Crewe Area Group News and Chat

Moderator: Will L

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Crewe Area Group News and Chat

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Thursday, 24 January 2008

The Crewe Area Group layout Knutsford East Junction will be on show again, this time at the Rochdale show on 2nd /3rd Feb. If you come and have a look you will discover that, like Burntisland, we’ve been growing, just not so much in our case. We’ve extended by just 2 feet and almost all of it went into the fiddle yards. For this you should blame our defensiveness about being limited to 4 coach trains on what was prototypically a 6 to 8 coach railway. Given the extra length, 5 coach trains are now possible - must build more coaches! In addition, the planned retreat of the scenic break at the station end will also maker it possible to see, without the use of a mirror, more of the wonderful detail Ron Dickinson put into the station ticket office. There is also some muffled talk of 8Fs and trains of hoppers heading for ICI Northwich full of limestone, but best not hold your breath for that one.

Those who scrutinise layouts from the ground up will also notice that our Dexion underpinnings have transmogrified into a custom built steel structure. This has kept Dick Petter p/gainfully employed cutting drilling and tapping many yards of square steel tube over the last few weeks. A thoroughly well engineered job it is too, just as you would expect from Dick. Our thanks to Tony Montgomery who now has his Dexion back, so that’s one less excuse for not progressing your own railway empire Tony.

P.S. Don Rowland is one of our members. He has been in hospital over the Christmas period, but is back home now. I’m sure I speak for all S4 members in sending him our best wishes for a quick and full recovery.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Will L

Re: Group News and Chat

Postby Will L » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:34 pm

I've been taking the opportunity to tidy up our meeting reports so they all come out in one topic and in date order. To do that I've had to repost a couple of them so I apologies if you find something you think you've seen before masquerading as a new post.

Will

Will L

2009 AGM

Postby Will L » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Were You There?

Well the Crewe Area Group were, or at least a fair percentage of us. In fact we could have represented quite a respectable pressure group had there been any contentious issues to vote over. But as there weren't the whole thing was over in just 24 minutes. This allowed us to spend more time watching the trains go by on Slattocks Junction (P4) or for the more broad(?) minded Dewsbury Midland (OO).

Will

Will L

Knutsford at Huddersfield Show

Postby Will L » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 am

This week end (October 30/31st) Knutsford East will be on tour at the Huddersfield Railway Modellers exhibition in Holmfirth. Do say high if your passing by.

Will

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 am

Hi Will, your link has a very slight error in it, i.e. an extra dot at the end, giving a 404 Not Found message.
It should be: http://www.huddsrailwaymodellers.co.uk/exhibitions.htm

Details are also on the Society Calendar

All the Best
Danny

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:53 am

Link sorted now.
Regards
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Thank you gentlemen.

Will

Will L

Knutsford on show at Liverpool, April 30th/May 1st

Postby Will L » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 am

As an alternative to celebrating the royal nuptials, we are taking Knutsford East to the Liverpool show the weekend of April 30th/May 1st. More details here which will fill you in on what traders to expect, but no further information on which other layouts will be there with us.

Hope to see some of you there.

Will

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Will,
Thanks for that, I have added it to the Calendar

All the Best
Danny

Will L

Postby Will L » Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Exhibition Diary

Knutsford East is currently booked to appear at the following exhibitions.

Manchester, 1st and 2nd October 2011
Hazel Grove 29th and 30th October 2011
Spalding 10th and 11th November 2012
Merseyside Last weekend in October 2013 – to be confirmed.

Will L

Extension to Knutsford East

Postby Will L » Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 pm

Extension to Knutsford East - Work Schedule

Dick has defined this list of Jobs we have to complete on the extension in time for the Manchester show.
This should help us all remember when we need to get our particular little jobs done.

May
Complete joinery alterations to transition and fiddle yard boards
Complete and install new bridge sections
Complete final section of embankment

June
Complete and lay all track. Requires trap and plain line yet to be fabricated
Primary wiring to main line: Operate on main line only
Create toe wall.
Bridge abutment and brickwork.
Complete fabrication of trestles and bridge deck.

July
Complete ballasting, cesses and embankment grass.
Install pill box
Install lever frame.
During ‘occupation’ of the house set up all boards and install additional backscene boards.
Alter light brackets and lengthen the pelmet for the lighting.

August
Install signals, point motors and lever frame.
Additional wiring to ensure operation of MOS yard.

My thanks to Don Roland who typed up the last two entries from notes taken at the May meeting.

Tor Giffard

Re: Crewe Area Group News and Chat

Postby Tor Giffard » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Mornin' all & happy 2014,

I reactivated my S4 membership this morning, live in Leek and work in the FLHH Control at the bottom end of Basford Hall yard.

If you'll have me, I'd like to drop in on the occasional group get together....shifts permitting and offer visits to Leek & my project 'Tor Giffard' in return. Anyone interested can follow progress up to now on my RM Web thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... n-1951-71/

Dave

Will L

Postby Will L » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi David

We will be very pleased to welcome a fellow P4 model er to the group. PM on it way.

Will

Tor Giffard

Postby Tor Giffard » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Evenin' all,

Many thanks for an enjoyable first encounter with the Crewe Area Group in Gatley this afternoon....the 3 hours went very quickly.

Regards

Dave

Return to “Crewe (CAG)”