Society Track Gauge

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
John Duffy

Society Track Gauge

Postby John Duffy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:25 pm

This is most likely me being a bit dim, but I have just received a Society track gauge through the post (thanks for the prompt delivery) but the clamp does not seem to move far enough to allow the rail to slip between the gauge and the clamp face. Am I doing something really stupid, or not seeing the blindingly obvious?

John

Tim V

Re: Society Track Gauge

Postby Tim V » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:06 pm

I took the clamp off mine!

However, you could file it out to fit, if you wanted to continue using it.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:19 am

John brought his gauge along to our latest workshop on Saturday. It was clearly faulty - not only was it impossible to get the rail between the gauge and the clamp face, but one end of the gauge was slightly wider than the other. Perhaps this item should be withdrawn until these faults are sorted out?

DT

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:45 pm

The best thing to do would be to contact Jeremy directly, he is a member of the forum, but doesn't visit very often and is unlikely to see this thread.

stores@scalefour.org

All the Best
Danny

jimphillips

Postby jimphillips » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:33 pm

I have a society track gauge which also has these symptons. Although I could file out the hole in the clamp to allow the rail to fit in I don't really fancy trying to adjust the width inaccuracy at one end, I'll contact Jeremy

regards
Jim P

John Duffy

Postby John Duffy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Perhaps we should start a thread to help people convert the Society gauge to P4.

jimphillips

Postby jimphillips » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:22 pm

That sounds fine but it would mean removing a thin wedge tapering from say 0.03mm at the over size end to zero at the correct end,
regards
Jim P

jimphillips

Postby jimphillips » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:05 pm

I have returned my track gauge to Jeremy, he will send me another after checking for accuracy,

Jim P

jimphillips

Postby jimphillips » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:03 am

Have my new society track gauge which is accurate, thanks for the prompt service Jeremy, posted it back last Tuesday and the new one arrived Friday morning!

Return to “Track and Turnouts”