Airfix release

Tim Hale

Airfix release

Postby Tim Hale » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:47 am

http://rides.webshots.com/album/40123908MPfYOb

After a long dry spell, Airfix has released a pair of Bedford QL's, arguably the most numerous British Army truck of WW2 with over 52,000 produced between '41 and '45. They remained in service both within the regular and TA units until the early 60's, therefore most suitable for steam transition period layouts. Often seen lurking in station yards waiting to collecting the latest batch of National Service 'volunteers' or just collecting stores from the yard.

The cost is very reasonable at about £7.50 for the troop carrier (QLT) and the general purpose cargo truck (QLD), the most numerous version in the series are both included in this set.

They should be easy to civilianise, a QL was still in use at Lions Gate woodyard* until the 90's hauling timber.

Tim

*A352 near Middlemarsh

David Knight

Re: Airfix release

Postby David Knight » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Tim,

Does it say on the box if these are 1/76 or 1/72 scale?

Cheers,

David

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Don't know about the box but it says 1:76 on the Airfix website.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Tim Hale

Postby Tim Hale » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Does it really matter?

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Tim Hale wrote:Does it really matter?

and
I simply wish to know what is the correct wheelbase.

IMHO road vehicles in the wrong scale can look very out of place, a wheelbase a bit off, only a real expert will know if the vehicle is otherwise to scale.
It matters to me, I see a lot of layouts spoiled by putting 1:72 lorries or buses near the trains.
Regards
Keith
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:40 pm

Tim Hale wrote:http://rides.webshots.com/album/40123908MPfYOb

After a long dry spell, Airfix has released a pair of Bedford QL's, arguably the most numerous British Army truck of WW2 with over 52,000 produced between '41 and '45. They remained in service both within the regular and TA units until the early 60's, therefore most suitable for steam transition period layouts. Often seen lurking in station yards waiting to collecting the latest batch of National Service 'volunteers' or just collecting stores from the yard.

The cost is very reasonable at about £7.50 for the troop carrier (QLT) and the general purpose cargo truck (QLD), the most numerous version in the series are both included in this set.

They should be easy to civilianise, a QL was still in use at Lions Gate woodyard* until the 90's hauling timber.

Tim
I can't see the link on the computer I'm using, but I'm wondering if this is the old JB Models kit, which is definitely 1:76.

*A352 near Middlemarsh
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Tim Hale wrote:Does it really matter?

Hi Tim

Put it like this, If I needed one and it was 1:76 scale I would use it. It it was 1:72 I wouldnt so for me all vehicles have to be the same scale as the trains. (still not entirely sure what to do with my Knigwing Volvo as its too big!)

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

doktorstamp

Postby doktorstamp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:27 pm

There was a long series in Military Modeller, over 30 years ago now, depicting vaious conversions etc that one could use the RAF Crash set for. I believe a number of articles have also appeared (or will) for the QL.

regards

Nigel

Return to “Road Vehicles and Figures”