Joint Discussion

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
PeteScR

Joint Discussion

Postby PeteScR » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:33 pm

(originally posted in another place, but interested to get some feedback on here too)

I would be interested to know what methods others use to join and align track ends when constructing track runs.
I dont mean using the Peco type track joiners, more on Finescale layouts.

When say, points are being aligned and added to straight runs or just when building trackwork in straight track lengths.
I have seen them butted up close, and also heard of a method of bridging the bottom of the rail surface.
I have looked at the Exactoscale fishplates but not sure if thats the way to go?

Pete

craig_whilding

Re: Joint Discussion

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 pm

If its not an insulated join I solder my own etched scale fishplates to the one length of track and it slides onto the other nicely in the same was a Peco joint works. For insulated joins I araldite to the one length of rail an Exactoscale plastic fishplate instead to do the same thing. Their brass chairs can work the same as the former etched one but they are a lot more expensive!

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Only cosmetic joiners exist. No functional joiners are used or indeed made. The expectation is that the track base will hold the rails securely. Even Pendon uses the same method.

It is possible to use Peco N gauge joiners where it can't be seen on bullhead rail.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:52 pm

PeteScR wrote:I would be interested to know what methods others use to join and align track ends when constructing track runs.
I dont mean using the Peco type track joiners, more on Finescale layouts.

When say, points are being aligned and added to straight runs or just when building trackwork in straight track lengths.
I have seen them butted up close, and also heard of a method of bridging the bottom of the rail surface.
I have looked at the Exactoscale fishplates but not sure if thats the way to go?

I wouldn't go as far as Tim in saying that fishplates are only cosmetic, but he's correct that they certainly aren't functional in the same way that OO ones are.

I solder the ends of the rails together (butt-jointed) but the joint is reinforced by soldering an etched brass fishplate across it. I use the Colin Waite ones. Unfortunately they are (unless anyone knows better) out of production. I have a couple of packets in stock, which will last me a layout or two. However they do seem to come up relatively frequently on that well-known auction site...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colin-Waite-4 ... 0638401409

Of course, they can also be used cosmetically, with a notch cut in the top of the rail and one wafted onto the side of the rail below it. Evident in cruel close-up here:

IMG_3150 (Medium).JPG

HTH
Flymo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Trouble is that any attempt like this to butt solder will result in the joint failing. You cannot rely on Colin Waite type fishplates to align the rails. The rails will move, in fact they should be allowed freedom to move - lengthwise, as they expand and contract. This is what will cause the butt joints to fail.

Peco etc joiners allow the rail to move, as they rely on a friction joint.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Return to “Track and Turnouts”