Joggled Stockrails

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Martin Wynne

Re: Joggled Stockrails

Postby Martin Wynne » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Hi Julian,

Templot will print the template with joggles if you tick the box on the switch settings dialog:

joggles2.png
joggles2.png (53.95 KiB) Viewed 296 times

joggles1.png
joggles1.png (56.93 KiB) Viewed 295 times

cheers,

Martin.
40 years developing Templot. And counting ...

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:36 am

Thanks for the advice Dave and Martin - I will do that if I get into doing more Dave. But my next project is a fiddleyard turnout. I think pcb is a slightly underrated medium. This would have been a lot more faff with ply and rivet. Yes Martin I had forgotten for this print out but had a previous template including joggles to see where they are. I've made these joggles 3mm long so I concentrated on lining up with the set and stockgauge. I've got "into" Templot sufficiently to get to see different turnouts. It's very easy to use so far, with the tutorials very helpful too. I'm not pc savvy and haven't any previous skills, certainly not CAD. Pity it's not compatible with a phone as I'm away from home a lot. The switch I'm doing is an A6 by the way.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:14 am

I was going to illustrate completing the switch. Another turnout has taken priority. This is a Y turnout for the fiddleyard so function is the sole criteria. There is no attempt to conceal the joggles. Both roads have a slight bend at the set. I realised that the stockgauge needs to be slightly gauge widened so I'll redo that part of the switch I was making a week ago. A wagon runs smoothly through both routes.
20190614_230120.jpg

The crossing and checkrails were constructed first
Attachments
20190614_213112.jpg

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 am

I'm disappointed that we've failed to convince you that the joggle is unnecessary, Julian. The work of the devil, in fact. I will, though, agree that pcb trackwork, 60s style is great fun - all my visible fiddle yard is made this way. It's just nice to do something quickly for a change, although it needs packing up to the level of normal track.

If you gap the sleepers just inside the nearest rail, the break is not normally visible. You can make a gapping tool by soldering a short piece (10mm) of junior hacksaw blade into a vertical handle and just running this along inside the rail. It's a huge improvement in appearance.

DaveB

Return to “Track and Turnouts”