TOU

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
TEZBEDZ

Re: TOU

Postby TEZBEDZ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
TEZBEDZ wrote:I am interested in the construction of the TOU, I have started to build some similar to those in Iain Rices book. Yours look very neat.

Hi Terry,

Over ----> there...

On my "Beer and Buckjumpers" thread :-)

http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=425&start=300

Flymo

I am hoping to pick up some square section evergreen at Wigan tomorrow. Thanks
Regards

Terry

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Chris Mitton wrote:I can't see that using four tubes and droppers would work, since the two pairs of blade-tips have to move in different directions

In the vast majority of double slips, the two pairs of blades move in the same direction. (Exceptions to this were very rare.) Thus a normal TOU slider block is perfectly ok, with 4 tubes sticking up. The slight flexibility of each tube and its wire (to the blade) is particularly important for double slips, each end of which needs 2 blades to fit concurrently to their respective running rails.

It is not necessary for the TOU to be mounted at a perfect perpendicular to any blade pair, so a midway setting is adopted for double slips - there's usually enough give in the tubes/wires for it to work ok.

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:17 pm

Russ Elliott wrote:In the vast majority of double slips, the two pairs of blades move in the same direction. (Exceptions to this were very rare.)

Ok I give in, when would an exception happen?

will

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:57 pm

I can recall seeing only one photo of such a beast, and that was on a goods-only location somewhere in the Welsh valleys - can't remember the location, but I think the pic was in an issue of GWRJ. I couldn't see a rationale for the arrangement, but no doubt there was some method in the madness.

JohnB

Postby JohnB » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Double slip should not be a problem driving all 4 blades off one drive bar.
There is enough flex on dropper wires from blades to accommodate the angular change over the 1.5 mm or so of blade movement.
I've used one drive bar successfully on several slips in P4 and some OO commissions.

John B.

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:09 am

I used the Hoffmann motors on my layout and was very pleased with the results. The Conrad motors look almost identical from the pictures and are a fraction of the price. Has anyone made a comparison?

Chris

A few posts back I appreciate but, assuming I haven’t missed it of course (in which case could some kind soul point me in the right direction?), is anyone prepared to share their experiences of using Hoffman motors with TOU’s please?

I am looking at possibilities for my new project and the Hoffman looks good. But then again you may know different?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Steve
Steve Carter

Return to “Track and Turnouts”