CNC milled track bases

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Martin Wynne

CNC milled track bases

Postby Martin Wynne » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:23 pm

For a fraction of the cost of a laser cutter, it's possible to get a desktop CNC miller:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08K95J434/

Timber outlines can be milled into the surface of plywood or MDF to create a one-piece solid trackbase. Cut directly from Templot files. No CAD skills needed. No fiddling with laser-cut timbers, no glue, no templates.

Imagine the spaces between the timbers filled with ballast :) -- (this is MDF, part of a B-6 turnout in EM):

The sockets are for 3D-printed plug-in chairs from Templot, but ordinary C&L/Exactoscale chairs could be used in the usual way on plain timbers:

Timber outlines milled 1mm deep. Sockets 2mm deep. Base 3mm thick MDF. The chairs are a firm push fit.

There are other options for Plug Track including 3D-printed (FDM/filament) and laser-cut timbering bases.

All still very experimental, a long way to go. More info on the Templot Club forum.

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Enigma

Re: CNC milled track bases

Postby Enigma » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:29 pm

Very interesting concept Martin. Will they become available in due course to purchase? Personally I don't use Templot (though have used plots done for me by friends) and doubt that I ever will so being able to specify a requirement and have it provided would be a definite bonus.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:51 pm

Enigma wrote:Very interesting concept Martin. Will they become available in due course to purchase?

Hi,

Not from me. Templot is my hobby, I'm just doing this stuff for fun. But Templot is available free for anyone else to use if they wish.

So it's quite possible someone else will offer a service to make Plug Track to order from Templot files. That might be CNC-milled bases, laser-cut bases, 3D-printed bases, or something else. Likewise the matching 3D-printed plug-in chairs.

But my main intention is to have model-making fun making stuff myself, and I know there are other Templot users who want to do the same, or for their friends. Folks who want to operate commercially ought really to do their own inventing. :)

cheers,

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Andrew GW

Postby Andrew GW » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for posting this - I wasn't previously aware of these machines, but having seen this idea I'm now seriously considering getting one! The Templot Club thread has answered most of my immediate queries.

I have one remaining question please (which I'm happy to re-post on the existing Templot Club discussion if you prefer, rather than starting a parallel one here); do you know if you can get overall guards/enclosures for the Mostics machines? I haven't managed to find any on the web so far, but it strikes me that in a true "desktop" situation, alongside your computer, it would be best to have the machine fully-enclosed. Amazon does list a similar machine with a transparent enclosure ("FoxAlien" brand), but this appears to lack the handwheels of the Mostics version.

One further idea regarding materials - I have seen engineering models for towing tank and wind tunnel testing CNC-milled from a hard, dense closed-cell foam (possibly polyurethane?), which I think was specifically manufactured for CNC cutting. This was homogeneous, grain-free, dimensionally stable and produced very crisp edges. If I can find out details I'll let you know.

Andrew

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:12 pm

Andrew GW wrote:I have one remaining question please (which I'm happy to re-post on the existing Templot Club discussion if you prefer, rather than starting a parallel one here); do you know if you can get overall guards/enclosures for the Mostics machines? I haven't managed to find any on the web so far, but it strikes me that in a true "desktop" situation, alongside your computer, it would be best to have the machine fully-enclosed. Amazon does list a similar machine with a transparent enclosure ("FoxAlien" brand), but this appears to lack the handwheels of the Mostics version.

Hi Andrew,

I've found these two covers/enclosures for the 3018 machines:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genmitsu-KABA- ... B08S7FGJZX

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genmitsu-Acryl ... B087WQQW91

But I think it would be very awkward to work inside such an enclosure while adjusting and setting up. All you really need is some sort of box to put over the machine while it's running.

They also look expensive for what they are. I think I could make something myself to do the same job, with a bit more elbow room. Here's James Dean building one:

p.s. I think the handwheels are essential, notice that James Dean's machine doesn't have them. The enclosure could do with being a bit bigger so that you can get at them easily.

cheers,

Martin.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”