Fylde Area Group (October 2014)

Moderator: mike_t_norris

mike_t_norris

Fylde Area Group (October 2014)

Postby mike_t_norris » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:21 pm

The 23rd October saw a good turnout of eight members, with apologies from one.

Richard brought along a couple of engines for a re-test after some minor modifications, a Standard 4 2-6-0 and a Standard 3 2-6-2T both performed well given a nice long train to haul. He also brought along a bracket signal that he has been building complete with servo drive and bounce, from DG Controls, it looked and worked nicely.

It was also time for a bit of celebration as this was the unveiling of the first finished building to grace my Preston layout; I only hope it is not as long before there is another one to accompany it.

nikon 019.jpg

nikon 022.jpg

nikon 020.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

JFS

Re: Fylde Area Group (October 2014)

Postby JFS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:12 am

Hello Mike,

Wow! Fantastic work - stirrup catch handles to the levers even. Very well done.

Very much looking forward to the next installment.

Best wishes,

Howard.

Colin Parks

Postby Colin Parks » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Super photos of the signal box Mike.

These are the first photos I have seen of the station area of Preston, can't wait to see more.

Colin

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:23 pm

Colin,
Plenty more if you look back through the Fylde Area Group topics, eg http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2635
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

mike_t_norris

Postby mike_t_norris » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:17 pm

Thank You, Howard, Colin and Keith, for your kind words.

Just wish I could get to more of the buildings, although I am not sure about the Stirrup catch handles, they were a bit of a pin to glue on, don't really fancy that on a box with 162 levers!

Just a bit of background in case you are interested, the box was originally built in 1880 and extended in 1922, levers A-E added making 43. The base of cabin was demolished when it was shunted into through the buffer stop shown on some of the pictures, around the mid-late 1920's hence the non-standard LNWR base. Also there was not a chimney, so signalman Tattersall has an electric stove and a gas heater in the roof. So it's a best guess at the interior layout.

Anyway having a break from operating sessions in the New Year until spring to try and get some of those bigger jobs done!

JFS

Postby JFS » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Many thanks for the background Mike.

mike_t_norris wrote: I am not sure about the Stirrup catch handles ... don't really fancy that on a box with 162 levers!

I think you might be permitted some leeway considering that you have more signal boxes than many people have points!

I trust things won't be going rusty over winter and looking forward to getting all the way through the timetable next year!

Best wishes,

PS - I did wonder about the stove - leaving the door open on the Baby Belling would not compete with the howling gale blowing through the gaping gaps in a Crewe Lever Frame (no doubt Keith will be back to me shortly about that!)

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Wonderful work, Mike.

You've set the bar for the next buildings very high. Can we expect curled up ham sandwiches under a glass bell jar in the station buffet?

Can't wait to get my hands on the controls next month!

Ian

mike_t_norris

Postby mike_t_norris » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks for you kind comment, well all I can say is start as you mean to go on ;-}

Looking forward to having your group visit next month - see you then.

Rdunning

Postby Rdunning » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks for featuring my efforts yet again Mike. It is good to have the opportunity to see if one's "shunting plank" locos can actually pull a proper train!

If any readers are interested in servo operation of signals, the name of the supplier of control units etc is not "DG Controls" as stated above but rather:

GF Controls: Their website is:http://www.gfcontrols.co.uk/index.php/semaphore-signals/

The owners Frank Jones and Geoff Peters are helpful to a fault (and I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer).

The signal box is an exquisite piece of modelling BTW.

Richard.

Return to “Fylde”