daft track question

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
dgp1957

daft track question

Postby dgp1957 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi Guys, sorry if this is a really daft question, but I am wanting to try and build a bit of track on my layout, just a couple of feet just now to test run my loco, what exactly would I need to buy from the stores or other shop to produce say a 3 foot test track, (cheapest and easiest method) :?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Re: daft track question

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:35 pm

I don't think anyone sells rail in such small quantities, but you will surely have a use for the remainder eventually. The simplest way to get a test track is to use the slide on sleeper bases. These are not available from the stores but can be had from Exactoscale and C&L. For this purpose the Exactoscale ones are better as they have thicker sleepers and are more robust when not fixed to anything.

Exactoscale
Steel rail BH - 4RA B01B - £7
N/S rail BH - 4RA B02B - £9
Steel rail FB - 4RA F01B - £9
N/S rail FB - 4RA F02B - £12
BH bases 2m - 4FT 101A - £6
FB bases 2m - 4FT 103A - £7
So minimum purchase is steel BH at £7 + £6 = £13.

C&L
Steel rail BH - 4RA101B - £6.80
N/S rail BH - 4RA101A - £7.90
Steel rail FB - 4RA101D - £9
N/S rail FB - 4RA101G - £7.90
BH bases 5m - 4TBP4 - £16.40
FB bases - n/a
So minimum purchase is steel BH at £6.80 + £16.40 = £23.20

But C&L do also offer this ready assembled at £4.20 per metre, BH or FB

NB I have not checked T&Cs for P&P.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

dgp1957

Postby dgp1957 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:50 am

Thanks Keith, I'm just going to get the Flexi track from CL, next month I might just try a turnout :D if I'm feeling brave that is.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am

dgp1957 wrote:Thanks Keith, I'm just going to get the Flexi track from CL, next month I might just try a turnout if I'm feeling brave that is.

If you are coming to Model Rail Glasgow come and find me, either on the Society stand or the Rail Express stand and I will go through building a P4 Track Co turnout with you. I have some to build for the Rail Express layout project so can do it in stages. Really they are not very difficult - if you can build an Airfix kit you can build one of these.

Terry Bendall

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 pm

dgp1957 wrote:I'm just going to get the Flexi track from CL

DGP, I don't know what radii you're considering but you may want to consider the possibility that gauge narrowing might occur with C&L Flexitrack. We made some notes when making the selections for our new layout here: http://www.newportmrs.com/lmjprogress.htm.

Best of luck
Rod

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Hiya

Not sure if c&l do scale thickness sleepers but the exactoscale point kits are. Beware that the 2 might not fit together as supplied.

Hth

Jim

Does anyone do scale thickness wooden sleepers?
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:46 pm

newport_rod wrote:
dgp1957 wrote:I'm just going to get the Flexi track from CL

DGP, I don't know what radii you're considering but you may want to consider the possibility that gauge narrowing might occur with C&L Flexitrack. We made some notes when making the selections for our new layout here: http://www.newportmrs.com/lmjprogress.htm.

Rod,
I followed your link to the Newportmrs website; a very interesting read. I now have a few questions:
* What sort of paper were you using for the templates?
** Can anyone else give some guidance about what paper is best to use please.
*** What was your view on Gauge narrowing, I did not find any reference during my perusal of the site.
This time last year I had an email exchange with Brian Lewis ( C&L)
This is what he wrote about his flexitrack:
"In previous occasions when this [ gauge problems] has come up, it has been poor track laying which is at fault - 'banana-ing' where the track has not been glued down across the width of the sleepers."
and,
" As to a minimum radius, we have to be practical. I tried for a minimum of 4ft 6in radius, but this is not always practical. Certainly, I would not want to go below 3 ft 6in."

Hope this helps dgp,
regards
LesG

The man who never made a mistake
never made anything useful

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 am

With all due respect I would not consider Brian Lewis to be impartial on this one. Whenever I tried to use the C&L track bases on curves sharper than around 6ft radius I had gauge problems and ended up relaying the sections concerned with ply and rivet. The C&L track is fine on the straighter sections. I am confident that the track was glued down properly but of course I have no proof now. But bear in mind that Exactoscale make their version with a wider gauge for the curved sections, there is a reason for that.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

allanferguson

Postby allanferguson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 am

I laid my end curves, of about 1000mm radius, with C & L track and found the gauge had narrowed to about 18.6mm. I relaid with Exactoscale widened track bases, which are about 19.15mm gauge when straight, and roughly 19.0mm on these corners, which seems to do me. The sleeper depth is different, though....

