Meeting Reports 2010

Moderator: Will L

Will L

Meeting Reports 2010

Postby Will L » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Meeting Jan 10th 2010

Doing it for money

Despite the best winter snow effects for years and the widely spread nature of our membership, we had a good turn out at member Adrian Prescott's home. Adrian is one of those who makes a living from our hobby, building locos and other stock to order. So, as well as providing the customary number of brews and a very nice slab of fruitcake, Adrian talked us through the trials, tribulations and pleasures of being a professional model maker.

Adrian builds in a variety of scales and gauges. He has a fund of stories about things that have, and haven't, worked, and where kit manufactures do, and don't, make his life easier. One notable item on his workbench was an O gauge loco. This had a turned brass boiler. To a 4mm man this was big and heavy, having walls about 4 mm thick in places. My 50w soldering iron suddenly paled into insignificance. Thoughts about how you might adapt a thermionic lance to do soldering did stray through the mind, but Adrian explained that he was using a blow torch.

He is an adept painter too, and spent some time explaining his technique with pen, brush and do it yourself transfers.

He was happy to answer all our questions and was very open about what his services cost. As I am somebody who gets his pleasure from growing his own, it has never occurred to me just how much people are willing to pay to have the job done for them. Even then, if I ever think of turning pro I will have to speed up a bit if I want to make a living at it.

Clearly a tidy man, Adrian's workshop is pictured below and is a fitting compliment to the rest of his home.
Jan 2010 meeting.jpg

In addition to the main entertainment, various other modelling projects were discussed and displayed. We also went over our arrangement for Knutsford's next two outings, at Stafford and Scale 4 North.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will L

Re: Meeting 2nd/3rd Feb

Postby Will L » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:33 pm

The Stafford Show

As we were due to take Knutsford East Junction to the Stafford show, we decided this would be our February Meeting.

It was a good show, the organises can be congratulated for their efforts. Judging by the number of visitors visible to us on the other side of the barrier they may well be happy with attendance figures too. We liked the venue, the Staffordshire County Show Ground, which had some significant plus points, see below, was pleasantly warm on a cool day, had plenty of space for lots of layouts and nice wide aisles.

To illustrate our weekend, here comes some pictures with appropriate captions. For some reason these pictures get trimmed down the right and side by the forums software, but if you click on the picture you get a bigger unclipped version.

Staf 1.jpg

staf 5.jpg

staf 7.jpg

staf 6.jpg

Staf 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will L

Meeting 14th March 2010

Postby Will L » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Doing Business At Tony's

This months meeting was held at Tony M's in darkest Staffordshire. There was a good turn out with 10 members, perhaps because this was the first proper meeting for a couple of months. It was a business meeting rather than anything else, and in addition to consuming tea/coffee and choclate biscuits we were able to have a useful discussion about a number of items.

Firstly there was the cornucopia of exhibition invites Knutsford East attracted at the Stafford show last month. These should keep us busy well into 2012.

Then we discussed possible extensions to the layout which may or may not grace some of these future shows, it is possible the layout will get longer. Then we moved on to modifications for the fiddle yard boards to give a bit more room, see the Stafford show posting above, and the need to add a few more fiddle yard cassettes.

Then we considered the program for the next few months, and, when David comes up with the promised newsletter, I will publish the salient features under Next Meetings on here.

Finally we discussed the details of our trip to see Mr Waterman's wonderful 0 Gauge railway at the end of this month, and the arrangements for taking Knutsford to Scalefour North In April. For those that haven't worked it out, the publicity poster for this years show features Knutsford's track work and John S's Pom-pom last seen in MRJ 194.

These postings are normally illustrated by an appropriate picture or two, but I regret this meeting turned out not to be that photogenic. I did try, but as far too many members gave the impression of being asleep in Tony's comfortable arm chairs, or in one case a not quite so comfortable dining chair, that I decided to give pictures a miss this month.

