Does the Crewe Area Group know?

Moderator: Will L

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Does the Crewe Area Group know?

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:26 am

I had a small shock when my standing search on Ebay came up with "Knutsford East for sale" =:-0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Knutsford-Eas ... 0900241019?

Fortunately, clicking in the link shows that it was only the article in the Railway Modeller about it...

There's been a weird recent development on Ebay in the explosion of this this. A number of people are cutting up old magazines and selling individual pages. It strikes me as (a) a very expensive way to acquire a library of interesting articles, and (b) very unrewarding for the seller, as there must be a lot of work involved in cutting up the magazines neatly.

Still, perhaps it's a fund-raising opportunity for WillL and chums - sell off chunks of the real layout in 5mm slices, and retire on the proceeds...

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tim V

Re: Does the Crewe Area Group know?

Postby Tim V » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 am

Makes a mockery of the terms inside magazines:

"That it shall not without the written consent of the publishers be lent, resold, hired out or otherwise disposed of by way of trade at a price in excess of the recommended maximum price or in mutilated condition, or in any unauthorised cover, or affixed to as part of any publication or advertising matter whatsoever"

(from Railway Modeller August 2010, other magazines are available).
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Will L

Postby Will L » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:19 am

We do now!

Will

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:12 am

Flymo748 wrote:There's been a weird recent development on Ebay in the explosion of this this. A number of people are cutting up old magazines and selling individual pages.

Especially when a lot of preserved lines and some exhibitions will have a heap of old magazines for sale, normally for a few pence each. At least if you buy them from a preserved line you are helping to keep the organisation going.

Terry Bendall

Jonathan Hughes

Postby Jonathan Hughes » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Flymo748 wrote: There's been a weird recent development on Ebay in the explosion of this this. A number of people are cutting up old magazines and selling individual pages. It strikes me as (a) a very expensive way to acquire a library of interesting articles, and (b) very unrewarding for the seller, as there must be a lot of work involved in cutting up the magazines neatly.

I found one of my articles advertised similarly recently... very odd; slightly amusing, yet odd

wally

Postby wally » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:35 pm

The whole episode only goes to reinforce my views on the mentality of of a large number of both buyers and sellers on this facility.

Wally

Return to “Crewe (CAG)”