A4P4

Moderator: Mike Garwood

Mike Garwood

A4P4

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Time for another six monthly update...sort of.

What's happening with our group? Well, work has commenced on the baseboards for Little Mill Junction and Chris Yates is busy 'beavering' away creating these for us. Rod Hall has been driving himself crazy by building flat bottom track using a variety of methods. All of which are meant to see the builder visiting a health clinic when finished. Rod has done an amazing job on the panels he's finished.
In terms of models, I've just finished the 9 coach workmens train (all Comet coaches), these were Mr Collets finest. I have also completed two Slaters droplights, these I did not enjoy building one little bit. Give me a brass kit any day. Work has commenced on the PO wagons, there are presently twenty two sitting on my work bench in various states. When I start costing what these are going to cost to finish I am awfully glad my wife is not internet savy! There's quite a cost, sprung buffers, wheels and axles, axleboxes and the sides and ends. Has to be said Craig did us proud with his design!

Mike Edmunds is presently adding more to Cwm Du for this coming weekend - Cardiff show - some of the lads will be on the Scale4 stand so if you're visiting come and say hello.

So whats' the title about? Well in one of our more enlightened evenings..it's been suggested that a P4 layout be built with in the confines of a box file. Well to be honest the layout must be capable of being transported in the box file. Stock & controllers can be carried in something else. Why have we done this? I suppose because it's never been done like this before, it's a fun thing to do and it gets members actually modelling. So far there have been seven takers. The layout is to be completed for our 2014 Christmas party. We have approached a member of the Glevum group as judge for the evening. I'm not naming names in case various parties will want to elicit favour prior to the judging. There are a set of rules for this and if you're interested they can be found on the NMRS website.

http://www.newportmrs.com/p4ina4.htm

There have been some really 'out there' suggestions for themes, including the Snowdonia railway!

A4P4-2.JPG
Really?
A4P4-2.JPG (101.05 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

Personally I'm using this as an excuse to try out some DAS modeling for walls and bridges. I firmly blame Captain Kernow for my fixation with this medium.
NAGNAG's realm has now moved into Southern England as our latest recruit lives in Poole. This also means that this gentlemen has succeeded in earning the right to a nickname handed down from generation to generation, 'The youth section', the previous incumbent has now become the 'X youth section'. Silly...absolutely, but then this is a fun hobby!

Mike

Terry Bendall

Re: A4P4

Postby Terry Bendall » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:19 am

Mike Garwood wrote:it's been suggested that a P4 layout be built with in the confines of a box file.

This has of course been done before in other scales and gauges but that does not mean that it cannot be done again and have some fun whilst you are at it. :D I have certainly seen 00 versions and at least one where there were two box files end to end which gives a bit more space. The fiddle yard can of course be outside the box.

Mike Garwood wrote: be completed for our 2014 Christmas party

2014? Easy! Make it 2013 for a real challenge :twisted:

And when they are finished we will give you a space at Scaleforum to show them off.

Terry Bendall

Ian Everett

Postby Ian Everett » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:05 am

Terry Bendall wrote: The fiddle yard can of course be outside the box.

So can the thinking...

There's also the Standard Gauge Challenge - I think an A4 layout would meet the criteria as long as it had two points.

(Just had to get my oar in!)

Ian

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 am

The fiddle yard has to fit in the box as well. The box itself can form part of the layout or can be just a box.

Terry, I'm not sure that these would be up to the standard for Scalefourum and given that they would have to be exhibited in 2015...that may cause a few staffing problems!

I'm surprised that our more 'local' groups haven't wanted to join in... :twisted: Now that would be worth showing off!

Mike

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:09 pm

We had our 2014 Christmas do last week (a little late, perhaps a nod to the Julian Calendar) and three members unveiled their P4inA4 layouts. A very diverse, imaginative and impressive selection they proved to be and pictures and notes can be found on the Newport MRS site (http://www.newportmrs.co.uk/clubgoingson.htm).

All three layouts, hopefully together with a fourth that was built by a member whose work called him away on the critical day, will be shown at the Club/Area Group Open Day in March (see elsewhere on this Forum for details).

Return to “Newport and Gwent (NAGNAG)”