64 wagon train on TT2

Moderator: Rod Cameron

Re6/6

64 wagon train on TT2

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:53 pm

More fun and games last night. We still have one or two electrical snags to sort out but generally speaking that's it. We're in business . A paint touch up will come eventually. We were pleased to welcome David Brandreth from our neighbouring group the Mid Devon Area .

Apologies for all the chattering row. It's impossible to get them to shut up whilst filming!

John

craig_whilding

Re: 64 wagon train on TT2

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Its not a proper test unless you propel it.. ;)

Joking aside it would be interesting to see how a rake like that performs being shunted over the crossovers. We've only gone up to 21 on Slattocks and the layout isn't really big enough for many more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Y1J6DcciU

So when are you guys starting on some boards with backscenes and scenery to slot in :).

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:43 pm

craig_whilding wrote:Its not a proper test unless you propel it.. ;)

craig_whilding wrote:Joking aside it would be interesting to see how a rake like that performs being shunted over the crossovers.

Craig, I thought that it wouldn't be long before that question was asked! You'll have to take it up with CK! ;)

craig_whilding wrote:So when are you guys starting on some boards with backscenes and scenery to slot in :).

Aaah...now you're asking! There has been much talk about this for sometime....one or two of us would love to see such a thing! :mrgreen:
John

Jonathan Wells

Postby Jonathan Wells » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm

It's interesting to see that the locos do not wobble and that only a handful of wagons have some wobble in that train! Do they all have compensation or springing? ( apart from the wobbly wagons )

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Jonathan Wells wrote:It's interesting to see that the locos do not wobble and that only a handful of wagons have some wobble in that train! Do they all have compensation or springing? ( apart from the wobbly wagons )

If I remember correctly, the locos are compensated as are all the GW wagons in the front half and the BR wagons in the back half are a mixture of proprietary unsprung, kit built compensated and sprung (BB) The 'wobbly' ones certainly aren't the BB sprung ones. I know that we have had compensated wagons before that were decidedly wobbly and some 'rigid' ones were fine!

As Craig has 'thrown down the gauntlet' the next test will have to be a propelling move..........maybe through the C12 crossover first!
;)
John

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:38 pm

If I recall it's D12 John, so that should make it a bit easier!
Rod

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Wobble is usually caused by wobbly wheels :!:

Should investigate that - before Martin Gooodall reads this thread....
Tim V
Scalefour News Editor

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Tim V wrote:Wobble is usually caused by wobbly wheels :!:

Should investigate that - before Martin Gooodall reads this thread....

I don't think an EM flange will help an egg shaped wheel much or a wonky one..

I look forward to the footage John. Hopefully i'll have a chance to run my own stock on it sometime in the future too :).

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 pm

craig_whilding wrote:I look forward to the footage John.

Looks like the gauntlet in down now ! ;)

craig_whilding wrote: Hopefully i'll have a chance to run my own stock on it sometime in the future too :).

You know where we are! :)
John

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 am

craig_whilding wrote:Its not a proper test unless you propel it.. ;)

Joking aside it would be interesting to see how a rake like that performs being shunted over the crossovers. We've only gone up to 21 on Slattocks and the layout isn't really big enough for many more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Y1J6DcciU

In point of fact, Craig, IIRC we did on at least one occasion in the last few months successfully propel circa 30 of my wagons through one of the crossovers at a suitably scale speed for the movement.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Mike Garwood

Postby Mike Garwood » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 pm

In point of fact, Craig, IIRC we did on at least one occasion in the last few months successfully propel circa 30 of my wagons through one of the crossovers at a suitably scale speed for the movement.

Proof Sir, we want proof! and another chance to look at this feat of engineering.