Will L

Meeting Report 27th March

Postby Will L » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Visiting Mr Waterman

For some time we have been trying to arrange a visit to Pete Waterman's railway which lives in a barn in the wilds of Cheshire. Having exercised our contacts through the Manchester club we managed to get a date in late March. Not our normal monthly meeting date, but we still had a good turn out of 10 members.

waterman 1.jpg

waterman 5..jpg

waterman 3.jpg

waterman 2.jpg

A good day was had by all and we would like to thank Pete for his hospitality.

Will L

Meeting April 17/18th

Postby Will L » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Knutsford Does Scalefour North

Not really a meeting, but certainly an Area Group event, it was a great pleasure to take Knutsford out to Wakefield. We felt this was a really good show, and a fine opportunity to pick up those special little bits and pieces that the great trade support we get at this event makes available. However, the bill in my pocket suggests that the bits I picked up weren't all that little. One thing I learned was that the lady behind the stand at Eileen's (not Eileen these days of course) is a trained first aider and did a very good job of patching up my finger when I'd stuck my scalpel significantly further in than usual.

An innovation this year was that the traditional Saturday night dinner was held in "The Wetherby Whaler", a rather up market chippy. The food, you can guess what it was, was excellent of its type and a pleasant evening seemed to be had by all. Conveniently it was an easy walk from the hotel by the road, and only half that distance if you discovered the short cut via the canal.

The layouts on view were to my mind excellent, though it was a bit of a surprise to find that Knutsford (just post war but before BR) was the close-est thing to modern image on view. Unless, that is, you count the Judith Edge stand. Our thanks are due to the organising team for another job well done, and for the invite!

A few more annotated pictures of Knutsford follow, I'm sure more pictures of the rest of the show will appear else where quite soon.

sc4n 1.jpg

sf4n 2.jpg

sfn 4.jpg

Click to See Matters Arising

Will L

Re: Meeting 9th May

Postby Will L » Fri May 14, 2010 11:44 am

A Trip on the Cushions

For our May Meeting David through open his home to the eight other members who turned up. It was a particular pleasure to see Peter Heald there. These days he is normally to be found well north of the boarder where the oil comes from but he joined us for the day while he was south visiting old haunts. The meeting had no set theme but we did have good company, comfortable chairs, hot and cold running drinks, chocolate biscuits and a number of things to cogitate over. What more could one ask

First of all Tony showed us a Templot plan of his proposed layout based on Buxton, but including within it the triangular junction that is the bulk of the existing Ambergate layout that he acquired and converted to P4 last year. For previous stories about Ambergate see here and here. This new plan more than doubles the layout area of Ambergate and includes at least one more triangular junction, or possibly more, its hard to tell.

Two things sprang to mind. The first was relief that Tony proposes the use of DCC. Getting the right polarity of current to all the right places on interconnected triangular double junctions in DC sounds just a mite tricky. The existing electronics of Ambergate already makes your head hurt just thinking about it, and just what is that other button for. The second thought was to remember Martin Goodall's assertion, else where on the S4Webforum, that it might be as quick to draw a layout manually than learn and use Templot. Sorry Martin but I just don't believe you were considering plans of this size. Not to mention exactly what would happen when you'd drawn all the way round and found the ends didn't quite meet without the last curve exceeding your minimum radius; or if it turned out that the builder had managed to build the layout room an inch or so narrower than spec.

Anyway we wish you well Tony and we await progress with interest.

After that we had a discussion about current plans to further extend Knutsford. We were in general agreement we should go ahead, though the absolute final decision awaits a plan for the new bit from Dick, who I suspect may well use paper and pencil. Expect to see the results in a couple of yaers time.

We discussed CAG supporting the society by manning the P4 Stand at the Manchester show in the autumn. This also met with general approval.

