switch and crossing angles

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
johnp

switch and crossing angles

Postby johnp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 pm

I have been trying to work out what the equivalent ratio is for a 12 degree crossing. I presume there is a simple formula somewhere but my naive searches have not so far turned up anything. Would you experts out there kindly help a novice track maker and layer.

Thank you.

Regards,

John

Russ Elliott

Re: switch and crossing angles

Postby Russ Elliott » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 pm

tan.png

If theta is 12 degrees, tan theta is 0.212

X is therefore 4.7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris Mitton

Postby Chris Mitton » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 pm

According to Martin Wynne on the Templot forum, it depends on how you measure the angle. Most modellers, and apparently European railways, use Right Angle Measurement, as set out in Russ's diagram. UK and US railways (and seriously masochistic modellers) use Centre Line Measurement, whereby you describe the angle by offsets from an imaginary line bisecting the angle. Two minutes with a spreadsheet (preceded by some de-rusting of the brain, as it's thirty years since I last taught A level Hard Sums!) comes up with these numbers:
AngleCalculator.pdf

As you can see, for most sensible common crossings (up to about 1 in 6), they are pretty well the same up to the first decimal place, but for sharper crossings the way you set them out will make a difference.

Hope this helps,
Regards
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Most modellers, and apparently European railways
Which means that Martin chose to make the default on Templot Right Angle Measure when most users model railways that use Centre Line Measure, and therefore need to remember to change the default every time.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

johnp

Postby johnp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Thank you all for your lucid replies.

Regards,

John

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:33 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Which means that Martin chose to make the default on Templot Right Angle Measure when most users model railways that use Centre Line Measure, and therefore need to remember to change the default every time.

At the time when I made this decision, 30 years ago in the early 80s, Templot was in its infancy and used only by me, for EM gauge. The template discrepancy introduced by the reduced EM track gauge far exceeds that from the difference between RAM and CLM angles, so I chose the most convenient angle method. At that time I was using Templot as an adjunct to track layouts marked out by hand on the baseboard, for which the engineer's method of setting out angles (RAM) is about 100 times easier. The RAM method makes all measurements along the rail or at right-angles to it, and can be easily set out with dividers. The CLM method doesn't and can't.

But it is only one click to convert a template from RAM to CLM, or if you prefer to enter an angle in degrees, prefix it with a letter k. i.e. to create a 12 degree crossing, set the crossing angle to k12. real > V-crossing options > V-crossing angle... menu item.

The majority of Templot users are not modelling in P4/S7, etc., so I still think it was the right decision to use the more intuitive RAM method. Those in P4 etc. for whom exact prototype equivalence is important can easily convert to CLM if they wish. Remember also in most cases to change to the non-default generic-type V-crossing.

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

kipford

Postby kipford » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:20 am

I always use RAM, you cannot see the difference when the track is built. Also its worth noting that the Crossing Vee filing tools are drawn and machined in RAM.
Regards
Dave

Return to “Track and Turnouts”