Edwardian Figures

Natalie Graham

Re: Edwardian Figures

Postby Natalie Graham » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:28 pm

The Edwardians at Work section of that film archive has some real gems too. The one of workers Leaving Hornsby's of Grantham is interesting if only for the fact that the first of the workforce to come out of the gates are small boys. Some of those in that film also appear hatless at first glance but on closer inspection have very small caps pushed back on their heads. The only two who do not have hats are two young chaps who seem to come to the gate to be on the film but then go back inside. Presumably they didn't put their caps on as they weren't going out.

David B

Postby David B » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:59 pm

During a pre-Christmas tidy up of paper and things, I came upon this which was taken sometime around 1900. It is off a card from Hampshire Record Office.

Moses Mills c1900r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jayell

Postby jayell » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:30 pm

davidb wrote:During a pre-Christmas tidy up of paper and things, I came upon this which was taken sometime around 1900. It is off a card from Hampshire Record Office.

Moses Mills c1900r.jpg

I know this is really off topic :)

He might be the Moses Mills born in Preston Candove in 1826, he was still living there in 1901 as a widowed agricultural labourer and died in 1916. He had married a Mary Collins in 1849, she died in 1889 age 62.

There was a very famous character Harry 'Brusher' Mills who used to live in the New Forest and well known as a snakecatcher but probably had no connection to Moses.

John
Last edited by jayell on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:51 am

Moses Mills? It looks like Brian Harrap to me :lol:

All the Best
Danny

jayell

Postby jayell » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:32 pm

dcockling wrote:Moses Mills? It looks like Brian Harrap to me :lol:

or would you prefer Brusher's pic for a likeness of Brian

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/biographies/brusher-mills.htm

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Just had email from Mr. Stadden saying that his first figure-sets are available to buy. See http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/oogaugefigures.aspx.

David B

Postby David B » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

I, too, have had an email from Andrew:

The first two Andrew C Stadden OO Gauge Figure sets are now on sale at http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/oogaugefigures.aspx
Each set of ten figures is £10 plus £1.50 P&P UK up to 3 sets, £3 up to 6 sets.
Purchases can be made using the shopping cart on my http://www.acstadden.co.uk website.
If overseas please select the correct postage option.
Alternatively you can pay by cheque made out to 'Andrew C Stadden' and send to Mr A C Stadden, 41 Cove Road, Rustington, West Sussex, BN16 2QN.
Any problems or questions please email enquiries@acstadden.co.uk
Thank you for your interest in this project, if the demand is there the next sets will be Edwardian Railway Staff and Workmen.

The image is of the masters. I have posted it here as a reminder of what you get for your money.

OO Figures 600 06.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:09 pm

guyrixon wrote:Just had email from Mr. Stadden saying that his first figure-sets are available to buy. See http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/oogaugefigures.aspx.

One set of each ordered.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how well I can paint them.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:15 am

Flymo748 wrote:I'm very much looking forward to seeing how well I can paint them.

Cheers
Flymo

2 sets of each ordered here as my Christmas prezzie ...one set as are for Highbridge 1913, the others for Dartmouth must be pushed back as many decades as fashions allow to 1880 latest!

We are fortunate in Bristol in having the famous Reece Winston archive books and photos showing many street scenes through the ages of photography. Much superb material for clothes, barrows etc.

Bristol was closely behind Bath in keeping up with fashion ( one draper quoted this as his reason for buying early railway shares) but as Dartmouth in 1870-1880 was not yet a fashionable place time was slower moving.

I reckon the working chaps will be easier to retro-represent ( Andrew hopes to do some soon) than the gents & ladies, as their urban gear hardly changed for a long time. No need for farmworkers' smocks in grotty industrial Dartmouth except for the odd hay or veggy cart driver!

Please buy lots of Andrew's people so he is encouraged to bring more sets to market.

All pewter hacking and soldering suggestions welcome.

jayell

Postby jayell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:31 am

I immediately ordered one set of each and as Flymo says it will be an interesting exercise painting them. I have thought about asking my wife to have a go at some as one of her interests is glass painting.

John

David Knight

Postby David Knight » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Flymo748 wrote:

Cheers
Flymo

May I suggest this useful site; http://brifayle.ca/

Cheers,

David

David B

Postby David B » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:44 pm

davknigh wrote:May I suggest this useful site; http://brifayle.ca/

This is very interesting. However, on the HO figures page, a link to the source for the painting method did not work, but went to this website, the section on painting miniatures being at http://miniatures.de/painting-miniatures.html

Perhaps someone would like to start a new thread on painting figures when they get going. Who will be first?

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:54 pm

davknigh wrote:
Flymo748 wrote:

Cheers
Flymo

May I suggest this useful site; http://brifayle.ca/

Yes, I'd already found that, and these figures are just the excuse that I've been waiting for to try it out :-)

The techniques seemed counter-intuitive when I first read them, but the results are excellent. I'll be pleased if I can paint something anywhere near as well...

