Another six monthly update...

Moderator: Mike Garwood

Mike Garwood

Another six monthly update...

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:43 pm

What have the Welsh been up to, apart from winning the grand slam, we've been building track, laying track, building point work, undoing point work, all the things associated with building a fiddle yard that's forty feet long.
A few thank yous won't go amiss at this stage as I have been tied up with work for a lot of our meetings over the last six months. So my grateful thanks to Dave Hagger and Rod Hall for holding the ship on a steady course and keeping the progress moving along.

There's an update on our website as to how everything looks;

http://www.freewebs.com/nagnag/nagnagmembers.htm

That's it brief and to the point...

Mike

philip-griffiths

Re: Another six monthly update...

Postby philip-griffiths » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Mike,

I noted the work on Little Mill Junction on the Newport MRS website and with progress on the NAGNAG site, and downloaded the information on the trains through the junction.

I note that you didn't have listed the various workings to and from ROF Glascoed. I have a copy of the Neath - Pontypool Road WTT for 1944 and it contains considerable number of passenger/workmen trains from Ebbw Vale, Rhymney (via the B&M) and Merthyr via Quaker's Yard, all heading eastwards to Glascoed.

regards

Philip

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Philip,

Great to see that someone's following the progress, albeit slower than we'd like, on Little Mill (here).

I hadn't realised that we didn't mention the trains to and from ROF Glascoed and it's certainly our intention to include the Dumpers, as they were colloquially known, in the layout's working timetable. In our chosen period of early 1955 there were still three trains each way a day (one of which was a double-headed combined working from Blaenavon and Newport comprising nine coaches). In earlier times the workmens' trains comprised eight (from memory) Dean four-wheelers but we haven't yet been able to find what diagrams were used in our period. There is one photograph that was reproduced in Locomotives Illustrated, GWR Pannier Tanks post 1923, but nothing else has come to light so far.

We'd certainly be interested in any info on the trains that could be gleaned from the 1944 Neath - Pontypool Road WTT, or indeed anything else on the station or working through it.

Regards
Rod

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Mike,

I have seen a photo of the Glascoed station sometime in the past and the stock was non-gangwayed bogie, possibly ex GWR, cannot be too sure where I saw the picture.

regards

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks Philip, I think that picture would be new to us. Now if you remember where you saw it ...
Regards
Rod

philip-griffiths

Postby philip-griffiths » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Rod. I've been looking through my books but no success so far. A nagging feeling says a Michael Hale publication.

Regards.

newport_rod

Postby newport_rod » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Philip, Thanks for the tip. I've thumbed through the various volumes of Hale's (indispensable) Steam in South Wales, but haven't found anything yet. I'll keep on looking though.
Rod

Return to “Newport and Gwent (NAGNAG)”