Details required foe a Cowan Sheldon 48ft Turntable.

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Brian-NSS-1921

Details required foe a Cowan Sheldon 48ft Turntable.

Postby Brian-NSS-1921 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,

As a newbie on the scene, I would like to ask, if anyone has any precise details of the Cowan Sheldon 48 foot manual turntable.

A detailed drawing of such a turntable would be very welcome, as I need to construct one of these devices for my project.

Hoping in anticipation.

All the best,

Brian.

Armchair Modeller

Re: Details required foe a Cowan Sheldon 48ft Turntable.

Postby Armchair Modeller » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:01 pm

In MRJ 25 is a drawing of Cowans Sheldon 50ft TT

Postby 45609 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Hello,

The Barrow Road layout team obtained a full set of dimensioned drawings for the 60 ft turntable installed at Bristol Barrow Road roundhouse from the Cumbria County Council records office

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/default.asp

Curmbria CC hold an archive for the Cowans Sheldon company and may well have drawings for other turntables.

Cheers....Morgan

Brian-NSS-1921

Postby Brian-NSS-1921 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Armchair Modeller wrote:In MRJ 25 is a drawing of Cowans Sheldon 50ft TT

Hi Armchair Modeller,

Many thanks for the information, will now have to try and get a copy of that document.

All the best,

Brian.

Brian-NSS-1921

Postby Brian-NSS-1921 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:20 pm

mlgilbert30 wrote:Hello,

The Barrow Road layout team obtained a full set of dimensioned drawings for the 60 ft turntable installed at Bristol Barrow Road roundhouse from the Cumbria County Council records office

Curmbria CC hold an archive for the Cowans Sheldon company and may well have drawings for other turntables.

Cheers....Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Many thanks for the information.

Will most certainly investigate Cumbria CC archive and see what documents can be had from them.

All the best,

Brian.

Brian-NSS-1921

Postby Brian-NSS-1921 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:05 pm

mlgilbert30 wrote:Hello,

Cheers....Morgan

Hi Morgan,

Have just sent off two emails to Cumbria CC archive.

We shall see what develops.

All the best,

Brian.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Brian,

Firstly welcome to the Scalefour Society, you are most welcome and I hope that you enjoy being a member and contributing/utilising the discussion forum.

Firstly, if you have difficulty getting the quoted MRJ then drop me a private mail and I can sort something out. It was a lengthy and very good article on both the prototype origins and also the building of a model of the turntable.

It is also probably worth looking at the Society's book on the building of St Merryn, as this touches on the building and operation of the turntable on this.

When I did a little research for my turntable, I found that the girders were pretty similar for my chosen type (also a Cowans Sheldon) but the deck/handrails and supporting wheels did vary. I am not sure if this was over time or specific to what I was looking at but these bits were generally the easiest to pick up from photographs (the girders where generally in shade so difficult to see). Thus this drawing is likely to be a very good start.

Finally, there is a kit available for the 50 foot version. No idea what it is like or its availability, but here is a link: http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/model-railway-products.htm
Mark Tatlow

Brian-NSS-1921

Postby Brian-NSS-1921 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:Brian,

Firstly welcome to the Scalefour Society, you are most welcome and I hope that you enjoy being a member and contributing/utilising the discussion forum.

Firstly, if you have difficulty getting the quoted MRJ then drop me a private mail and I can sort something out. It was a lengthy and very good article on both the prototype origins and also the building of a model of the turntable.

It is also probably worth looking at the Society's book on the building of St Merryn, as this touches on the building and operation of the turntable on this.

When I did a little research for my turntable, I found that the girders were pretty similar for my chosen type (also a Cowans Sheldon) but the deck/handrails and supporting wheels did vary. I am not sure if this was over time or specific to what I was looking at but these bits were generally the easiest to pick up from photographs (the girders where generally in shade so difficult to see). Thus this drawing is likely to be a very good start.

Finally, there is a kit available for the 50 foot version. No idea what it is like or its availability, but here is a link: http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/model-railway-products.htm

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your response to my query, sorry did not get straight back to you, was involved with a batch of lengthy emails to Jim Smith-Wright.

I will certainly keep you in mind if the need arises regarding the MRJ 25.

I must say your posting message is extremely detailed, which I really appreciate, since it is getting late, I will have to look at the items you suggest, and your layout, tomorrow.

Many thanks again Mark your input is really appreciated.

All the best,

Brian.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”