John's flux

Moderator: Rod Cameron

Metropolitan

John's flux

Postby Metropolitan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm

I've just made up 30 litres of 14% Phosphoric Acid flux (with a wetting agent). Suitable for etched brass and NS.

If any one would like a litre of it I'll bring it to the next DRAG. Cost would be £4 although I'll donate a pound of it to the club!!

(Bottles are recyclable!!)

Dave K

Re: First trains run on TT2!

Postby Dave K » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:24 am

Metropolitan wrote:I've just made up 30 litres of 14% Phosphoric Acid flux (with a wetting agent). Suitable for etched brass and NS.

If any one would like a litre of it I'll bring it to the next DRAG. Cost would be £4 although I'll donate a pound of it to the club!!

I would love a book of Château DRAG vintage 2010 but I live in West Sussex - any chance a DRAG member could bring me up a bottle to Scaleforum :?:

Metropolitan

Postby Metropolitan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:11 am

dave k wrote:
I would love a book of Château DRAG vintage 2010 but I live in West Sussex - any chance a DRAG member could bring me up a bottle to Scaleforum :?:

No problem Dave. I'll be there both days.

Actually, I had thought of bringing a couple of gallons to sell on the Bring and Buy......But then I thought I'd better not! :D ;)

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Metropolitan wrote:
dave k wrote:Actually, I had thought of bringing a couple of gallons to sell on the Bring and Buy.....

I hope you're not going anywhere near the Refreshment Tent, then!! ;) :D
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Alan Turner

Postby Alan Turner » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:28 pm

May I suggest that putting toxic substances into bottles originally for drinks is not a good idea. A number of deaths to children were caused that way i.e. if you can’t read putting "do not drink" is not much use!

Alan

Metropolitan

Postby Metropolitan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Alan Turner wrote:May I suggest that putting toxic substances into bottles originally for drinks is not a good idea. A number of deaths to children were caused that way i.e. if you can’t read putting "do not drink" is not much use!

Alan

I agree Alan and I will be very careful to whom I give the flux. In fact though, dilute phosphoric acid isn't any more poisonous than Coca Cola is. But like any chemical, care is needed (just like Coke!! :D ). I just happen to have to hand a stock of French cider bottles. No, don't ask...

Metropolitan

Postby Metropolitan » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:
Metropolitan wrote:I hope you're not going anywhere near the Refreshment Tent, then!! ;) :D

It can't taste any worse than the coffee!!!! :D :D :D

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Metropolitan wrote:It can't taste any worse than the coffee!!!! :D :D :D

Either way, I'll make my own, ta! ;) :D
Tim M

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:28 am

Metropolitan wrote:No problem Dave. I'll be there both days.

Where will you be or are you just visiting :?:

Captain Kernow wrote:
Metropolitan wrote:I hope you're not going anywhere near the Refreshment Tent, then!! ;) :D

It can't taste any worse than the coffee!!!! :D :D :D

Might be different this year as there are new refreshment arrangements - one can always hope :!: :!: :!:

Metropolitan

Postby Metropolitan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:09 pm

[quote="dave k"]

Where will you be or are you just visiting :?: [quote/]

I'll be on the Bring and Buy. Contraband such as this will be in the boot of my car however! Password is 'P4'.

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:53 pm

Metropolitan wrote:

I'll be on the Bring and Buy. Contraband such as this will be in the boot of my car however! Password is 'P4'.
[/quote]

So you won't be paying rent like the other traders then. :shock:

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:
Metropolitan wrote:So you won't be paying rent like the other traders then. :shock:

Well, he's running the Bring & Buy, although I don't know where that leaves him for stand rentals....
Tim M

Metropolitan

Re: John's flux

Postby Metropolitan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:53 pm

I've just soldered up an LBSC Horse Box with it and can honestly say that it is an excellent brew! :D

EDIT: Now sold out 'till I make another batch.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Well, he's running the Bring & Buy, although I don't know where that leaves him for stand rentals....

Good to know and best of luck with it, and I'd quite like an answer to my question here,
http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1009
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:

Good to know and best of luck with it, and I'd quite like an answer to my question here,
http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1009
Regards
Keith

if that is what has been announced then I would suggest that it is what it is Keith.

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:03 pm

Metropolitan wrote:I've just made up 30 litres of 14% Phosphoric Acid flux (with a wetting agent). Suitable for etched brass and NS.

(Bottles are recyclable!!)