Then various other discussions broke out. At our end of the room we spent some time trying to diagnose why the chassis for an L&Y 2-4-2T belonging to Peter appeared to be binding slightly when running in one direction and not when running the other way. Various possibilities were aired, including noting that these were Sharman wheels, and was Peter absolutely certain all the crank pins where in the right place and at a true right angle to the wheel face. One solution was not much in favour, that is reaming the holes in the conrods out a bit till it runs OK. I'm afraid it is not in the nature of the CAG to be happy with remedies like this. It did all lead to a discussion about quartering angles which I will not take further here as I quite like the idea of airing it else where on the forum.

By now the five o'clock meeting close time was well past, and as a feature of parking at David's house is the Last In First Out nature of his drive, it was time for me to go home. For all I know there rest of them are still there enjoying the crack.

Will L

Re: Meeting report for June 13th 2010

Postby Will L » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Venturing Between the Frames

Our June meeting was held at Phil R's house in Stoke on Trent. This is the first time we have been to Phil's, as far as I'm aware. Despite him providing accurate directions at least two of us managed to get ourselves conclusively lost, despite the rout being "obvious" when you know it. None the less, 11 members were there in good time to enjoy a meeting who's theme was "Inside Valve Gear". As well as a sufficiency of seats and the necessary floor space, Phil provided the brews, chocolate biscuits, and this above and beyond the call of duty, cup cakes. Our thanks are due to him for his hospitality.

Pursuant on our theme, quite a range of inside valve gear was on display. Much of this had a GWR flavour, coming, as it did, from David B's collection, but we also had a mostly completed Brassmasters 4F by John S, and a separate and fully functional driving axle assembly built by Tony S from the Brassmasters etch. The models presented included some with cosmetic and some with working gear, though none of it was reversible! There was even one with a fully featured crank Axel. Much inspection of models both static and in motion led to the view that what ever you did some compromises would be necessary, and the question, why would you want to get into this at all?

The answers seemed to go something like this
1. Because it's there. I am quite persuaded by this argument in general, various bits of my loco's tend to fit with this philosophy, but it was quite clear that on some prototypes the inside gear was all but invisible. The High level pannier chassis springs to mind. Does make you wonder why we fail to model the inside of, say, the smoke box. This discussion led in turn to a little contra concern from Dick about things that are visible but are often poorly represented. He had ash-pans in mind.

2. Because on some Loco's there is a yawning great gap between the frames that does need something in it. Only too true I'm afraid though there are graduations between this and the previous argument. But then you get into the discussion as to whether the gear should be dummy or seen to be working, even if not reversible.

3. Working inside gear really requires a real crank axle which is engineering beyond the kitchen table. So I, at least, wont be going there. The Brassmaster gear cheats a bit and uses eccentrics. The resultant lump of assorted bits on the driving axle left you wondering if the gear would allow full movement of a sprung/compensated suspension, presumably the theoretical answer is yes.

4. Visible dummy gear can be disappointingly static, but possibly not significantly worse than outside valve gear in permanent mid gear and valve spindles which are either stationary or going the wrong way. It does appear to be possible to arrange a U shaped hole through the middle of that mass of detail that allows springing or compensation to work.

june 4f.jpg

june gear.jpg

Intermingled with out themed discussion was further talk about the proposed Knutsford extension. Dick had a pencil sketch of the proposal. Among its features will be a freight loop and a private siding including a further double set of trap points which should amuse those interested in the finer points of track work construction.

Future meetings also got further consideration. Firstly we agreed that, given good weather, our July meeting will be thrown open to our WAGs (this is Cheshire!) and will include a cream tea. Secondly Adrian went over what he planed to cover in his painting and lining session in August. He is expecting to allow us hands on experience and so he wants us to turn up with prepared samples to work with. It all sounds like fun, and just shows you what a good idea area groups can be.

