Eight group members were present for this year’s AGM held in Tony M’s memorable railway room. As there is quite a bit more railway in the room than there was last the seating arrangement were interesting.
The business of the day was soon underway and started very much in the pattern of previous year’s.
- A review of last year’s activities
- A review of our finances leading to setting this year’s sub
- Asking for ideas for venues and events for the coming year
- The elections of offices . It is at this point that previous years patterns broke down. David B who has been Area Group Organiser/Group Secretary for a long time (13 years) made it clear that we had twisted his arm for long enough and it was time for somebody else to take up the mantel. So a new Area Group Organise is required. We also decided that, as Knutsford was being retired and not being replaced for the moment, the position of layout Supremo was no longer relevant. I at least was retained as group blogger, a largely self-appointed role anyway.
- The future of Knutsford was discussed. Its history means that its ownership isn’t entirely strait forward. The feeling of the meeting was that if at all possible and if a new owner/keeper could be found, it should be kept together and that we were keen that the ownership issues shouldn’t prevent this.
- In the absence of a group layout, the idea was suggested that we should have a test track which could be made available at meetings.
- We also discussed the possibility of modifying our meeting times. Being a widely spread group some members travel up to an hour to and from a meeting which, in the winter months, means driving home in the dark. Some of our older members now find this difficult so we are considering holding the winter meetings later morning/early afternoon.