London and Croydon

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Stewart Mason

London and Croydon

Postby Stewart Mason » Fri May 14, 2021 11:53 am

Hello all.
I've long wanted to make a model that shows a section of the London and Croydon Atmospheric railway. At first this was going to be a large(ish) static diorama, on a 4' x 2' baseboard, but I decided I'd like to see the trains moving, so hence my reason for joining the Scalefour Society.
I'm busy doing some background reading on the subject, and I have the LB&SCR carriages book by Ian White et al. and also the Charles Hadfield book 'Atmospheric Railways', but I'm struggling to come to a conclusion on the track dimensions. I understand it was pretty much a standard gauge version of the Brunel type of track, with Vignole rail, and the atmospheric pipe down the middle, but does anyone know the sleeper dimensions/spacing/chair types etc.?
The other question is, will it be possible to model this to any degree of accuracy with the items available in the Society stores and elsewhere?
I understand 5&9 models do cast resin atmospheric pipes, so there's one part covered, any good advice on the rest?

Kind regards

Stewart.

Guy Rixon

Re: London and Croydon

Postby Guy Rixon » Fri May 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Vignoles_rail_early.jpg
Vignoles_rail_early.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 792 times

The section of L&C rail, as described on Wikipedia under Vignoles rail. Nothing much like any rail-section I've seen modelled. However, if this was laid with the sleepers boxed in, you might get away with using an over-scale rail chosen to match the scale width of the head.

Stewart Mason

Re: London and Croydon

Postby Stewart Mason » Thu May 20, 2021 6:16 pm

Difficult to model I guess, i may have to use a certain degree of modellers licence. Nobody is going to see it but me anyway.
I wonder if it would be possible to pull a wire section through a die to produce vignoles section? Probably not. Just thinking out loud.

Return to “Track and Turnouts”