Will L

Meeting Sunday 11th July 20019

Postby Will L » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:05 pm

Crewe Cream Cakes and Chat

With a lovely sunny day to go at, our July garden meeting at chez Tony went ahead as planned. We had had our eyes on the clear skies all week, could this last. As the weekend dawned with sunshine and good forecasts, we were able to pass the good news to the wags. Yes they were invited to our meeting and there would be cream scones for tea!

p4 july 10 - 1.jpg

Well I hope the ladies did enjoy the day, which did tend to exhibit an Us and Them tendency. Perhaps two gazebos spaced out across the lawn had that affect, but the shade was very welcome. We are English dam it. At least my own wife did seem to have had an enjoyable afternoon, but I’m afraid this report is going to be silent on what the ladies found to talked about.

p4 july 10 -2.jpg

Can’t say the gentleman’s table went too deeply into discussing railway modelling either, but we did get to go over the arrangements for the next couple of meetings. Then David was able to show off his own latest purchase. This was the Expo Tools Portable Spray Booth, which was interesting, particularly as our August meeting at Adrian’s will be a painting and lining teach in. See our July/August meetings posting else where. We were also able to discuss our next trip away which will be on the 24th July, when we will be paying a return visit to John Brighton’s train set in Sheffield.

Mostly though, we enjoyed the strawberry and cream scones, which were excellent, and eaten in a very pleasant setting. For both the scones and the setting we owe Alison and Tony a big vote of thanks.

So what was that sitting in the middle of the table?

p4 july 10 - 3.jpg

Will L

Meeting Saturday 24 July

Postby Will L » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 pm

A first class return trip to Brighton.

You may remember that last year we had a very enjoyable outing to Sheffield to see and play with John Brighton’s Millhouses. Clearly we didn’t disgrace ourselves too badly last time, as we were invited to return, and the convenient date was 24th July. So 6 of us duly went, and another enjoyable day was spent. I’m not going to waist new words on describing things I documented last time, but, if you want the background on our previous visit and Millhouses itself, you can read all about it by clicking here.

It seems that John has recently completed a significant rewire to improve something technical in his DCC set up. This was apparently successful as the electronics worked in the impeccable way with which we have become accustomed. However, much of the stock had not been run for some months while the electrical upgrade was in progress. So, after a brief flirtation with John’s timetable, we fell to shaking down the assembled trains to find the ones which had developed the need for attention over the months of idleness, and those that still worked with the accustomed perfection. To be honest I think John found this a little frustrating, but we had soon identified those things that required his attentions and started running an intensive service with those that remained trouble free.

Millhouses is a big layout, Tony M and I rapidly decided that running one train on each of the up and down goods roads that we were controlling was not challenging enough. As with DCC it is perfectly possible to run more than one train on one track, we both soon had two trains circulating. Without outside interference this wasn’t to hard to achieve, but you have to take into account the fact that David and Don were happily shunting the yard, which means crossing the running roads every now and again. So the running line signals, set by the station signal man, weren’t always clear. It took us a while to work out which of the numerous buttons on the controller allowed us to switch control back and forth between our two trains reliably and quickly. I’m afraid several SPADs were recorded, but fortunately nothing worse than hurt pride occurred as a consequence.

CAG July 10 Brighton 1.jpg

CAG July 10 Brighton 2.jpg

CAG July 10 Brighton 3.jpg

Our thanks to John and his family for making us welcome, again, and providing a happy afternoons entertainment. What was that about another invite?

Hang on, doesn’t that mean we’ve had two July meetings? Well, if the invite is good enough, these things happen.

Will L

Meeting 8th August 2010

Postby Will L » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:47 am

Paint your wagon, coach, loco what ever.

For various reasons I was unable to attend our meeting on the 8th. Fortunately Don Roland has provided a write up and John Sherratt some interesting photos for me to play with. I'll let Don tell you all about it.

"August's meeting on Sunday 8th was something totally different when Adrian Prescott invited us to his home for a full-day workshop on painting and lining, preceded, most professionally, by comprehensive notes.

