Masokits Tiebar units

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
steve howe

Masokits Tiebar units

Postby steve howe » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:48 pm

I know this has been touched on in several posts within this forum, but I am interested in people's views on the Masokits Tiebar. I am looking for a robust but good looking system for the Watermouth Project as the 35 or so points currently on the layout use a variety of methods from the original Studiolith units, to the early Society tibars in the plastic tube, to good old rivetted sleepers to greater or lesser success, and I would like to standardise on one type which will remain consistent. I am in the process of making up a couple of masokits units to evaluate their ease of construction and general robustness. Personally I like the idea of a scale size etched crank beside the point attached by prototypical rod to the bar. The crank being turned via a 1/16" rod passing through tube to a suiatble slow motor beneath, I saw this system in action recently on Rodney Hall's 'Llanastr' and was much impressed. Has anyone adapted them for double slips? presumably its would be a case of two units mounted on one long strip of PCB?

Steve

Dave K

Re: Masokits Tiebar units

Postby Dave K » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 am

I've used the Masokits tiebars on two layout at present and am starting to install them on a third. Once I got the hang of cutting the PCB to the correct dimensions and ensuring the etch was firmly attached has had no problems. Have also found some mini files which make filing the gaps in the copper clad a lot easier.

Have not tried to use them on a double slip to-date but the new layout has one and was going to broach the subject with Mr Masokits at Scalefourm.

Rdunning

Postby Rdunning » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:51 pm

I've had one in use on my layout for a couple of years now and find it to be very robust and completely reliable. I would like to fit them to all turnouts on the layout but they are pretty difficult to retro-fit once track is laid in my experience. For new construction though if fitted before the turnout is installed i would recommend them whole-heartedly. Very strong once made up and they look the part.

Richard Dunning 3772

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Personally I like the idea of a scale size etched crank beside the point attached by prototypical rod to the bar. The crank being turned via a 1/16" rod passing through tube to a suitable slow motor beneath,

If doing this I would recommend the Ambis "PALM" unit for driving the crank, with a Servo to drive the PALM. The PALM is robust and sets the angular rotation of the crank to a prototypical level so there is no risk of overdriving the crank.
On the other hand the Ambis tie bar, although the same in principle as the Masokits one, I found rather difficult, it worked for a long time on my test demo but I was not prepared to try retrofitting on the layout. My trial Masokits one is still in the packet, must have a go sometime.
On the other hand my current test demo, in FB rail is using a home made clone of Andy Reicherts P87 tie bar which I am very impressed with and must try adapting to bullhead.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Return to “Track and Turnouts”