Something to celebrate?

Moderator: Mike Garwood

Mike Garwood

Something to celebrate?

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Well three months later and we have something really concrete to crow about. The 28/08 will be a date to be remembered for those involved in the building of the LMJ. I must record my thanks to Steve Neill, Rod Hall and Dave Hagger, for all the work that they put into LMJ and getting it to where it is, without their support we would not have enjoyed yesterday evening.

Did something happen?

Yes...we had our usual NAGNAG meeting with a few of the Bristol groups coming over to have a look and a play on the fiddle yard...oh and a guest speaker..Mr Justin Newitt, he of sprung diesels fame.

The full 40 feet.jpg

Five baseboards, forty feet long, still got point motors and servos and power boards to put into the board at the far end and a little more wiring to be done on all the roads - to make them workable.

Justin brought over his diesels and other goodies to run. The workmanship that has gone into these is of the highest quality and the running and appearance of his stock will speak volumes when you get a chance to view them - up close and personal. It was a pleasure to welcome Justin to the NMRS clubrooms. And it was great to see so many people from our neighbouring groups join us to view Justin's ground breaking work.

Explaining 2.jpg

As you can see a lot of interest has been generated by Justin's work. Some people wanted to really get to the nitty gritty of his design's.

A few questions.jpg

I did ask for guests to bring their stock with them to try out on the fiddle yard. And we certainly had a good mixture. Ranging from Tim Venton's 'Duck', to Robin Whittle's glorious Patriot - what a beautifully crafted engine! Shame then that I forgot to photograph it !!

Other stock.jpg

Morgan Gilbert's delightful coaches, Rob Foot's wagons.

My heart felt thanks to Justin Newitt for being such a splendid sport in handling an impromptu talk / presentation and to all those who came and contributed to an entertaining and informative evening.

I hope that any of you reading this will take advantage of Justin's expertise at Scale 4 in a month's time, as he's demoing there with his sprung diesels. If there's a rather large gentlemen sat in front of him, it'll be me asking even more questions.

Cracking night, thank you Justin.

barrowroad

Re: Something to celebrate?

Postby barrowroad » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for inviting members of the Glevum & Bristol Groups last night to an interesting evening at your clubroom and thanks also to Justin for showing us his sprung diesels - how well they all performed on the LMJ fiddle yard.
As you managed to forget to photograph the Patriot here is one I took earlier.......................
Robin
Attachments
IMG_5033.JPG
Patriot 45504 Royal Signals built by Richard Hersey about 30 years ago and repainted this year by Ian Rathbone.

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Excellent evening last night, thanks to the members of Nag Nag.

Here is one of Justin's sprung diesels.
IMG_3971.JPG
IMG_3971.JPG (97.96 KiB) Viewed 6959 times

OK, for all of you that haven't built enough stock yet, here is a good tip, just photocopy stock, you'll soon have full staging roads :!:
IMG_3973.JPG
IMG_3973.JPG (145.53 KiB) Viewed 6959 times

IMG_3969.JPG
IMG_3969.JPG (98.16 KiB) Viewed 6959 times

And here are the various groups admiring the staging roads.
IMG_3972.JPG
IMG_3972.JPG (126.51 KiB) Viewed 6959 times

IMG_3970.JPG
IMG_3970.JPG (110.45 KiB) Viewed 6959 times

Here Paul Townsend is getting some tips on springing a Manor from Justin.
IMG_3974.JPG
IMG_3974.JPG (113.35 KiB) Viewed 6959 times
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

Terry Bendall

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:16 am

It certainly is something to celebrate Mike and congratulations to the group. Very impressive. We will have to find a space at a future Scaleforum for you. In image 3973, what is the purpose of the short lengths of rail inside the 4 foot way? Strengthing the joint between the track panels perhaps?

Terry Bendall

Paul Hutfield

Postby Paul Hutfield » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Firstly a big thank you to Justin and the NAGNAGer's, as previously said it was a very enjoyable evening!

Terry, looking at the pic I think the purpose of the short length of rail is to maintain electrical contact across the rail joint.

Tim, I’m not entirely convinced that the photocopies are just to experiment with wagon lengths in the fiddleyard! I believe they are remaining police markers of where violent crimes to rolling stock have occurred in the past!!  :P  :twisted:

Looking forward to the next milestone!

Best Wishes

Paul

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Good work chaps. Whats going on the front?

Cheers

Jim

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Double main line, branch line (to Usk and Glascoed) and either a 5 or 7 road yard. Oh and assortment of other trackwork, including a serious piece of corner for the brick works. Piece of cake...

http://www.newportmrs.com/littlemilljunction.htm

Mike

jjnewitt

Postby jjnewitt » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Paul Hutfield wrote:Tim, I’m not entirely convinced that the photocopies are just to experiment with wagon lengths in the fiddleyard! I believe they are remaining police markers of where violent crimes to rolling stock have occurred in the past!!  :P  :twisted:

I did notice that there was another length of 2D vans hiding on the floor in the corner. That rake must have been behaved rather badly at some point! :D

It was a most enjoyable evening. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and a relief that all the Diesels behaved themselves. Many thanks to Mike for the invite and for the cups of tea! :thumb

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 am

Tim V wrote:Excellent evening last night, thanks to the members of Nag Nag.

Here is one of Justin's sprung diesels.
The attachment IMG_3971.JPG is no longer available

Here are 4 pix showing Justin's etch for the sprung bogie and the assembled job.
Sorry that several are very soft...my camera dropped out of macro mode
B&%%$R

AUT_6964.JPG
etch
AUT_6964.JPG (76.05 KiB) Viewed 6662 times

CRW_6958.jpg

CRW_6962.jpg

CRW_6963.jpg
CRW_6963.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 6662 times

Even tho' diesels are not my thing I admired the engineering ideas and implementation.