The morning was devoted to the mysteries of spray painting covering equipment, materials and techniques. It was well received, so much so that one member was still working away on one of his models well into the afternoon session.

This latter covered lining, for which numerous bow pens saw the unaccustomed light of day, some of them being used on Trevor Charlton carriage sides brought out especially for the occasion.

Amidst all the constant stream of hints and advice, the one which stood out so far as the writer is concerned was Adrian's rule of not rushing any painting job; after each stage it is put aside under a cover to harden. This certainly means a longer time in the workshop but gives a much more professional finish.

It was a very enjoyable and worthwhile day and our thanks go to Adrian and Lesley for their efforts and forbearance."

Aug meeting 3.jpg

Aug meeting 4.jpg

Aug meeting 2 .jpg

Aug meeting 1 .jpg

Will L

Meeting Sunday 12th November

Postby Will L » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:44 pm

A little light interlocking

This months meeting was hastily rearranged to be at Don’s house, when we discovered that the Cycling Tour of Britain was going to make it tricky to get to the original venue at Tony M’s house. Never the less 7 members managed to find the Whitchurch area, and we all sat down to what turned out to be a very interesting meeting. There would have been more of us but our honoured area group organiser found he had been unavoidably detained, by the option to see green engines at the at Llangollen Railway Gala, and particularly the City of Truro I gather.

For those who did manage to be at the right place at the right time, our main event was from Tony M. He started by giving us a run down on the layout and signalling of Windermere station. He has spend a considerable time and effort in the past on modelling this station, and the most significant reminder/remainder is the fully locked lever frame he built for the layout. This was a substantial item, with levers you could get your fingers round, and a full mechanical interlocking for which the locking bars were made up from 3/8 by 1/8 steel strip. We all had fun working out which leavers you could pull, when, and seeing how the locking bars interacted so as to implement the locking logic. Apart from agreeing that just thinking about locking was hard on the brain, for some reason the discussion which followed settled down on the cacophony of bells a big layout, with multiple signal boxes, would generate, if you insisted on doing the signalling properly.

We also had the first showing of the promised new baseboard for Knutsford. Dick has assembled the basic framework and was asking for volunteers for the various tasks needed to complete it. He quickly found two volunteers (Ron and I) for the fairly small amount of P&C required and one more (Tony) for the plain track work. Phil was in line for the additional signalling work. Adrian volunteer to do work on forestation and yours truly accepted that he would probably end up sticking all the grass down, again. The deadline for the first showing is just over a year away so we probably do need to get on with things. I suspect that the need for more tasks and additional volunteers will quickly become apparent. My apologies if I’ve left anybody out.

Adrian showed us one of his latest commissions. Something pre-grouping from south of the river, so you won’t expect me to remember exactly what it was will you. Adrian used this to illustrate a little teach-in on the best way to assemble loco brake gear so you can take it off when ever necessary. As always from Adrian, a very neat bit of modelling.

Don also had a loco set up and ready to run using battery power and radio control, but in among all the other things that were happening, somehow we never managed to get to see it go.

I must apologise for my failure to remember to take my camera, so, as John S was not with us either, there no photos of the day. Our thanks are due to Don for providing a venue at short notice, to say nothing of the normal cornucopia of hot drinks and chocolate biscuits.

The next meeting is at my place in down town Holmes Chapel on the second Sunday in October. I plan to take everybody through the theory and practice of CSB’s. But before that the Crewe Area Group will be manning the Society stand at the Manchester show on October 2nd and 3rd. We look forward to seeing you there.

Will L

Meeting Reports 2nd/3rd October 2010

Postby Will L » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Standing at the Manchester Show

Not really a meeting, but certainly an area Group event. We spent the Manchester show weekend manning what was supposed to be the Scalefour Stand. Somehow the real thing hadn't made it to Manchester so we had to make do with a table, although it did do the job and was at least covered by a cloth of the appropriate colour. The northern version of the stand was also there, right across the corridor, a sort of pincer attack it was suggested. This stand was manned by those stalwart demonstrators from the Wirral Fine Scale Modellers who spent much of the weekend converting things to P4. I did note one 08 which seemed to be putting up spirited resistance!

