Midland Railway track templates

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Bob Ellis

Midland Railway track templates

Postby Bob Ellis » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:48 pm

My interests thus far have focused exclusively on the N.E.R., but I have just acquired a model of Hawes station and I intend to relay the track to P4 standards to represent the station as it was in the early 1900s. Hawes was a joint N.E.R./M.R. station, but the track was laid and maintained by the Midland Railway. My attempts to find prototype information about Midland Railway track have drawn almost a complete blank - there is a small amount of information in "Midland Style" by George Dow, but nothing about turnouts. The N.E.R. produced detailed track standard books including diagrams of plain track and different types of turnout. Can anyone tell me whether the M.R. produced similar information and, if so, where I might find it?

essdee

Re: Midland Railway track templates

Postby essdee » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Bob, it would probably be worth having a look at MRJ issues 22-26, in which Bob Essery took an in-depth look at prototype trackwork, with a strong bias towards Midland practice, obviously. There was a follow-up article with readers' input. There are photos and diagrams, and at least one timbering plan. I think there were references to other sources as well.

Hope that gives you a start at least.
BW

Steve

ken kirk

Postby ken kirk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 am

Bob,
The HMRS have a very conprehensive collection of original MR track and turnout drawings which can, for a fee, be copied.
They have 115 listed.
Visit their drawing section on line and look at what they have got. http://www.hmrs.org.uk/drawings/index.php

In their search engine, I only used two entries in the drop down menus to get to the right place.
In "COMPANY" I selected "Midland Railway Company" and in "SUBJECT TYPE, I selected "TRACK."
All their MR track drawings are listed with an information box for each. Good innit?

You could also visit the Museum and Study Centre at Swanwick and ask to look for yourself. Wenesdays is the best bet.
You could also email Margaret Garrett, the Secretary, to help you out. http://www.hmrs.org.uk/_general_information/contact_us.php
Hope this is of help.
Ken Kirk
Last edited by ken kirk on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Ellis

Postby Bob Ellis » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks, Steve and Ken for your very useful input. I have located the MRJ articles, which provide a very useful starting point. I will have a look through the HMRS drawings tomorrow.

wonkychops

Postby wonkychops » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Many years ago Slaters printed track plans for the Midland Railway, in 7mm and perhaps in 4mm scales. However some while ago I asked if they had any left and I did obtain some for 7mm scale. These show 14inch sleepers and interlaced sleepering so they were "early" designs. They probably date for the time Slaters did a small run of resin cast chairs for 7mm modellers.

Some of these plans are over 600mm long (2 feet) and cannot be readily copied on home based systems, but if they are of any use I could investigate a local print shop facility who may be able to cope and perhaps reduce the size to 4mm - that is if Salter's don't mind.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Slaters do what they call a Track manual. Might be worth contacting them to find out what is in it.
'0010 Track Manual - Construction without Tears'

https://slatersplastikard.com/publications.php

They also do track drawings.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 am

Hardwick wrote:Slaters do what they call a Track manual. Might be worth contacting them to find out what is in it.

Very little that will be new to P4 modellers. A turnout is referred to as a "point" throughout, so you can judge for yourself the level at which it is written.

30 photocopied pages with a laminated cover contain a brief guide to building rivetted plywood track, with dimensions for 7mm/ft scale. No templates. A list of useful prototype dimensions at the back, such as width of embankments, etc.

I've had my copy for many years, so it's possible it has been rewritten since.

regards,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”