I loved the flatpack rolling stock in the staging roads and will use that idea on my new under-development layout ( Dartmouth, 1870s Mixed BG and NG)

The method of use of Merg Servos was of interest too as I am using those now for Glastonbury fiddle yard and Dartmouth....much lighter & neater than PO3000 relays which control Highbridge turnouts. I particularly liked the simple mounts and coupling method avoiding omega loops (which I hate).
6966_Closeup.JPG

As Tim said I peered closely at Justin's Manor (M.Mitchell kit) as he has improved the suspension with springing...my pix useless as macro failed again :(

TVM to NagNag, shame about the lack of ale... I volunteered to drive.
It may amuse you to know that returning home alone after dropping off chums I was stopped by Police in Central Bristol for a " routine Drink Driving survey" just before midnight...much sniffing....I confessed to a pint of shandy and a pint of Orange and Lemonade at 10pm and was sent packing with a big grin from PCs and me feeling virtuous!

Flymo748

Postby Flymo748 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:26 am

paultownsend wrote:The method of use of Merg Servos was of interest too as I am using those now for Glastonbury fiddle yard and Dartmouth....much lighter & neater than PO3000 relays which control Highbridge turnouts. I particularly liked the simple mounts and coupling method avoiding omega loops (which I hate).

That looks very neat indeed. As my ability to make omega loops varies with how dexterous I am with the snipe-nosed pliers, I may have to investigate the use of the coil spring as an alternative. Image has been duly snaffled by me for future reference...

paultownsend wrote:TVM to NagNag, shame about the lack of ale... I volunteered to drive.
It may amuse you to know that returning home alone after dropping off chums I was stopped by Police in Central Bristol for a " routine Drink Driving survey" just before midnight...much sniffing....I confessed to a pint of shandy and a pint of Orange and Lemonade at 10pm and was sent packing with a big grin from PCs and me feeling virtuous!

If there is one thing that scares me about driving "Oop Norf" it's the matrix signs on the motorways. A couple of times a year, we go over to the Isle of Man by ferry, as we did last weekend.

There is something rather scary about not seeing the usual "Don't drink and drive" warnings, but "Drug driving wrecks lives". If you had been stopped in Liverpool, they may have thought that Orange & Lemonade was a new form of powder concoction!

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:07 am

Well Flymo they are better than some of the Victorian bill boards 'Drink and Drive, you are a bloody idiot' ... they also include the dead bodies on the road... suttle as a sledge hammer. They will scare you into not drinking at all! :shock:
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Terry Bendall wrote:In image 3973, what is the purpose of the short lengths of rail inside the 4 foot way? Strengthing the joint between the track panels perhaps?

Just boring old continuity, I'm afraid Terry, just as Paul surmised.
Rod

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:52 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
paultownsend wrote:The method of use of Merg Servos was of interest too as I am using those now for Glastonbury fiddle yard and Dartmouth....much lighter & neater than PO3000 relays which control Highbridge turnouts. I particularly liked the simple mounts and coupling method avoiding omega loops (which I hate).

That looks very neat indeed. As my ability to make omega loops varies with how dexterous I am with the snipe-nosed pliers, I may have to investigate the use of the coil spring as an alternative. Image has been duly snaffled by me for future reference...

paultownsend wrote:TVM to NagNag, shame about the lack of ale... I volunteered to drive.

If there is one thing that scares me about driving "Oop Norf" it's the matrix signs on the motorways. A couple of times a year, we go over to the Isle of Man by ferry, as we did last weekend.

There is something rather scary about not seeing the usual "Don't drink and drive" warnings, but "Drug driving wrecks lives". If you had been stopped in Liverpool, they may have thought that Orange & Lemonade was a new form of powder concoction!

Flymo

Instead of Omega Loops, you could try Z springs Paul, much easier to make and do the same thing...

regards
trevor

Simon_S

Postby Simon_S » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Re. servos - no need for any springs; the software of the servo driver allows you to set the end positions of the servo travel with great precision.

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm

The Servo driver does allow accurate setting but with a simple direct drive such as that in the picture the servo would only be moving about 3 degrees to move the point, you either need to move the drive to the inner holes in the drive crank to get a bigger angular change or allow some lost motion, if doing the latter the springs do no harm and make setting the end points easier. Personally I prefer to arrange the mechanical drive to use 60 - 70 degrees of rotation on the servo, this also reduces the torque fed back to the servo avoiding any issues with run back. A MERG servo mount kit does this for you and provides microswitches to set the crossing polarity but does increase the cost compared to a DIY mount.
This was the original prototype and shows the principle I use, they can be assembled much more compactly using the Tower Pro micro servos.

Regards
Keith

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 am

I agree with the points(!) Keith made and will be using some of the Merg servo bases. However they are more bulky than the Newport mob's arrangement and a mixed use as space allows is likely.

grovenor-2685

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:43 am

I have installed two of the MERG bases for trial, and yes they are quite big, and look a bit on the fragile side if in a position subject to knocks. Which applies to one of my two and I am aiming to replace it with an alternative DIY version asing the same principle as the one shown above but oriented vertically.
The nice thing with Servos is you have lots of mounting options and a length of aluminium angle from B&Q will make lots. Using commercial mounts, even MERG ones significantly increases the cost.
Regards
Keith

Return to “Newport and Gwent (NAGNAG)”