:7.5, ie including 1:8. Quite common to have slips with switch diamonds in station areas. See http://www.norgrove.me.uk/signalling/plans/Euston-a.gif for quite a lot of examples.
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Brian Harrap

Postby Brian Harrap » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:41 pm

jim s-w wrote:Hi all

Part of my plan for my little side project is to model a rationalised double slip, where the straight on route from one direction is fixed. It's effectively a double slip converted back into a normal point.

Would something like this just have the switch at one end locked down or would some rails be removed. I've a vague memory of seeing a double slip with parts removed but can't remember where.

Cheers

Jim

Bit late I know Jim, but is this what you had in mind.
Regards, Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon Glidewell

Postby Simon Glidewell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:54 pm

A very nice example of French track work there Brian, and an interesting modification. I really like the look of old SNCF points and I have been tempted to scratch build some for a diorama. On some French routes, especially around the Lozère in SW France there is much use of chaired track with bullhead rail which always looks rather odd without British stock on it! The chairs are very similar to British ones with a few differences.

Cheers
Simon

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks Brian

This is what I ended up with

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Brian Harrap

Postby Brian Harrap » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Excellent trackwork as ever, Jim.
Regarding French chaired track, Simon, I've come across quite a bit of that, almost got used to it.
For my own (model) track I've taken to burying it under cobbles.
Brian

Return to “Track and Turnouts”