pre 1930 vehicles

scalemaster

pre 1930 vehicles

Postby scalemaster » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:36 am

My layout Epsom/Epsom Town depicts the years of 1928/9 and I find supply of general vehicles hard to find cars in particular.

I have a few Stl bus,gwr lorry,austin 6, horse&carriages,wanted vehicles like riley,trojen van rolls Royce ,ford cars,ect.

Does anyone now of suppliers of pre 30`s vehicles?

Regards Scalemaster

DougN

Re: pre 1930 vehicles

Postby DougN » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:07 am

There are some but it is a limited range from Oxford die cast. I'm not a car expert so I take one when I am buying things.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Noel

Postby Noel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:51 am

Oxford's range is mostly WW2 onwards, with only a few from the late 1930s, and none earlier, so far as I know, apart from a couple of steam traction engine types. The London Transport STL bus, incidentally, dates from 1932; the classic London bus of the mid-1920s is the LGOC NS, with open top and staircase and solid tyres, of which the East Surrey company operated 18. Contemporary vehicles from other manufacturers would have been in the same style.

I think you will need to look at kits. Inputting "OO scale car kits" or "OO scale road vehicles" or similar to your favoured search engine should produce sites for available suppliers/manufacturers. The up side is that road motor vehicles were not that common then, at least by current standards...

Noel
Regards
Noel

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:20 pm

You may find some useful kits on this site:
http://www.autocraft.plus.com/page33.html

Cheers,

David

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Hello Scalemaster

I did a few searches on the internet and ended up buying 2 vehicles from Scale Link. One is an Austin 7, which although marked on the Scale Link site as 1930s it appears that the basis of the type is a 1920s design. I accept that the model may represent a 1930s body type - so many different versions of the cars plus the complication of coachwork being completed separately.

These models have no glazing included. I know I've read before in modelling articles what can work well - I've not found anything looking back through my stuff. Any suggestions? The kit is simple and fits together nicely.

Andrew
in Brockley

KK92

Postby KK92 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Andrew,

BrockleyAndrew wrote:These models have no glazing included. I know I've read before in modelling articles what can work well - I've not found anything looking back through my stuff. Any suggestions? The kit is simple and fits together nicely.

You can try Microscale Kristal Klear http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-9&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=8

This is basically a clear drying PVA glue that has a high viscosity. It is drawn across the window opening with a cocktail stick. It is not possible to do some sperical windows but flatt ones should be no problem supposed they are small.

DaveHarris

Postby DaveHarris » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:11 pm

You could also try a product by 'Deluxe Materials' called 'Glue 'n' Glaze'. It appears to do the same job

Dave H

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Many thanks Klaus and Dave for the suggestions. I didn't fancy trying to cut out a very small piece of perspex/acetate!

Andrew
in Brockley

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Hello all
not sure of the etiquette with starting a new topic etc, but thought I'd ask about the general feeling for original colour for 1920/1930's vehicles within this thread. It seems that most B&W photos of vehicles from the period show black vehicles in almost total dominance - certainly there seem to be very few 2 tone paint jobs and yet most of the surviving cars (on enthusiast or sales sites) are painted in brighter colour bodies with black mudguards and hoods/cabs. I know that the old Model T Ford story of "any colour as long as it's black" suggests the dominance of black, at least for early 20th C. The temptation in a kit that comes in its separated parts (base/body) is to paint it in two tones because you can, but I think that black is probably the way to go if it is to look ordinary. Or was the 1920s landscape more brightly coloured than the B&W photography implies?

Also - where to find spoked car wheels in 4mm? The 2mm society had an article in one of its publications where a very skilled person had wound wire around pins in a star pattern to make the spokes which, I think, were then soldered inside a wheel and the projecting ends cut/filed off.....

Andrew
in Brockley

johnWM

Postby johnWM » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:11 pm

This website
http://a7ca.org/paints.php
gives 1920s colours and the recipes for the colours for Austin 7's built in the 1920s.

Between 1923 and 1939 290,000 Austin 7s were built.

I remember going to an auction when a garage business closed about 15 years ago and the owners father's collection of cars went up for sale. There were some interesting cars, a model T ford shooting brake, that was either bright yellow or white, and maybe 6 or 7 Ford A class cars from the early 30s. The majority of those were in a maroon red colour, although there were a couple of black ones. Not a big sample I know, but I remember going along to the auction expecting the 30s Fords to be mainly black and being surprised when they weren't.

