CAG Meeting reports 2015

Moderator: Will L

Will L

CAG Meeting reports 2015

Postby Will L » Sun May 10, 2015 9:05 pm

2014 AGM March 8th 2015 part 1

Eight group members were present for this year’s AGM held in Tony M’s memorable railway room. As there is quite a bit more railway in the room than there was last the seating arrangement were interesting.

The business of the day was soon underway and started very much in the pattern of previous year’s.
  • A review of last year’s activities
  • A review of our finances leading to setting this year’s sub
  • Asking for ideas for venues and events for the coming year
  • The elections of offices . It is at this point that previous years patterns broke down. David B who has been Area Group Organiser/Group Secretary for a long time (13 years) made it clear that we had twisted his arm for long enough and it was time for somebody else to take up the mantel. So a new Area Group Organise is required. We also decided that, as Knutsford was being retired and not being replaced for the moment, the position of layout Supremo was no longer relevant. I at least was retained as group blogger, a largely self-appointed role anyway.
  • The future of Knutsford was discussed. Its history means that its ownership isn’t entirely strait forward. The feeling of the meeting was that if at all possible and if a new owner/keeper could be found, it should be kept together and that we were keen that the ownership issues shouldn’t prevent this.
  • In the absence of a group layout, the idea was suggested that we should have a test track which could be made available at meetings.
  • We also discussed the possibility of modifying our meeting times. Being a widely spread group some members travel up to an hour to and from a meeting which, in the winter months, means driving home in the dark. Some of our older members now find this difficult so we are considering holding the winter meetings later morning/early afternoon.
By now the desire to play with Tony’s railway was becoming too strong to resist so the loose ends apparent above were deferred for the next meeting.
2015 march.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Will L

CAG Meeting 12th April 2015 AGM Part 2

Postby Will L » Sun May 10, 2015 9:50 pm

7 members attended the meeting held chez moi. While we did manage to show off a few bits of current modelling, mostly we cleared up the loose ends from the AGM held last month.

Group Secretary.
Somebody has to do it and for some reason everybody kept on looking at me. So I thought it better to volunteer before things turned nasty. David B took pity on me and agreed to retain the duties of Treasurer. The suggestion that this was to avoid the need to hand over out funds is entirely unfounded but that didn't stop us saying it.

Possible meetings
We sorted out venues for every month this year, except August and October. Four possible outings were also discussed and various members delegated to see what could be done. You know who you are. Hopefully two at least will come to something and fill in the months for which nothing has yet been organised. A full list has been circulated to all members.

Layout Matters
We expect that Knutsford will be put up just once more as there is a need for it to be photographed for a promised magazine article. Several members expressed a wish to be involved with this, partly to take the load off Dick P, but also as one last opportunity to operate the layout.

Test Track
It seem there are at least 4 members who already have small test tracks that could meet the need and the group secretary (me) was tasked with trying to ensure one was available at all appropriate meetings. My own private short length of test track was produced for inspection and a J65 and a J69 put in an appearance.

Will L

CAG meeting 10th May 2015

Postby Will L » Tue May 12, 2015 8:34 pm

A visit to Don’s

This month’s meeting had two objectives and 7 members took advantage of the opportunities presented.

The first Objective was to give Don a chance to update us on his progress with wireless control systems. He was able to demonstrate a working version of a black five responding correctly to wireless commands. He was also able to impart the acquired wisdom that an etched brass tender body makes an effective Faraday cage, and he had to find an alternative location for the aerial from the wireless controller chip. It will be incorporated in the coal load in future.

Our second objective was to consider an offer from Don to make his test track a resource available for group meetings. This turned out to be quite a sophisticated item with built in power supply and controller. It has two separate tracks. One is strait end to end, while the other has two motorised points and an S-bend. Given Don’s concentration on wireless propulsion, a powered test track is no longer hugely relevant to him. With a bit of tender loving care it should prove a useful, if not particularly light, adjunct to group meetings. With a track plan a modicum more complex than a classic Inglenook, potential development under the SGW banner was considered, but only for a few moments.