Despite the disappointment of being standless, different small teams manned the society table on each of the two days of the show. I'm not sure that we added materially to the membership of the society, certainly not on the day I was there, but we did form a focus where Society Members could stop and feel they belonged. Not only that, we did pretty well as a surrogate society sale stand, disposing of a steady stream of copies of St Merryn, not to mention the only available copy of the Alex Jackson book and a number of Craig Welsh's 9' wheelbase wooden wagon underframe/brakes etchs. This was opportune as Craig himself was busy demonstrating his etch just round the corner on the official Manchester Club demo stand (organised by a CAG member). Jeremy the stores (another CAG member) was there to, just across the corridor. He was not on official duty, instead he was doing his own thing selling pictures. Happily he had stock of the etches about his person.

Man show 10.jpg

Despite the presence of the alternative versions of the Scalefour stands, the was an EM gauge society benefit flavour to this years Manchester show. First impression was that every other layout bore their logo. Non the less, all seemed satisfied that the weekend went well and there was a suggestion that manning the scocity stand and Manchester could become a regular commitment for CAG. A sentiment I would share were it not for the fact that Knutsford will be appearing at the Manchester show next year. While this will make sure the society logo is on view in the layout hall, we may have other things we should be doing!

Also see Matters Arising entry re another CAG success story at the show

Will L

Meeting Reports 10th October

Postby Will L » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:30 pm

To CSB or not to CSB

This was the proper October meeting. As several regulars were unable to attend, it was a slightly smaller group than usual (7) who met at my house in Homes Chapel. The theme of the day was CSBs. Having gone on at great length on this forum about the things, it seemed only appropriate that I should explain myself to the CAG membership who, I regret to say, are not all regular subscribers to these pages.

So I gave them all a potted version of my ramblings on the subject of CSBs which you can see at interminable length here. This also explains what CSBs are, if you don't already know. I was able to show them the current state of the J10 chassis which has featured largely in this epic and talk over the intrinsics of the fulcrum point calculating spread sheet. We also had the opportunity to see a couple of Tony's Loco's in course of production and "correctly" fitted with CSB's.

At some point the conversation began to stray from the hows of CSB fitting and started to consider the question of how tolerant out stock should be to changes in rail cant. That is the deliberately introduced twist in the track you get at the start and end of sections of super elevation, and the accidentally induced twist that are often the cause of otherwise unexplained derailments. It was suggested that we should specify the amount of track twist out stock would tolerate, in the same way as we specify other aspects of our stocks performance, such as the minimum radius it would negotiate. Then having decided what we thought the minimum tolerance should be, what we needed was a test track with a known amount of deliberate twist which would show it the stock met the spec. I'm not going to say any more here as this may well become a fertile source of discussion else where within the forum.

In addition to the main theme, the meeting also took time to go over a number of other topics.

We discussed our manning of the Society stand at the Manchester show, details of which appear in the previous post.

The bare bones of the extension board for Knutsford was on show. We want to have this ready for next yaers Manchester exhibition. We talked through some of the jobs to be done and who would be doing them.

We talked over the details of Knutsford's appearance at the Huddersfield show at the end of October and in particular solved the question of how we were going to get it there.

Finally we settled the details for the next meeting in November. This is our, now traditional, pre Christmas lunchtime bash at the Crewe arms to which the wags are invited.

Once 5pm arrived, having talked, drunk tea or coffee and eaten chocolate biscuits, we all went our separate ways. Leaving me to contemplate if I should build some twist into my existing test track, and to polish off the rest of the biscuits!

Will L

Meeting Reports 30th/31st October

Postby Will L » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 pm

"Hand of God" at the Huddersfield Show

OK not really a meeting , more of an outing while Knutsford flew the S4 flag at the Huddersfield show.

