Crewe Area Group - online meetings

Moderator: Will L

Will L

Crewe Area Group - online meetings

Postby Will L » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Sunday 8/1/2020

As it has become clear that it will be a while before we are able to start face to face meetings again, CAG has at last bitten the bullet and gone Virtual.

Using Zoom we held our first online meeting in our traditional meeting slot (14:00 on the first Sunday of the month) and it was well received. 8 members attended the meeting, although one had technical issues and had to retire from the fray early. The remaining 7 had a good catch up chat which lasted comfortably for 2 1/2 hours despite the organiser (wonder who that was) having shamefully failed to provide an agenda.

It was sad not to have Ron Dickinson with us as, regrettably, he reached his final destination on the 10th of June. Given the times, we were not able to attend the funeral on mass but fortunately it was possible for us to be represented. Fittingly, Ron had asked that any donations in his memory should go to the LMS Patriot Projects. Therefor we will have our own reasons for remembrance when we get to see the loco in action. Perhaps we should get a rivet suitably inscribed! Ron was a fine modeller and a good friend, we will miss him.

Our Zoom talk ranged over many topics, some even related to model railways. Zoom often gives you unexpected insights into other people’s homes, it amazing how may choose to sit in front of a bookcase, but those who caught up with Jeremy in his workshop during the Virtual Scaleforum will recognise where we found him. We had the advantage of being able to talk to him direct and discuss the turning techniques he has been so ably describing elsewhere on the forum. He told us how many locos he thinks he has produced over the years, and it does rather put my spending over 5 years to produce two to shame. When not discussing the availability of replacement irons for Antex soldering stations or the merits of the wire wool style of soldering iron bit cleaners. we did consider, among other things, the best way to model boiler bands and whether the chimney on one of my Buckjumpers was on strait (it is, whatever it looks like in the photograph). I think we enjoyed ourselves.

The upshot is that we are now planning to make this a regular event. There will be changes, given that there will be no need to drive anywhere, the meetings times will change, probably becoming an evening event and not necessarily on a Sunday. It was also agreed that we should publicise these events here and say we would be happy to include others, who live in our area or have other connections to the group, who would like to attend in future. Anybody who would like to take up this invite should send me a PM either over the forum or by email on Crewe@Scalefour.org

Will L

Crewe Area Group - online meetings 13/12/2020

Postby Will L » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Monday 13th December 2020

Nine of the Crewe Area Group, including a past member living in Aberdeen (Peter H) and potential new member (Peter M) enjoyed a good Zoom session last Monday night.

Given his new railway room is now available, David B has been in layout planning mode. He talked through his thinking on fiddle yards. This included the interesting discovery of just how much length is needed for the points to connect together a fan of 12 fiddle yard sidings. This has caused him to reconsider exactly how his fiddle yard was going to work, and a number of possibilities were discussed. They are influenced by the fact that his prototype sits at the bottom of a bank which has a significant affect on the train formations going up the bank as compared to those which come down. Hopefully the whole experience has advanced his thinking.

After the intermission caused by our dependence on a Free Zoom account, the rest of the meeting discussed a variety of topics such as the various sorts of self-etch primer; the advantages of modelling in nickel silver rather than brass, the desirability and possibility of modelling inside valve gear; and even an apparent historic variation in cut ply sleeper lengths. However, I was involved in a rather poorly timed (not my choice) phone call discussing (successfully) a consumer issue. Hence I wasn’t necessarily taking a lot of notice, missed a few things and certainly can't do justice to what was discussed. I wasn’t the only one as Jeremy took a stores phone order during the meeting.

The meeting was enjoyed by all, as far as I can tell, and we will continue to hold monthly meetings on the second Monday each month at 19:30. Anybody who feels they might like to be a member of the Crewe Area Group, should contact me.

Will L

Re: Crewe Area Group - online meetings - 11/1/2021

Postby Will L » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:05 pm

Zoom Meeting 11/1/2021

Our 3rd Zoom meeting was held on Monday 11th of January at 19:30. We had a good attendance of 8 members, and we were pleased to welcome the societies new webmaster as a member.

As we hadn't held an AGM for a couple of years, we took the opportunity to rectify this omission. This took about half an hour and confirmed the status quo, and that we will continue with the Zoom meetings possibly even beyond the Covid crisis.

Once we had put the formal AGM process to bed, David B continued with his description of the timetable planning he is going through for his Cradley Heath layout proposal. A topic we covered last time. I say proposal because, while the room to contain it now exist, the layout itself is still in the planning stage. David had provided an extract from the timetable he was generating from a copy of the working timetable he had acquired. We were able to share this on line so people could see exactly what he was talking about. It seemed those watching found this rather more interesting than David thought it was.

Having demonstrated my ability to share images over Zoom, Peter H passed on pictures of a good array of recently built wagons, and or his layout. Unseen by any of us before as they are resident in Aberdeen. The wagons, mostly of L&Y stock contained a number of fruit wagons. This at first seemed odd, particularly to one whose interests lie to the great east, as the L&Y was not a significantly agricultural railway. It would appear that, due to some quirk of the L&Y telegraph code book, fruit wagons seemed to be indistinguishable from your average open wagon, complete with end doors, in one case, at both ends.

Among other things, we also discussed the correspondence there has been recently on the forum relating to the next generation of ready to run or kit built point work in P4, and by extension whether the society might possibly have a role in funding their development. Having Jeremy on hand was useful, as he has as clear an understanding as anybody of the issues surrounding the existing current crop of point kits, and the committees current thinking. He was a useful counterbalance to some of the ideas express on the forum.

So as Zoom was about to terminate our third session, we said good night and prepared to meet again on Monday 8th February.

Return to “Crewe (CAG)”