Out of the toybox

Trevor Grout

Re: Out of the toybox

Postby Trevor Grout » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

jim s-w wrote:Thanks for the info Trevor

The chaps on the model truck forum thought I would need them. The 1986 highway code isnt much help as it groups the long vehicle and chevrons all together saying :-

"motor vehicles over 7500 KG gross weight and trailers over 3500 Kg maximum gross weight. The vertical markings are also required to be fitted to builders skips placed in the road. Commercial vehicle or combination longer than 13 metres (optional on combinations between 11 and 13 metres"

I'll swap them for the chevrons I think. Again they seem to be all manner of shapes and sizes. Its pretty hard finding pictures of anything in the 80's (thats not a bus!) let lone its backside! I found my prototype for this one lurking around the back of the Birmingham Bus museum.

While I always do my models for my own enjoyment I love it when something I have done sparks a little story or memory like the one you mentioned here, Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers

Jim

Pleasure Jim, anything that helps to make it that little bit more authentic.

Couple of images for you to assist it getting it right.

REAR MARKINGS.gif

REAR MARKINGS A.gif

REAR MARKINGS B.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback Trevor

I have shortened the tail and ramps and moved the lights. Also added the box for straps and equipment.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

johnWM

Postby johnWM » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 pm

I like models that have the little tell tail signs of the prototypes purpose. It really does look as if the driver has scraped those ramps on the road. He had to adjust the lorries position and did not bother raising the ramps to move a few feet. The bare metal soon rusts over. Lovely.
My other favourite is the Atkinson Seddon tractor and trailer on your web site. The straps on the trailer look as if they could be undone and the curtain sides raised. The tractor looks as if it will nod, cough and snort in the appropriate manner as it leaves the road junction. Camera angle and the posing of the model set it off really nicely.

Trevor Grout

Postby Trevor Grout » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:03 am

jim s-w wrote:Thanks for the feedback Trevor

I have shortened the tail and ramps and moved the lights. Also added the box for straps and equipment.

Cheers

Jim

No doesnt that look a whole lot better, I won't say that the one I drove 15+yrs ago, had a longer wheelbase, could fit two cars on the deck, and also had a aframe so could drag one as well.... :shock:

honestly though Jim it looks much better now.

Return to “Road Vehicles and Figures”