First trains run on TT2!

Moderator: Rod Cameron

User avatar
Captain Kernow
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm

First trains run on TT2!

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Last night, D.R.A.G. christened our new test track, by operating some UK profile 4mm models on the P87 circuit.....

DSC02174.jpg
The test track set up in the village hall
DSC02174.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 6445 times

DSC02177.jpg
Rod Cameron getting his model of 'The Inter City' (or was it 'The Cornishman?') set up, ready to go on the track. A 'Western' was the motive power...
DSC02177.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 6445 times

DSC02173.jpg
First movement was actually London Underground motive power!
DSC02173.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 6445 times

DSC02178.jpg
This is the best impression that my mobile phone camera could render of Turner's 'Rain, Diesel and Speed'...
DSC02178.jpg (53.98 KiB) Viewed 6445 times

DSC02181.jpg
John Farmer at the controls, his Light Pacific was on the circuit at the time, hauling an unreasonably long train....
DSC02181.jpg (57.99 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
Tim M
DRAG - The Area Group for all right-thinking P4 modellers in South Devon!

User avatar
Captain Kernow
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Rod Cameron didn't let the absence of a third rail stop him having fun running this:
DSC02190.jpg
DSC02190.jpg (62.38 KiB) Viewed 6440 times

DSC02191.jpg
John Farmer provided the coaching stock for the Cleethorpes - Exmouth, I provided the motive power...
DSC02191.jpg (76.27 KiB) Viewed 6440 times


While all the excitement was going on, on the 'P87' circuit, Andrew Howlett brought out some broad gauge items he had started a few years ago, to P4 standards:

DSC02185.jpg
DSC02185.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 6440 times

DSC02187.jpg
DSC02187.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 6440 times

DSC02188.jpg
DSC02188.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 6440 times


There's still a huge amount of work to do, not least in the wiring... ;) ;) (which Peter Archard has in hand). Additionally, the two inner P4 circuits have still to be completed, due to a hold-up getting the Tillig superelevation strips which we have used for the first few superelevated sections.

Finally, we will need to adjust all the legs and level the test track out, and draw up a consistent plan for erection on the village hall floor.
Tim M
DRAG - The Area Group for all right-thinking P4 modellers in South Devon!

Brinkly
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Brinkly » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Couple more,
Western on Torbay express.JPG
I now feel I must get my Cornish Rivera Set completed to run on the first P4 loop! Need to build a Comet chassis for my castle too!
Western on Torbay express.JPG (73.24 KiB) Viewed 6437 times

Tail of The Torbay Express (tail lamp can be seen to the left of the carriage).JPG
Tail of The Torbay Express (tail lamp can be seen to the left of the carriage).JPG (73 KiB) Viewed 6437 times

And just to show that not all the T9s had faults,

14 carriage set!

Regards,

Nick
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed URL to {youtube} Bb code

ClikC

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby ClikC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Incredible stuff!

How much more P4 track needs to be laid before completion?

Regards

Matt

User avatar
Captain Kernow
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:45 am

ClikC wrote:How much more P4 track needs to be laid before completion?

About 20 metres of curved and superelevated track, I would estimate. John Farmer has now confirmed that the Tillig bases are 'on their way!'...
Tim M
DRAG - The Area Group for all right-thinking P4 modellers in South Devon!

User avatar
Mike Garwood
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Mike Garwood » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm

Rod

That looks like immense fun! Any chance of some Utube coverage just to get a full flavour? :mrgreen:

regards

Mike

User avatar
grovenor-2685
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby grovenor-2685 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Mike,
Have a look a couple of posts up!
Brinkly posted the U-tube link.
I have now edited it using the BB code so it shows properly.
Regards
Keith

Brinkly
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Brinkly » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:23 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Mike,
Have a look a couple of posts up!
Brinkly posted the U-tube link.
I have now edited it using the BB code so it shows properly.
Regards
Keith


Thanks Keith!

I took the video on Monday night and next time I will get my stand out to make the image a little clearer.

Regards,

Nick

ClikC

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby ClikC » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:
ClikC wrote:How much more P4 track needs to be laid before completion?

About 20 metres of curved and superelevated track, I would estimate. John Farmer has now confirmed that the Tillig bases are 'on their way!'...


Thanks for the reply Tim. While work is quite I must try to come down and lend a hand where possible.

Regards

User avatar
jim s-w
Posts: 1617
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby jim s-w » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Well done chaps!

Cheers

Jim

Brinkly
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Brinkly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:23 pm

jim s-w wrote:Well done chaps!

Cheers

Jim


Thanks Jim,
It was a rather special evening, a real sense of achievement.

Regards,

Nick

User avatar
the fatadder
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby the fatadder » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Good to see that its getting near to completion, Was hoping to make it down for the next one but things keep coming up in the way. Suspect I am not going to be able to make it back down there until there's next a bank holiday....

User avatar
Captain Kernow
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

ClikC wrote:While work is quite I must try to come down and lend a hand where possible

You would be very welcome on any club night, Matt, just PM me or Rod for info on where and when to find us.

the fatadder wrote:Good to see that its getting near to completion, Was hoping to make it down for the next one but things keep coming up in the way. Suspect I am not going to be able to make it back down there until there's next a bank holiday....

Nice try, matey, we all know that you're really just waiting for the P4 circuits to be completed!! ;) ;) ;)
Tim M
DRAG - The Area Group for all right-thinking P4 modellers in South Devon!