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:01 am

I seem to remember seeing an Austin 7 [I think] in very dark green some years ago.

johnWM wrote:I remember going to an auction when a garage business closed about 15 years ago

15 years ago would have been circa 2000; given the age of the vehicles it seems very likely that all had been repainted at some time as part of a restoration unless they had been in enclosed storage for many decades; the person doing the repainting may have tried to match the original colour[s], although probably using later paint technology, or they may not. I suspect "bright yellow or white" may have been a later alteration, as 1920s/1930s paint technology didn't produce bright colours of the type we are now used to, and the paint finish would have been much more subject to degradation over time than now, while any varnish would have darkened over time.

Noel
Regards
Noel

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Since last posting about the colour schemes for early 20thC cars I purchased various 4mm kits and am at various stages of construction of around 5 vehicles in total.
The disconnect between what was, what was remembered and what is preserved but possibly altered provides an endless speculation over probability. I showed a friend, whose parents married during the war, my two tone (imaginative colour scheme but based on a 1930s car advert)) Riley model and his immediate reaction was that it would be all black (His parents spent their courting days in a BSA 3 wheeler and he remembers the family story of one of the wheels getting stuck in tram tracks at Vauxhall Cross) And yet the advertising in the 30s shows two tone colour schemes. Admittedly this is mostly in colour fill on B&W original photograph or painted advertising image. And presumably fancy colour schemes cost more than plain and none was cheaper than plain black so plain black was fairly standard. I don't suppose anyone's gone through the photographic archive of the 1920s and 1930s and come up with a statiscicsl analysis of black vs other colour schemes in petrol powered vehicles. I would guess most vehicles were plain black. I suppose you have to try and guess what the ordinary past looked like rather than how a concourse winning modern polished and preserved diorama would appear?

Andrew
in Brockley

David B

Postby David B » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:23 am

Have you looked at vintage and classic car auction sites? There was a lovely one by Bonhams recently of the Michael Banfield collection but there are others - H&H is just one.

Search Google for 'vintage vehicle auctions UK'. There are a number of sites and they have previous auctions listed, many with pictures of the vehicles. It is not just the vehicles that are fascinating but the prices as well. They are apparently a very good investment at the moment - assuming you have that amount of money to invest!

I also did an image search for 'pre 1930 Riley' which showed colours green, red, blue, white and polished metal as well as black. When my father bought cars back in the 50's and early 60's, he told me that they often came in a particular colour but you could have a different one if you paid a bit more, rather like one does today for certain 'extras'.

It is a shame that the bulk of road vehicle models are post-1930. The earlier period has some great vehicles.

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Since my previous post Oxford has announced they will be producing an Austin 7 saloon and also a van which should cover a fair range of uses.

HTH

David

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Have you looked on Youtube for old motoring videos? Also a lot on http://www.imcdb.org/?l=en

It's a popular misconception that all pre-war cars were black - they weren't!
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

BrockleyAndrew

Postby BrockleyAndrew » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:29 am

Thanks David and David and Tim

The Auction sites just make me want to switch hobbies and buy a vintage car!! I enjoyed the car in film site, thanks Tim, sort of virtual car-spotters site - doing what I slightly sarcastically posted as impossible: going through the film archive identifying different models. I'm going to keep my Riley two-tone, especially as I stayed boringly mono chromatic with a grey/black scheme.

I re-watched a London in the 1930s DVD last night, trying to keep up with the number of cars painted in black when they appeared in newsreel backgrounds but soon gave up and just enjoyed the footage, albeit with the subject matter slowly trudging towards the war.

Andrew
in Brockley

Noel

Postby Noel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Andrew, I've just read your post from a couple of days ago. Coloured monochrome photos have to be suspect because the source of the colour scheme is unknown, and the colours shown could have come from someone's imagination. Coloured advertising material from the manufacturer is likely to be somewhere near the truth though, subject to the limitations imposed by the differences between printing inks and paints [the original illustration was probably painted in the first place as well, introducing another variable]. Even in pre-ASA days manufacturers would presumably not have wanted to seriously mislead customers - bad for business if the customer rejected the car when it arrived. Most buyers of brand new cars in the 1920s particularly would have been businesses or social classes A and B or people of independent means, as cars were relatively expensive to buy and to run. Even in 1939 there were only 2,000,000 cars on the roads of Britain.

Noel
Regards
Noel

TEZBEDZ

Postby TEZBEDZ » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 pm

Oxford have just released a 1:76 model of Austin 7 in Beige for £4.75 in Hattons looks a lovely little model from the photos, I shall by popping in later in the week to pick one up
Regards

Terry

Return to “Road Vehicles and Figures”