Supporting wheels for turntable deck

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Rdunning

Supporting wheels for turntable deck

Postby Rdunning » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm looking for a source of supporting wheels for a turntable deck. Spec is a plain brass disc 12mm o/d, thickness 1.5-2mm, centre drilled 2mm.

Looks like a simple job for turning on a lathe but unfortunately I don't own one.

I've trawled the web for commercial sources but without success, hence this appeal.

any suggestions please?

Richard Dunning (3772)

David Knight

Re: Supporting wheels for turntable deck

Postby David Knight » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Richard,

Have you considered HO wheelsets, available from a variety of sources and suitable for 2mm axles?

Cheers,

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Rather than H0 wheels which are usually smaller than 12mm I would suggest using normal 00 disc wagon wheels. P4 wheels could be used and there is less flange to remove, but if you do any RTR conversions you will likely have the 00 ones in the scrap bin. For the basic job of removing the flange you should be able to manage with an electric drill, no need for a lathe.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:55 am

Rdunning wrote:I'm looking for a source of supporting wheels for a turntable deck. Spec is a plain brass disc 12mm o/d, thickness 1.5-2mm, centre drilled 2mm.

If you have problems doing the job as Keith suggests Richerd, get in touch with me off list and I will sort something out. I have a big box of OO wheels waiting for a job.

Terry Bendall

Rdunning

Postby Rdunning » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Gents,
Thanks very much for your swift replies. By way of explanation for the original post, I do already have wheels on my turntable, which work adequately in terms of current collection via the ring rail in the well, being all-metal 00 gauge spoked bogie wheels from some long-forgotten DJH kit. I did try to turn off the flanges using the method Keith suggests, but with limited success as the wheels were mounted on their steel axles via an insulating bush and tended to move on the axle under the pressure of a file applied to them in the drill. Hence they do not score highly for concentricity.
The result (and the problem to be solved) is that the table turns in a series of small irregular jerks rather than in one smooth sweep. I'm 99% sure it's due to the dodgy wheels as when the deck is lifted clear of the ring rail it turns pretty smoothly. The final drive is via a 60:1 Romford worm/gear set by the way (total reduction is 3,000:1 - the motor has an integral 50:1 gearbox ).
So, Terry, I'll probably be in touch to take up your kind offer...

Richard Dunning

Rdunning

Postby Rdunning » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:46 pm

As indicated I got in touch with Terry and he very kindly sent me some new disc wheels (OO wagon, solid metal with the flanges turned off.) They have solved the problem and I attach a link to Youtube for a short clip of the turntable starting its revolution if anyone is interested in viewing the results.

Some photos of the wheels in situ and the table itself are also attached.

Finally as a new user of the Society e-forum may I say how impressed I am with the results of my appeal for help and of course thanks to Terry for supplying the wheels. It would not have been possible without the forum.

Richard 26/03/2011
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”