Knutsford East Junction lighting support and facia

Moderator: Will L

Steve Carter

Knutsford East Junction lighting support and facia

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi
I am planning a layout using three 1200mm x 800mm baseboards for the scenic section. The basebords will be supported, at a height from the floor to track bed of 1200mm, by a system that will use rectangular ally section legs.

I would like to know more about the lighting support and facia you use on your Group layout please (photo below taken at S4N in 2010) as this is the sort of thing I had in mind for my layout presentation.
S4N10_DC_20.jpg

Details such as materials used, sizes, lights, method of fixing, etc would be most welcome please.

Many thanks

Steve Carter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Carter

Will L

Re: Knutsford East Junction lighting support and facia

Postby Will L » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:01 am

Hi Steve

I'll give you some basic details here but the man you really need to talk to is Dick Petter. He designed and built our subframe and it is him who is pictured below looking, rightfully, pleased with himself and his creation at the Stafford show a year or so ago. I have spoken to him and he is happy to let you have the relevant details of his creation. Dick is not a registered user on this forum so I'll mail you his details off line. He is contactable by email but will prefer to revert to paper mail if you need any drawings etc.
knustford subframe.jpg

The picture shows that the legs and the gallows brackets the lighting unit hangs off are all built with square section steel tube, while the baseboards sit on the two deeper section rectangular rails that run the length of the subframe. All this metal work comes, I believe from B&Q. It is all held together by 6mm bolts, many of which go into tapped holes in the frame. The fascia panels are 6mm (?) ply. The outer two panels bolt on to the front of the legs, and the centre section bolt between the outer two and are also suspended from the baseboard support rail. The lighting unit is in 3 sections which bolt together and hangs from the 4 gallows brackets. These gallows brackets all bolt to the underside of the rails the baseboards sit on. The middle two having the upright at the back of the layout and the end two on the front.

This is the current situation, but the advent of an additional baseboard will mean it will all look different the next time you see it, with an additional lighting unit and gallows bracket, and with everything moved half a baseboard one way or the other.

The lighting is provided by neon strip lighting units sold to go under kitchen wall units. Two go in each lighting unit, so the six together give near continuous lighting along the length of the layout with good shadow free coverage. They have the advantage that they are made to daisy chain together so you can power the lot off one mains lead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Carter

Re: Knutsford East Junction lighting support and facia

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks Will

I've been away (work!!) and have now got your email so will be contacting Dick very soon.

Many thanks

Steve
Steve Carter

Return to “Crewe (CAG)”