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:30 pm

a link to the source for the painting method did not work
It DID work, it was supposed to acknowledge where Brian's methods came from!
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

David B

Postby David B » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:45 pm

grovenor-2685 wrote:
a link to the source for the painting method did not work
It DID work, it was supposed to acknowledge where Brian's methods came from!
Keith

Ah. I kept getting a 404 page in German.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:50 pm

It does seem to bring up the 404 on occasion, in such cases just use back space on the url to cut it back to the home page then follow the menus, usually works unless the whole thing has vanished.
Try http://miniatures.de/speed-painting-miniatures-fastpaint.html
Keith
PS, which I suppose you did when I check back to your post, :)
K
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

jayell

Postby jayell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:30 pm

I think I prefer this link as it is more oriented towards pewter/lead models, it differs from the others in advocating giving the model a white basecoat first.

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/ ... lcome.html

I am not going to have time before next week to try out any technique, I don't expect to get any figures before then anyway and I need to get brushes and paints. I may be able to get that at the craft shop in Martock but otherwise it means a drive to Dorchester.

John

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 am

I've never been convinced by the exagerated shadows method. It's always looks like a characiture or cartoon to me. Somewhat over exagerated. I guess it's just a style thing but to me it doesn't work in model railways. A wash of thin black seems far more subtle.

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 pm

The auto shading approach using a thin wash over a white undercoat is the one I favour. Solid colours shaded in black seem to produce a much too dark effect. Viewing people at a distance when they look 4mm scale suggests they should be paler and muted in terms of colour and shading. Certainely the complex surfaces of peoplke (as opposed to the flat/smooth ones of locos mean that there are highlights all over and if you don't autoshade on a white undercoat you will need to add them on top of your solid colours.

just realisedd on posting this that peoples avatars give a clear example of what I'm trying to say.
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

jayell

Postby jayell » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:48 pm

My 2 sets have arrived, the actual size (about 1 inch high) make me wonder how much detail we need to worry about, just giving the clothing some colour should be enough, attempting to create 'shadow detail' will be a bit over the top.

John

Craig Warton

Postby Craig Warton » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Like a number of others, I have ordered two sets of each. I model the 1920s so a good number of them will not be suitable, but figurines of this quality really should be supported. The good news is that I received an email from Andrew yesterday and he has received such support for them that he will be starting another set in the new year.
With regards to painting, in military modelling circles they moved from using black for shadowing a long time ago. Osprey produce some good books on painting German WW2 figures - I think these methods would give a better result than too extreme shadowing.

Regards,

Craig

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:41 pm

johnlewis wrote:My 2 sets have arrived, the actual size (about 1 inch high) make me wonder how much detail we need to worry about, just giving the clothing some colour should be enough, attempting to create 'shadow detail' will be a bit over the top.

Well, my two sets have turned up this morning as well. The quality of the mouldmaking and the casting is exquisite.

I did nearly send them back though and ask for the correctly gauged sets. Well, the top of the header cards are marked "OO set 1" and "OO set 2" ;-)

Cheers
Flymo
www.5522models.co.uk

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Flymo748 wrote:
I did nearly send them back though and ask for the correctly gauged sets. Well, the top of the header cards are marked "OO set 1" and "OO set 2" ;-)

In the past people weren't as fat as they are today.....

jayell

Postby jayell » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:56 pm

So now we have these figures they need to be painted but which paints to use is my problem as I don't have a collection of paints already, other than a few GWR colours and some gloss black & white.

Using acrylic paint rather than oil based paint seems to be the way to go so I browsed the internet for suitable paints. Most of the available colours from the likes of Vallejo Game, Reaper Master, GamesWorkshop etc. are aimed at painting of fantastical or military figures so hardly suitable for our Edwardian figures. However looking at the types of acrylic paint available from the art shop in Dorchester I realised it isn't a simple choice of buying half a dozen basic colours as there are several different shades of red, yellow, green or blue to choose from and there are thick and thin types as well.

So what paints are my fellow purchasers of these delightful figures planning on using?

John

David B

Postby David B » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

johnlewis wrote:Most of the available colours from the likes of Vallejo Game, Reaper Master, GamesWorkshop etc. are aimed at painting of fantastical or military figures so hardly suitable for our Edwardian figures.

Why do you say this, John? These paints work extremely well and are used successfully by many modellers on their figures whatever the period. Vallejo in particular have a very wide range of shades and colours. I think the Citadel range from the Games Workshop particularly good. All are acrylics.

There are references to some techniques on posts further up this page. Have a look at this one by Northern Maiden, referred to on RM Web: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1306-northern-maidens-paint-shed/ Look at the 8th post down for her description. She uses Vallejo and Railmatch.

There is a photo of 3 ladies that have already been painted here on RM Web. Look about 3/4 way down the page.

David

Return to “Road Vehicles and Figures”