Recommended reading on prototype track construction?

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Bigfish

Recommended reading on prototype track construction?

Postby Bigfish » Thu May 03, 2012 4:00 pm

I’m trying to understand the detail of how the real thing was constructed before I have a go. I’m reading “GWR Switch & Crossing Practice” by David J Smith, which has lots of detail but is (obviously) about GWR practice. My specific interest is Midland/LMS. Can anyone recommend any further reading? (I note from another thread a pointer to MRJ issues 22-26 which I’m following up, if I can find copies).

craig_whilding

Re: Recommended reading on prototype track construction?

Postby craig_whilding » Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Not sure about the Midland but the LMS adopted REA trackwork so you could use Exactoscale piecces. I'd be looking at the LMS Journal perhaps for articles on earlier works.

wally

Postby wally » Thu May 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Google the Permanant Way Institute (the professional body for P W people) and purchase their handbooks especially the Bullhead Supplement, this is the ultimate text book on the subject.

Not a cut price option but you get what you pay for!

Wally

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Bob Essery has written quite a bit on Midland track.
Firstly:
"Modellers' Back Track". Part 1 was in Volume 1 no 2, June/July 1991
Part 2 in Vol 1 No 5, Part 3 Vol 2 No.3, Part 4, Vol 3 No 1, Part 5 Vol
4 No 2, Part 6 Vol 4 No 3, part 7 Vol 4 No 5.
This lot is very helpful.

Also:
A series of articles on Midland Rly track in "Model Railway Journal". Issues 22, 23 and 26 then also issue 210.
These relate to research and modelling for his layout 'Dewsbury'
There are one or two "Online" indexes where you can look up the actual issuies. Best Wishes, Mick.

It may also be worth checking the contents lists of Midland Record and/orLMS Journal.
Alternative Midland record index
regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

DougN

Postby DougN » Fri May 04, 2012 5:29 am

This might sound really strange but check out all the Dr Michael Godfrey literature on track building as listed in his articles in the Snooze. Michael is the most though person I know about building track he is also contactable on this list.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri May 04, 2012 6:16 am

Another industry publication is British Railway Track - design, construction and maintenance Editor is D.H. Coombes and opublished by the permanent Way Institution. The first part is probably the more useful to the modeller but the section on maiontenace is interesting. Now out of print - I got mine from Robert Humm. It will come up if you do a search on the web.

The other source of useful information about the prototype is the series of books by Bob Essery on Railway Operation for the Modeller, particularly the first one which has a brief section on track formation and thre latest one on Railway Signalling and Track Plans.

Terry Bendall

Bigfish

Postby Bigfish » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:51 pm

A somewhat belated "thank you" to all for your helpful suggestions. Keith, I've acquired copies of those MRJs and MBTs, and very helpful and interesting they are too. It does strike me as odd (although perhaps this just shows what a nerd I'm turning into) that there are acres of print on locos, wagons, carriages etc., yet relatively little on trackwork. I've got all the "Midland Records", for example, but can only recall one article on trackwork, that concerning maintenance rather than design & development. I suppose the problem is that the potential readership for any detailed serious work is pretty small (although that didn't stop the GWSG producing the splendid "GWR switch & crossing practice").

Alan

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:52 pm

The Midland Records do have a lot of lovely photographs which illustrate very well what you should be aiming for.
I assume you have looked at the track related items here http://www.scalefour.org/resources/resources.html
although the bulk of it is GW again.

Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Bigfish

Postby Bigfish » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:34 pm

Keith, thanks for that. Unquestionably the photographic material in Midland Record is superb, and I take your point about learning through use of Mark 1 Eyeball! And no, I hadn't found my way to the material in your link (other than the Protofour Manual) and it's quite something isn't it - I thank whoever carried out that particular labour of love. I'm most grateful for your staggeringly comprehensive knowledge of where everything is!

Alan

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm most grateful for your staggeringly comprehensive knowledge of where everything is!
It's what comes of being the ex-webmaster ;)
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

alandoyle

Postby alandoyle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:46 pm

I was recently referred to Railway Construction by W.H. Mills of the GNR(I) which covers everything from drainage ditches to viaduct design and has plenty of useful drawings.

http://archive.org/stream/railwayconstruc01millgoog#page/n13/mode/2up

Not specifically what you were looking for, but certainly recommended reading on track construction.

Alan

Armchair Modeller

Postby Armchair Modeller » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:30 am

Wow, that really is an interesting bit of reading! Many thanks for bring it to our attention. No more modelling for a while then.............. ;)

Bigfish

Postby Bigfish » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:37 am

Alan, that's a terrific discovery. Many thanks for your post.

Alan

alandoyle

Postby alandoyle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:57 pm

I thought it was pretty cool alright, but I claim no credit for the discovery. I was referred to it by John Mayne who models to 21mm gauge and EM standards, via [url]irishrailwaymodeller.com[/url] .

Alan

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 am

From the later threads I have done a little digging and have found some more maybe useful publications and have put them on the website as pdf files.
http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2148

Rob

Railconsultant1

Postby Railconsultant1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am

A very good book on British Railways practice for rail infrastructure is "Railway Works Construction" by H.M. Pearson and J.S. Campbell, Odhams Press 1960, 303pp. A review says "On the construction, repair and maintenance of railway civil engineering and building works, intended for all grades of railway and contractors works staff". ABE Books have copies in stock at the moment, guide price is about GBP 23. It covers most topics, including trackwork, bridges, tunnels, stations etc. A cracking read.

Regards, Martin Allen

Return to “Track and Turnouts”