I would agree that rivet and ply, or plastic chairs welded to plastic sleepers would have been better, but life's too short and I'm getting older!

Allan F

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 pm

LesGros wrote: I followed your link to the Newportmrs website; a very interesting read. I now have a few questions:
* What sort of paper were you using for the templates?
** Can anyone else give some guidance about what paper is best to use please.
*** What was your view on Gauge narrowing, I did not find any reference during my perusal of the site.

Les
* For the large prints you might have seen on the site either on the lmjprogress page or here http://www.newportmrs.com/clubgoingson.htm, the paper was whatever was on the roll of the plotting machine we used, it wasn't a heavy paper and certainly swelled when even slightly damp (even precluding the use of Pritt). When plotting onto A4 we used a much heavier paper which was easier to handle but still I can't give you any specific details.
** I can't help much more on this, but there has been extensive discussion on the Templot Users' Forum see here http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1288&forum_id=1 and other threads on the Forum.
*** We have experienced gauge narrowing before the track was stuck down (it's mentioned about two-thirds down the lmjprogress page). I can't recall by how much and at what radius but it was enough to disuade us from using it anywhere other than the straight sections in the goods yard.
Hope this helps
Rod

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:16 pm

Rod,
Thanks for the info, I intended to check out the Templot forum next, but since not everyone uses it, posted the enquiry here to reach a wider readership. Keith's comments and your experience with the C&L track emphasise the importance of checking the gauge at all stages of construction.

A gauge widened form of flexitrack would appear to be desirable and would doubtless find a ready market with those of us who have large layout ambitions, but limited time available for traditional methods of construction.

regards
LesG

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:07 pm

A gauge widened form of flexitrack would appear to be desirable

As noted above Les, Exactoscale already do their bases in Gauge widened form.
All you have to do is slide the rails into the bases, maybe 5 minutes for each metre of track. Any P4 aspirant who can't manage that bit is not going to get very far with a layout.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 pm

I think C+L flexi is compromised slightly by having the 0.8mm thick sleepers as it tends to be slightly tight to gauge when kept straight and not attached to anything.

The original Slattocks layout had been built with plain C+L on the curves and locos built with the S4 b2b (at the top of the P4 range) couldn't cope with it. The new plan has been laid to triangular gauges using Exactoscale sleepers and chairs though not the panels. Gauge widening through the triangular gauge is only a maximum of about 0.1mm with 3ft 6 minimum curves and is entirely adequate.

I printed the original Templot plan on plotter paper 90g/m^2 and that shrank by a few cm's over each 6ft board. We sliced it up and transferred the alignment to the boards with panel pins which would hold the track in the correct place when the plan was removed.

LesGros

Postby LesGros » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Thanks Keith,
I was aware of the Exacto solution, having read the earlier posts. However having stocked up with Society Brook Smith kit, one is a tad committed to building with the thinner sleepers. Mixing Exactoscale in requires a bit of a fiddle with levels, as Flymo found and describes in his thread on the demo plank. Not an insurmountable problem, but one would prefer to avoid it if possible.
Regards,
LesG

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 pm

However having stocked up with Society Brook Smith kit, one is a tad committed to building with the thinner sleepers.

Same as me, not just stocked up but built, now I'm just doing occasional mods. I use the C&L where straight enough and the Brook-Smith for all the sharper curves (Which is most of the curves). The worst part of the Brook Smith is adding the cosmetic chairs, I do a little when in the mood, I'm maybe half way through that task. As my track is round the walls, mostly only one side of the rail is visible so only the visible side gets cosmetic chairs, half the cost and half the time, 99% of the effect.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 am

LesGros wrote:

Thanks Keith,
I was aware of the Exacto solution, having read the earlier posts. However having stocked up with Society Brook Smith kit, one is a tad committed to building with the thinner sleepers. Mixing Exactoscale in requires a bit of a fiddle with levels, as Flymo found and describes in his thread on the demo plank. Not an insurmountable problem, but one would prefer to avoid it if possible.
Regards,

C+L/ply 0.8mm
Exactoscale 1.6mm

cork/balsa available 0.8mm thick.

The Exactoscale plainline has been mixes with ply and rivet pointwork on Slattocks by mounting the points on squares of balsa that make up the difference apart from the bits Mr Petter got to which are based on cork. Personally I find the balsa easier to cut and sand the shoulder into.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”