A very pleasant show staged over three floors, as befits a town that is more vertical than horizontal, in the Holmfirth civic centre. Knutsford's description in there publicity material was, shall we say, not the normal story, but no prizes for spotting the mistakes deliberate or otherwise.

At the show were a few things you don't see every day.

The first was a loco with working valve gear that was definitely not frozen in mid gear. This was on the host clubs radio controlled 16mm narrow gauge live steam, so perhaps it was just as well the valve gear was working.

The second was the layout that won "best in show" by virtue of the extensive and complex guided bus and trolley layout which occupied more visible space than the railway. It was fun to watch and, I suspect, a challenge to drive.

The final was the photo that follows. I was trying to get an atmospheric, through the bridge arch, photo and accidentally captured this image of the "Hands of god" in action. Well we do use three link couplings.
HS-hog.jpg

Will L

Meeting Sunday 7th November 2010

Postby Will L » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:35 pm

It’s how many days to Xmas?

The now traditional Crewe Area Group's pre Christmas lunch took place, as tradition dictates, in the refined surroundings of the Crewe Arms hotel, were you can depend on appropriate railway noises off, generally from trains using Platforms 1 and 5. There was a fine turn out, with wives and significant others we totalled 21. We are all well(?) documented in the photo that follow, that is, apart from John who somehow always managed to be behind the Camera. Something to do with taking the pictures I expect. A pleasant four courses of Sunday lunch, counting coffee, was enjoyed by all. Clearly so because, as we discussed our program for the next few months, there was a demand from the floor that tradition should be fully honoured by a repeat performance next year.

nov meeting.jpg

Once the formalities were over, lunch eaten and group organiser David has had his say, the gentlemen tended to huddle into groups to discuss railways in one form or another. Our ladies, who are getting to know each other quite well these days, also formed a huddle and chatted. Somehow I doubt their conversation was that railway orientated, but I am prepared to be corrected on that point. Then, before you know it, it's time to go home and eat tea.

Next month, being really close to Christmas we will be, as again tradition dictates, eating mince pies at Tony's. After that completing the extension board for Knutsford beckons.

Will L

Meeting Sunday December 12th

Postby Will L » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Pre Christmas Minced Pie Fest

Another CAG tradition was fully honoured at our December Meeting, which was held at Tony W’s and mostly involved consuming mince pies. Various events, seasonal and otherwise, including the Wigan show, ensured our numbers were perhaps a little more select than usual, but none the less there were still 8 of us to enjoy the occasion. At least the slightly reduced numbers ensured we all got two mince pies each.

Typically this meeting would be our AGM, but as area organiser David was busy doing family things a long long way away, we have held the AGM over until next time.

In the absence of a formal agenda we discussed many topics, most of which, it turns out, proved to be not terribly memorable. Equally unmemorable it seems is the society gravity back to back gauge. I took along a sample made up in accordance with the instructions, and was surprised to find that nobody there could identify what it was or willing to guess what you might do with such a thing.
dec meet gg.jpg

What was memorable was the pre production samples of the etches for the Robinson GCR Class 8 / LNER B5 kit ex editor John B’s is producing, and that he had brought along for our edification and delight. The loco Chassis and the Tender etches were available for inspection and very impressive they were too. To hark back to the theme of an earlier meeting, this loco chassis features inside valve gear.

One final thing of interest was the photo of the Crewe Area Group which was brought along to the meeting and is reproduced below. The thing about this photo is that it dates from the seventies. I understand that there is one member who spans the 30 plus years between then and now. No prizes, but it would be interesting to know how many of those who appear in the photo, you can identify now. This is open to everybody, come on lets hear from you.
crewe area group 70s.jpg

Our next meeting, on January 9th, will be the AGM but we will also be starting work on the track for Knutsford’s new section.

Return to “Crewe (CAG)”