Once the main objectives of the day had been met we enjoyed a good chin wag, covering all sorts of topics, both rail related and otherwise. Well it was just two days after a surprising election.

Next Meeting

Sunday 14th June again at Tony M’s. This will be the summer cream teas meeting, held in the open if the weather is with us. Partners welcome. Hopefully it will have warmed up a bit by next month.

Will L

Meeting 14th June 2015

Postby Will L » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:38 pm

The Cream Tea Special

A not very sunny day dawned for our annual cream teas meeting. None the less we had a good turnout of 9 member and 8 better halves, who took advantage of Tony M’s hospitality and particularly Denise’s culinary expertise in hosting the day and producing the necessary cream teas. The weather even allowed the consumption of said cream teas in comfort in the garden.
2015 june 2.jpg

Along with the cream scones there was a selection of cupcakes including some decorated, in accordance with Tony’s modelling preference, with a Black Five. Very tasty.
2015 june 3.jpg

Thanks for the photo John Sherratt. Regrettably the weather finally showed its true colours but not before we had made a very healthy dent in the fair provided, and then it was time for the gentleman to retired to the railway room, and the ladies to the conservatory.

In the railway room we were able to enjoy the advent of the second full circuit of the room. You will remember this is a very large room, and this second circuit takes a significantly different route through the Ambergate section.
2015 june 1.jpg

The train in the centre is following the new rout which winds across the centre of the room, while the train in the foreground is on the original circuit which sticks to the outside edge of the acres of baseboard Tony’s railway room now contains. On the old circuit is a Bachman 3F which is being converted by John S using a Brassmaster EasiChas. It circulated steadily for some time, running well, pulling a decent sized train and causing no problems. See it go here, again courtesy of John S.

The Crewe Area Group expects to be quite well represented at the AGM at the weekend. See you all there
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dcockling

Re: Meeting 14th June 2015

Postby dcockling » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Will L wrote:The Crewe Area Group expects to be quite well represented at the AGM at the weekend. See you all there.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

All the Best
Danny

Tor Giffard

Re: CAG Meeting reports 2015

Postby Tor Giffard » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:01 pm

Evenin' all,

Smashing outing to Geoff Kent/Roy Jackson's open day nr Gainsborough today....Blakeney, Black Lion Crossing and Retford all on exquisite display.....there was even a flypast by the Vulcan....nicely done guys....

Retford scenic section
P1010667.JPG

Black Lion Crossing 1958/59....based on the Wrexham area
P1010668.JPG

Blakeney....North Norfolk terminus
P1010670.JPG

The impressive flat crossing/junction on Retford
P1010675.JPG

P1010676.JPG

The maestro and the model....Geoff operating Black Lion Crossing
P1010683.JPG

WD heading north along the ECML on Retford
P1010687.JPG

Geoff's latest work on BLC is this superb footbridge....
P1010690.JPG

Dave
Last edited by Tor Giffard on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:18 am, edited 6 times in total.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Dave great photo's, I can pick Redford but other's I don't know. Could you please put some brief descriptions on each of the photos? :D
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi Doug,

Black Lion Crossing is Geoff's current 4mm EM gauge project, the layout just oozes inspired detail and features. The depth of knowledge/insight & enthusiasm contained within each aspect is blatant when engaging Geoff in conversation about the layout. This is then multiplied by the level of modelling skill which he brings to bear in each part of each creation....one cannot fail to be seriously impressed.

Here are a few more images of BLC from yesterday....
P1010679.JPG

P1010685.JPG

P1010678.JPG

P1010655.JPG

P1010654.JPG

Dave

DougN

Postby DougN » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:58 am

Thanks Dave, the descriptions make looking at the photos more understandable. I like the Black Lion crossing photos. It does certainly show what can be done. It makes my total of 30 minutes riveting a LNER group standard tender look inadequate for the weekend. Which was the first bit of modelling I had done in about 2 weeks.

looking at those photos gives me some enthusiasm to get on with some modelling. I have been trying to find the time to move the mobile modelling desk back onto the dinning table to do some modelling... this might make me do it tonight! :thumb
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Return to “Crewe (CAG)”