User avatar
Rod Cameron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks all for the photos (and Nick especially for the video!). I must admit I was fairly gobsmacked to see the T9 cope easily with so many on the drawbar - I just started with a modest P-set and Van C, then someone hooked a load more on while my back was turned and it lifted them all without any hesitation :D
Rod

User avatar
grovenor-2685
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby grovenor-2685 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:04 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Thanks all for the photos (and Nick especially for the video!). I must admit I was fairly gobsmacked to see the T9 cope easily with so many on the drawbar - I just started with a modest P-set and Van C, then someone hooked a load more on while my back was turned and it lifted them all without any hesitation :D

Must be downhill all the way round. :o
Keith

User avatar
Rod Cameron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Rod Cameron » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:18 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:Must be downhill all the way round. :o
Keith


Nah, that would be the Escher AG's track :mrgreen:
Rod

User avatar
Brian Harrap
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Brian Harrap » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Just been looking at the picture of Andrew Howlett's dual gauge slip. Best bit of broad gauge I've seen since 1892. By the way, what is all this P87 test track nonsence? - The sleepering is all wrong.
Regards Brian.

Brinkly
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Brinkly » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:07 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:Thanks all for the photos (and Nick especially for the video!). I must admit I was fairly gobsmacked to see the T9 cope easily with so many on the drawbar - I just started with a modest P-set and Van C, then someone hooked a load more on while my back was turned and it lifted them all without any hesitation :D


No problem Mr C, we have evidence to prove our claims! One of the chaps suggested that we could do a video presentation of TT2, so perhaps we could look into that and film the various stages of erecting TT2?

Brian Harrap wrote:Just been looking at the picture of Andrew Howlett's dual gauge slip. Best bit of broad gauge I've seen since 1892. By the way, what is all this P87 test track nonsence? - The sleepering is all wrong.
Regards Brian.


:D That comment did make me smile Brian, both in relation to dual gauge slip and P87! One day I might have a crack at a modelling a bit of duel gauge, something simple like Mary Tavy Station as the goods yard was only laid in broad gauge so it would only need to be the running line and crossing loop that would need to be laid in dual form.

As ever, Nick.

User avatar
Captain Kernow
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Brinkly wrote:No problem Mr C, we have evidence to prove our claims! One of the chaps suggested that we could do a video presentation of TT2, so perhaps we could look into that and film the various stages of erecting TT2?

Running some trains, perhaps.

But an official DRAG Public Information film showing the correct way to erect and dismantle our test track? .....Hmm, not sure Equity would admit us anyway... (and in any case, we're going to have to get just a bit slicker at it, before we let Cecil 'Brinkly' De Mille loose at Holcombe! :P )


Brinkly wrote:a bit of duel gauge

Would that be some track that takes 14XXs and steam traction engines? ;) :D
Tim M
DRAG - The Area Group for all right-thinking P4 modellers in South Devon!

User avatar
Flymo748
Posts: 2113
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Flymo748 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:Running some trains, perhaps.

But an official DRAG Public Information film showing the correct way to erect and dismantle our test track? .....


That sounds more like a call for Mr Cholmondley-Warner and Grayson :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ivsb79-h90

Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Brinkly
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Brinkly » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:
Brinkly wrote:No problem Mr C, we have evidence to prove our claims! One of the chaps suggested that we could do a video presentation of TT2, so perhaps we could look into that and film the various stages of erecting TT2?

Running some trains, perhaps.

But an official DRAG Public Information film showing the correct way to erect and dismantle our test track? .....Hmm, not sure Equity would admit us anyway... (and in any case, we're going to have to get just a bit slicker at it, before we let Cecil 'Brinkly' De Mille loose at Holcombe! :P )

Well when we reach the appropriate juncture, at the correct stage of development, when the time is right, then I shall dust of my 'public' school accent, put on my robes and film the staff in full flow, commentating on their lack of progress! ;) :mrgreen:

Captain Kernow wrote:
Brinkly wrote:a bit of duel gauge

Would that be some track that takes 14XXs and steam traction engines? ;) :D


You make it sound like something out of a Rev. Awdry story Tim dear chap! ;)

ClikC

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby ClikC » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:28 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:
ClikC wrote:While work is quite I must try to come down and lend a hand where possible

You would be very welcome on any club night, Matt, just PM me or Rod for info on where and when to find us.


Thanks Tim, PM duly sent.

Regards

User avatar
Captain Kernow
Posts: 297
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Brinkly wrote:You make it sound like something out of a Rev. Awdry story Tim dear chap! ;)

Not Rev Awdry, Nick, but something from around that era. However, I'm sure you are too learned for me to have to explain the actual reference!
Tim M
DRAG - The Area Group for all right-thinking P4 modellers in South Devon!

User avatar
Rod Cameron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Rod Cameron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Last Monday night we had one of the P4 tracks operational (albeit with temporary wiring). The honour of the first P4 powered movement went to John Farmer with a Vitrains 37:



This was shortly followed by this three loco lashup



and eventually by CK with a proper train (33 and parcels)



Meanwhile on the previously opened 00 line the Devon Belle was running



and with a last minute loco substitution which conveniently illustrates the test track's size - apologies for the member's behaviour, he's been given a slap ;)

Rod

Brinkly
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Brinkly » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:50 pm

That last Video Rod is so not staged! Such a selection of moves!


Return to “Devon Riviera (DRAG)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest