Scalefour Crewe 2023

Moderator: Will L

Richard S

Scalefour Crewe 2023

Postby Richard S » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:11 pm

An update on the Northern exhibition which the Committee have granted permission to be held in Crewe next year with the Crewe Area Group helping to organise.

Our venue is the main function suite of Crewe Alexandra FC which offers just over 400 square metres of exhibition space. There is a large pay and display car park next door and the ground is 5 minutes walk from Crewe station on the West Coast Main Line with transport links across the North, Midlands, Wales and beyond.

The date for the event will be Saturday 3rd and Sunday 4th June 2023 with Friday 2nd for set up. The date is later than in previous years as we had to wait until the end of the football league season in order to secure the venue.

This message is both to update member's on the state of play on the exhibition and as a request for assistance in running the event. This includes duties such as the bring and buy stall, admissions and stewarding inside the venue. We will be feeding and watering all those who help out over the weekend.

Tony W

Re: Scaleforum North 2023

Postby Tony W » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:53 pm

Great news its to be held again. The Manchester Group is happy to run the Bring and Buy Stall.

Tony

iak

Postby iak » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:20 pm

Excellent news...
A quick blurt down the WCML and finescale frivolity open to all.
:thumb :thumb :thumb
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

ralphrobertson

Postby ralphrobertson » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:48 pm

Well done Crewe Area Group and thanks for arranging this for us all.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:54 pm

Perhaps a press release for the News would be appropriate?
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:28 pm

Great news that S4N will be up and running again although, as a Geordie, I find it hard to contemplate that a show that is over 3.5 hours drive south from Newcastle can be classed as 'North' :mrgreen:

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:08 pm

Tim V wrote:Perhaps a press release for the News would be appropriate?

Good call. Do you need something drafting or is this message of use?

Richard S

Postby Richard S » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:55 pm

Tony W wrote:Great news its to be held again. The Manchester Group is happy to run the Bring and Buy Stall.

Tony

Thank you Tony, that offer is greatly appreciated.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Richard S wrote:
Tim V wrote:Perhaps a press release for the News would be appropriate?

Good call. Do you need something drafting or is this message of use?

A press release would be better.
Tim V

Penrhos1920

Postby Penrhos1920 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:44 pm

John Donnelly wrote:Great news that S4N will be up and running again although, as a Geordie, I find it hard to contemplate that a show that is over 3.5 hours drive south from Newcastle can be classed as 'North' :mrgreen:

I thought the same when I looked up a train journey from Teesside. It’s that little bit beyond Manchester that adds a lot of extra time to the journey.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:31 am

Penrhos1920 wrote:
John Donnelly wrote:Great news that S4N will be up and running again although, as a Geordie, I find it hard to contemplate that a show that is over 3.5 hours drive south from Newcastle can be classed as 'North' :mrgreen:

I thought the same when I looked up a train journey from Teesside. It’s that little bit beyond Manchester that adds a lot of extra time to the journey.

For somebody who has been to every Scalefour Nouth, South, Scaleforum and most AGMs for the last 35 years. Its nice to have one on my doorstep. I haven't actually seen the show properly in 28 years because of standing behind the Society Stores stand. Of Coarse, there is nothing to stop you setting up a Scalefour North east. I will happily make the journey and bring the stores with me. I will even take them to the far north of Scotland if a group want to put on a show up there.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:32 am

Yes, I'm afraid it's a step too far south as far as I'm concerned.

DT

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:37 am

Jeremy Suter wrote:
Penrhos1920 wrote:For somebody who has been to every Scalefour Nouth, South, Scaleforum and most AGMs for the last 35 years. Its nice to have one on my doorstep. I haven't actually seen the show properly in 28 years because of standing behind the Society Stores stand. Of Coarse, there is nothing to stop you setting up a Scalefour North east. I will happily make the journey and bring the stores with me. I will even take them to the far north of Scotland if a group want to put on a show up there.