Mike

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Jonathan Wells wrote:It's interesting to see that the locos do not wobble and that only a handful of wagons have some wobble in that train! Do they all have compensation or springing? ( apart from the wobbly wagons )

I'm amazed that you could detect wobble from the YouTube footage. Nothing wrong with the original footage, but when I view it on YouTube, it's rather jerky, so I find detecting wobbles rather difficult!
Tim M

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Re6/6 wrote:

If I remember correctly, the locos are compensated as are all the GW wagons in the front half and the BR wagons in the back half are a mixture of proprietary unsprung, kit built compensated and sprung (BB) The 'wobbly' ones certainly aren't the BB sprung ones. I know that we have had compensated wagons before that were decidedly wobbly and some 'rigid' ones were fine!

The rear 32 vehicles were mine, so whilst most are either sprung or compensated, there are one or two where I just couldn't be bothered to do either. They are only a handful of them, all short-wheelbased stock, a couple of the 16t minerals and one or two of the older opens, that's it.

Re6/6 wrote:As Craig has 'thrown down the gauntlet' the next test will have to be a propelling move..........maybe through the C12 crossover first!
;)

Well, the propelling move we did make a few months ago was through the A6 crossover, IIRC, at a suitably slow speed, which is exactly what would have applied in the prototype, so certainly not as fast as the apparent speed in the Slattocks footage.

All being well, I will try to conduct and film a propelling movement at the next DRAG meeting...
Tim M

essdee

Postby essdee » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:48 pm

So to recap: after Craig's offer of MRC propelling 21 through straight roads at Slattocks Junction, followed by DRAG's forthcoming post of their 30 wagons propelled through an A6 crossover....anybody like to raise the bar further?

Temporary advantage DRAG; DRAG to serve - Quiet Please!

A. Truble-Maker (with no layout, of course...)

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:44 pm

essdee wrote:So to recap: after Craig's offer of MRC propelling 21 through straight roads at Slattocks Junction, followed by DRAG's forthcoming post of their 30 wagons propelled through an A6 crossover....anybody like to raise the bar further?

Temporary advantage DRAG; DRAG to serve - Quiet Please!

A. Truble-Maker (with no layout, of course...)

You are always welcome to come and adjudicate on site, Steve, any time! ;)

By the way, an official DRAG Spokesman would neither confirm nor deny that the A6 crossover would be used for the forthcoming attempt.... (not when there's a D12 available, Guv'nor! :D )
Tim M

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:53 am

Captain Kernow wrote:
essdee wrote:So to recap: after Craig's offer of MRC propelling 21 through straight roads at Slattocks Junction, followed by DRAG's forthcoming post of their 30 wagons propelled through an A6 crossover....anybody like to raise the bar further?

Well I can do it once through a B6 crossover/tandem; repeating it 100% reliably is more of a challenge.
Down Martin!

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 am

paultownsend wrote:Well I can do it once through a B6 crossover/tandem; repeating it 100% reliably is more of a challenge.
Down Martin!

Well, I can confirm that a successful propelling movement was made through a B6 crossover on the DRAG test track last night, with 30 vehicles. It was captured on film by John Farmer, who I believe is planning to upload a link to YouTube on here in due course.
Tim M

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Re6/6 wrote:
craig_whilding wrote:I look forward to the footage John.

"Looks like the gauntlet is down now !"

........now picked up! ;)

Unfortunately my camera ran out of memory just before the loco completed its movement through the crossover!
John

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Nice one John - came out very well! :mrgreen:
Rod

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

That is good. :)

Regards,

Nick

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Ah the power of peer pressure ;). Top work chaps, looks rather good :) (even if YouTube is trying its best to make it look anything but smooth!).

I'll have to crack on with my buffer ferrules sometime to add to my rake.

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Bravo chaps.

I wonder if a certain late Cyril Freezer beleives now?

Mind you, someone has a lot of wagon weathering to go (and some painting to be fair!)..................
Mark Tatlow

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:49 pm

My wife saw the clip and said "that looks real". Enough said! Good job.
Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Will L

Postby Will L » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:I wonder if a certain late Cyril Freezer beleives now?

Now there is a philosophical question worthy of a divinity students PHD.

Will

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 am

Thanks all for the complements. :) It was all good fun and now seems to have set a precedent for us!

At last TT2 is being used for what it was intended. ;)
John

Return to “Devon Riviera (DRAG)”