Well I did get some funny looks from various people whilst I was leaving s4um today, with a litre bottle is "illicit brew" tucked under my arm, needless to say the look from the wife when I got back home was equally odd.
Although I did tell her that that wine I brought for dinner tonight was quite acidic, that did the trick!!! :shock:

Thanks for the Flux. when I have used it all up, can I return the bottle for a refill or deposit refund :D

Regards
Trevor

Metropolitan

Postby Metropolitan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Trevor Grout wrote:

Thanks for the Flux. when I have used it all up, can I return the bottle for a refill or deposit refund :D

Regards
Trevor

Sadly no. Although I am happy to re-fill your bottle at next years Scaleforum!! :D

I feel guilty that I ran out. And that some that had been promised didn't recieve any. Therefore it is now available by post in 1 pint plastic bottles for £4 plus £2 P&P.

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:04 am

Metropolitan wrote: Therefore it is now available by post in 1 pint plastic bottles for £4 plus £2 P&P.

Is the Post Office OK about this? I thought they were a bit fussy about noxious liquids being put in the post? I know its only dilute phosphoric acid, but what does the man on your local Post Office counter say about it?

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:12 am

As moderator of this little section of the forum, I echo Martin Goodall's question/concern about sending this through the post. John, I'm sure you will be complying with any conditions that impact on delivery of this stuff!
Rod

Metropolitan

Postby Metropolitan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:As moderator of this little section of the forum, I echo Martin Goodall's question/concern about sending this through the post. John, I'm sure you will be complying with any conditions that impact on delivery of this stuff!

Nonsense Rod. The neat 2.5 litres of phosphoric acid came by normal Parcel Force delivery to my door from a reputable firm. I can't see any reason why I cannot post it in dilute form. Is Carrs flux sent by post?? It's just the same. Or should the police be forbidding them to sell it by mail order? Sorry, but your post is Health and Safety paranoia gone mad.

I think there may be a considerable misunderstanding of Phosphoric acid and what it does. Firstly, it is not poisonous. It is however corrosive in concentrated form. To burn skin it needs to be upwards of 85% neat. Even then it can be washed off with no lasting effects. Once again I must stress that it is NOT poisonous.

Once diluted down (with water) to the level at which we use it as a flux it is perfectly safe. Coca Cola is about 3% Phosphoric acid for instance and many foods contain acids at much higher concentrations than this flux. In fact I've tasted a drop of my flux on the end of a finger and it's quite palatable!! :D It's the ingredient that gives Coca Cola it's zing!

It is absolutely safe to send PA flux by post. It is no more dangerous than concentrated Lemon juice.

It's a different animal to sulphuric and nitric acid.
Last edited by Metropolitan on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm

John, my post wasn't H&S paranoia, I was just seeking clarification which you have provided, thankyou.
Rod

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Rod Cameron wrote:John, my post wasn't H&S paranoia, I was just seeking clarification which you have provided, thankyou.

Me too. 'I only asked.'

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:36 pm

I guess it will depend on who you ask at your local Royal Mail depot (if you ask at all).

The RM website states that corrosive Substances are prohibited, defined as follows;

"Substances which can cause severe damage to living tissue, other freight or transport by its chemical action are prohibited. E.g. aluminium chloride, caustic soda, corrosive cleaning fluid, corrosive rust remover/preventative, corrosive paint remover, electric storage batteries; hydrochloric acid, nitric acid and sulphuric acid. "

Phosphoric acid would fall into the "corrosive rust remover/preventative" category, but only if the RM operative understands that.

LRM were advised by their local depot that they couldn't send Phosflux through the post!

Jol

Metropolitan

Postby Metropolitan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:sulphuric acid. "

Phosphoric acid would fall into the "corrosive rust remover/preventative" category, but only if the RM operative understands that.

Jol

Rubbish Jol. At the dilution rate at which we use flux it is pretty much non corrosive. Are you saying that Carr's flux should not be posted? I have no doubt that Carr's flux is constantly posted everywhere and anywhere without the slightest problem. Or do you think that my flux is somehow different? It ain't! It's just far cheaper. :D

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Metropolitan wrote:

Rubbish Jol. At the dilution rate at which we use flux it is pretty much non corrosive. Are you saying that Carr's flux should not be posted? I have no doubt that Carr's flux is constantly posted everywhere and anywhere without the slightest problem. Or do you think that my flux is somehow different? It ain't! It's just far cheaper. :D

John

I have no intention of getting in a slanging match with you. You have clearly got your own definitions what "corrosive" means.

I simply quoted what's on the Royal mail website and what London Road Models were told. If you don't want to believe it, then don't.

Jol

Return to “Devon Riviera (DRAG)”