It's not the distance per-se, I shall be making the 4+ hour journey to Scaleforum this year to help man the Society stand for example. As I said, the Geordie in me thinks that I live in the 'north' which Crewe certainly isn't. :D

MarcD

Postby MarcD » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:36 am

The gauge O guilds north show is in Doncaster which again I wouldn't class as "the north" either. I would say that Crewe is the midlands but I live in the Lake District and I suppose if you live in "the south" then anything above Watford is "the north" as the sign on the M1 states clearly.

Marc
www.pregroupingrailways.com for everything built before 1923

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:06 am

John Donnelly wrote:... As I said, the Geordie in me thinks that I live in the 'north' which Crewe certainly isn't...

A point of view thing I agree, but would you accept Manchester as North? From Newcastle I'd have though the difference was marginal. Exactly were the line between the Midlands and the North West is, is an interesting question mostly driven, I find, by which side of the line you think you live on. My wife has been muttering about having to live in "the north" for years (she's a Suffolk girl). I think "certainly" over states your case.

Will Litchfield
Crewe Area Group (Dis)Organiser
Edited for spelling, cant spell wont spell and don't believe what predictive text tells you either.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:17 am

From here, London is north of me, but also 125 miles East!
Tim V

jon price

Postby jon price » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:19 am

As an LNWR man I can unequivocally say that Crewe is in the Northern Division.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:29 am

Although very pleased that a Spring(ish) show will resume, I think you're pushing things a bit calling it Scalefour North. Why not just call it Scalefour Crewe then we will all go happily. It is not far short of where I will probably stay for Scaleforum. The Geordies will probably need an overnight stay so it's the same for them as going to the main show.

DaveB

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:06 pm

davebradwell wrote:I think you're pushing things a bit calling it Scalefour North. Why not just call it Scalefour Crewe then we will all go happily.

Excellent suggestion, Dave.

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:27 pm

Will L wrote:
John Donnelly wrote:... As I said, the Geordie in me thinks that I live in the 'north' which Crewe certainly isn't...

A point of view thing I agree, but would you accept Manchester as North?

I accept that, geographically, it is in the northern half of England but it is very much in the south of the north for me.

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:20 pm

MarcD wrote:I suppose if you live in "the south" then anything above Watford is "the north" as the sign on the M1 states clearly.

For a Geordie Friends, the Hatfield and the North signs on the A1 are probably more appropriate. We lived in Hatfield for a while so perhaps that coloured wife opinions.

Those were the days, the Hawker Siddeley club layout (Havil Junction), Denis Moor's trees and the antics of the Chiltern MRA

Hay ho

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:31 pm

WHATS IN A NAME?

Instead of fretting about what its called or how many miles away it is, how about thanking Richard and the Crewe Area Group for stepping up to organise the show for us all?

I am sure the Crewe group will deliver an excellent weekend for us all to enjoy and i expect members to give it the support that all the efforts of organising it deserve.

Thank you Crewe AG.

See you all there.

Steve
Steve Carter

Noel

Postby Noel » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:35 pm

Interesting to see that the debate was entirely about England, with no mention of Scotland!
Regards
Noel

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:57 pm

Living half way up Scotland as I do, Crewe is very much in the deep south of this island. So why call it north when it isn't? Dave's suggestion was practical and accurate and avoids the Anglocentricity that might otherwise be indicated.

DT

John Donnelly
Web Team

Postby John Donnelly » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:49 pm

Steve Carter wrote:WHATS IN A NAME?

Instead of fretting about what its called or how many miles away it is, how about thanking Richard and the Crewe Area Group for stepping up to organise the show for us all?

I am sure the Crewe group will deliver an excellent weekend for us all to enjoy and i expect members to give it the support that all the efforts of organising it deserve.

Thank you Crewe AG.

See you all there.

Steve

You are of course, correct, my original comment was meant to be somewhat tongue in cheek hence the :mrgreen: at the end...

Return to “Crewe (CAG)”